Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Digital SLR - Which one?

Name
    Candellara

Default Digital SLR - Which one?

Want to spend approx 500 on a Digital SLR camera - what's the best buy?

Name
    jos

Market has probably moved on but back in January :

http://www.clubscuderia.co.uk/forum/...digital+camera

jtremlett is offline Overpriced piece of old tat - Ferrari 250 GTO Club Member
    Name
    J Tremlett

Do you have any existing kit (lenses) that you want to be able to use? I bought a Canon in part because I already had a Canon non-digital and knew my investment (such as it was) in the lenses I had for that would not be be wasted. I would say it is between the Canon Eos 400D (the new model that has just replaced the 350D that I have) and the Nikon equivalent (can't remember the model offhand). They seem very evenly matched in reviews I have seen. I have certainly been very pleased with my Canon.

Jonathan

Name
    Candellara

Hi Jonathan

I've no experience of SLR's at all - so need a camera which is pretty idiot proof - more of a beginners SLR but one that with a bit of practice can give me some good results.

Jason

jtremlett is offline Overpriced piece of old tat - Ferrari 250 GTO Club Member
    Name
    J Tremlett

Quote Originally Posted by candellara View Post
    Hi Jonathan

I've no experience of SLR's at all - so need a camera which is pretty idiot proof - more of a beginners SLR but one that with a bit of practice can give me some good results.

Jason
    Jason,

I only have experience of my Canon, not the Nikon equivalent, but I would say it does that (as, I'm sure does the Nikon). It has various modes, including a basic point and shoot mode that gets you going, through modes for specific types of shot (e.g. close ups, portraits etc.) to more advanced modes where you can set the parameters yourself. I'd certainly recommend my 350D (and hence the 400D replacement). I think Francis is a Nikon user and can equally recommend the Nikon (and I think Frac bought the Nikon in the end). The Canon Eos 350D is apparently the world's best-selling digital camera.

Jonathan

Name
    Lee

I can highly recommend the Nikon series cameras. I own a D50 and a D80, and have used the D200 many times. If you're limiting yourself to 500, then you're probably looking at the Canon 350D or the Nikon D70S at a push (maybe 550 with a lens kit). Both are excellent cameras. Most people tend to choose one over the other and stick the brand. I found the Menu system easier on the Nikon D series cameras and have such stuck with them. best thing you can do is, get yourself down to Jessops - hold a Canon and a Nikon. Which feels best to you? The Nikon's without the battery grip are quite small in the hands. Your little finger just seems to hang there! A problem if you have big hands and trying to keep it level (they dont come with image stabilisation on the low-end cameras by default - though you can get IS lenses that do this for you should you wish to change your lens).

If you're wanting to point-and-shoot with the option to learn more as you go then both cameras again will do this. All have auto mode (sorts out shutter, aperture, flash, colour metering, focus points). You can then slowly take over yourself, ie controlling the shutter speed and seeing what effect it has on the pictures etc

Seriously - look at what kits you can get on the run up to xmas. Normally, you can get an all-weather bag, a 1GB Memory card and 1 / 2 lenses to go with it for not a lot more money...no brainer really!

Any more info you need, PM me

Lee

Fraccie is offline Don't mention the war! I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it all right Club Member
    Name
    Ade

hi mate,yes i bought the Nikon D70S as a kit with the nikkor lenses,nikon flash,2 gig memory card etc etc,it was slightly more than you want to spend,but i did not have to buy anything else.Some of the offers i looked at added up to more than the kit when you added up everything else you would need to buy.

The book that is recommended by Dave (A308 MAN) in the other thread is a great beginners guide,and i was a total beginner,the Nikon seemed easy to use as a first camera.I cannot say it is better than the canon as it is the only one i`ve used,i am still a novice but enjoy using it and am pleased with the results.

http://www.fcars.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=6675
    4052'31.17"N............. 2920'25.48"E

Name
    Tom

400D or D50 depending which camp you're in

francisn is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Admin dude
    Name
    Francis Newman

The Nikon D80 has superseded the D70s.

Having been in he professional photo trade for nearly 30 years I still get the pro magazines. there was a comparison betwwen the 400D and the D80 a coupolke of weeks ago. I'll try and dig it out.

However - unless you're a real expert, there isn't a lot between them and as others have said the best thing is to handle them both and see which one you are more comfortable with and which menu system you find easier to understand. For my hands the Canon seems too small - but it may be fine for others.

Name
    Lee

As other "photographers" will be reading this thread - I had an accident last night with my SB800... if anyone has one going spare or is considering getting rid, please PM me!! Need one urgently .....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast