Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Prospective new owner requesting help

Name
    Mark

Default Prospective new owner requesting help

Hello all, I'm new here, so please be gentle! In 3-4 months, I will be in the position to purchase my first Ferrari. Following what I've read in these pages, I have decided to begin my search shortly. I have been looking through the forums etc and am getting the kind of good feeling I had when I first purchased my Alfa GTV - ie, plenty of help, advice, friendly assistance. It must be something about Italian cars that bring out the best owners!

Anyway, on to my questions, if you dont mind? I a have always loved the looks, costs, etc of the 348. I know the obvious differences, but are there many diff's between the tb & ts (aside from the roof!). Also, any items (again other the s/history, etc) that particularly need additional care when inspecting?

I am also pleasantly surprised at the stock/costs/keen servicing prices at Verdi's, does anyone know much about these guys, or any recommendations for anyone else I should check (esp for servicing?) - I'm in the Oxford area?

Thanks very much folks, I really would appreciate your help and look forward to meeting some of you in the coming months/years.

jtremlett is offline Overpriced piece of old tat - Ferrari 250 GTO Club Member
    Name
    J Tremlett

Quote Originally Posted by 348Marky View Post
    Hello all, I'm new here, so please be gentle!
    Hi Mark and welcome.

I have owned my 348 ts for nearly 7 years and have loved every minute of it.

Anyway, on to my questions, if you dont mind? I a have always loved the looks, costs, etc of the 348. I know the obvious differences, but are there many diff's between the tb & ts (aside from the roof!)
    No. There are no mechanical differences.

I am also pleasantly surprised at the stock/costs/keen servicing prices at Verdi's, does anyone know much about these guys, or any recommendations for anyone else I should check (esp for servicing?) - I'm in the Oxford area?
    Verdis have a very good reputation on here.

Jonathan

Name
    Mark

Hello Jonathan, thanks very much.

I've not read any bad words about Verdi's yet, so looking good. I guess TB/TS is just a personal choice thing then. Good to hear about 7+ years of trouble-free for you, like to manage the same if possible.

Name
    Adam

Welcome to CS mate, good luck with your search.

The only advise I would give to you is get any potetial purchase checked out independantly by a reputable dealer, indie or otherwise, it could potentially save you thousands.......

steve f is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Banned user
    Name
    steve

Quote Originally Posted by Hazy View Post
    Welcome to CS mate, good luck with your search.

The only advise I would give to you is get any potetial purchase checked out independantly by a reputable dealer, indie or otherwise, it could potentially save you thousands.......
    why tell people to do what you didnt when you bought your last ferrari

sletti is offline It's basically an old car with a stripe - The Ferrari Challenge Stradale Club Member
    Name
    Stig

Welcome to CS.

There are no shortage of 348 owners on here so I'm sure you can find out what you need.

Added to what Hazy said, make sure all the service history is in place before you part with any of your hard earned.
    S t i g (as in "a Stig"; not "the Stig")
    Please sponsor me on the Palace to palace bike ride in order to raise money for the Princes Trust.

Name
    Chris

Hi Mark.

All IMO..

The tb is lass prone to squeaks/rattles and leaks than the ts, it's also stiffer. For me personally this was enough to outway the open-top motoring thing (I have had targa cars before and rarely removed the top). Personal choice.

Of 2 cars in equal condition (theoretical) one being a 90 model, the other a 92 model, pick the 92->. The car underwent a few changes in the early years -ECU's/Single plate clutch/Suspension mods/Minor engine updates/Different alternator etc etc. The 92-> cars had the battery positioned behind the left front wheel so it's easy to tell the difference.
    Of course a negelected 93 for example would still be a much worse buy than a good 91.

Stuff to look for that could give you an idea how well it has been looked after:

Inop. AC with funny codes on the climate control panel (can be an easy fix, can cost a grand).
    Very slow power windows. Common but can easily be fixed if the owner wanted.
    Passenger door handle inoperative from the inside. A simple fix so why leave it like that?
    Rusty sill cover plates (300ish a pair).
    Very heavy clutch that bites right at the top - probably needs a new plate (210 92on) or plates (420 pre92) + fitting.
    Different tyres front to rear - makes ths handling very iffy.

This is why I'm glad I went to see some more cars after travelling down to the London area to see one described as excellent - but had all the above.

Buy on condition and not 'indicated' mileage. The example above had around 22k on the clock but was 2 years older and looked much worse all round than the 37k one I bought. Even if the SH ties up it does not mean the speedo has not been 'disconnected' for half the year.

There are loads more things to look for that can be expensive (cracked front light - 400) - a search on here and fchat should pull most of it up. I need to get some work done..

BTW, I have had mine two years now and it's needed next to nothing.
    Last edited by chrisx666; 05-10-2006 at 12:51 PM.

Name
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by steve f View Post
    why tell people to do what you didnt when you bought your last ferrari
    Brought it from a mate, knew it was a sweet car

Name
    Mark

Thanks folks, really do appreciate your help. I know I might have a longish search in front of me, but I'm a patient guy! I have always assumed an ind inspection would've been money well spent, but the 'real world' owners tips etc are invaluable.

Interesting to read about 'indicated' mileage - will certainly bear those comments in mind, thanks.

Also, I know not quite the same, but when I purchased my Alfa, went mainly on condition, etc rather than age/mileage.

Sounds like I could be making a move into a real community here...looking forward to it!

Name
    Mark

Hello again folks,

Just been finding my way around the forums, etc and have now seen more than a couple "I'm a new owner....etc, etc" type threads, so I'm really very sorry to repeat, yet again, what has probably been said many times before.

Obviously, I really appreciate the responses, etc to my thread, but I do understand if you all think "oh my god, not another!". sorry! lol.

Cheers,
    Mark

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast