Thread: 458 front lower ball joint removal

Name
    Eddie Walsh

Default 458 front lower ball joint removal

Hi I need to replace the rubber boot/cover in the lower front susp ball joint ?? I have removed the nut but how do I break loose the taper pin without damaging the threads ??, any help appreciated, Regards DM

Name
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by dinoman View Post
    Hi I need to replace the rubber boot/cover in the lower front susp ball joint ?? I have removed the nut but how do I break loose the taper pin without damaging the threads ??, any help appreciated, Regards DM
    Many years ago I sometimes used to remove ball joints by putting some pressure on the removal direction and giving them a sharp whack, sometimes with another heavy hammer on the opposite side. That does work but that was mainly heavy agricultural gear so with a Ferrari I would definitely recommend you invest in a removal / separator tool. I suggest one with a bolt to apply pressure rather than the two pronged chisel type. If really stubborn then perhaps a light tap with pressure applied if absolutely necessary.
    Remember to make sure no weight is on the joint and the car is supported well elsewhere.

Name
    Eddie Walsh

Default 458 front lower ball joint removal

Hi 355, Yes I have done lots of ball joints as you say a good whack with a hammer, but the 458 has an Aly upright and I am loath to do too much whacking on this in case I damage it, I have undone the nut and put an axle stand right under the BJ stud and so now I have the total weight of the front of the car sitting on the stud and I have given the upright a couple of whacks but no sign of it moving ?? squirted some penetrating oil on it as well but still no use, the weight has been on now for 2 days and no sign of it moving, also I cannot see how you can get some sort of puller on it, again any help appreciated, Regards DM

Name
    Mark

A bit of heat, and use two hammers to tap both sides of the taper (the upright) at exactly the same time.

Name
    Eddie Walsh

Default 458 Susp B/Joint removal

HI, MWStewart, thanks I am afraid to put some heat on the Aly upright as I am sure it is heat treated for strength, also do not want to put any heat on the ball Joint as I assume it has some sort of Plastic/Nylon liner which could melt, Regards DM

Name
    Ian

HI, MWStewart, thanks I am afraid to put some heat on the Aly upright as I am sure it is heat treated for strength, also do not want to put any heat on the ball Joint as I assume it has some sort of Plastic/Nylon liner which could melt, Regards DM
    Perhaps some boiling water? Every little helps as they say.

sssdu01 is online now No I'm Spartacus Committee Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

Aluminium expands at about twice the rate of steel so heating up will help, and if the temperature is kept under 200 Celsius it wont effect any hardening treatment (most alloys need to be heated up to 400 plus followed by quenching and age hardening) .

Unfortunately the liner of the ball joint wont like the heat so you are in a no win situation (fluriod nylon melts at just over 200 Celsius)

I would get hold of a screw in type of ball joint extractor (not the fork type) , tighten it up as much as you can, then try to heat up with boiling water i.e pour boiling water on the alloy. If its till stuck then a gentle tap whilst in the heated state can be the final straw that breaks the camels back.

Also resist the temptation to lubricate the ball joint before you put the dust cover on, as they dont need any. Also some additives in lubrication can effect some nylon and make it expand or go soft.

Name
    Mark

You can use heat to warm the ali without damaging anything else - it doesn't need to be smoking hot to make a difference. Think in terms of the ali being just bearable to touch, which is what it would feel like after heavy braking.

Name
    Eddie Walsh

Hi all, thanks so much for all you input, I will definitely try the warm water one ( never thought of that) so well worth a try, I have had a look on Ebay for a puller but I could not find any that looked like they would do the job, so hopefully tha hot water will work, so again Thanks to all, Regards DM