Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 355 Misfire

Name
    Mark McArdle

Default 355 Misfire

My 8 year old 22,000 mile 355 suddenly developed what seemed like a bad misfire a few weeks ago when out for a summer's evening blast. I put it in the garage and tried to forget about it whilst I went on holiday hoping it was something simple like a plug lead or coil pack or something else relatively cheap. Anyway, it went off to Graypaul in Leeds yesterday and the Service Manager has just phoned to deliver the killer blow; "No compression on no. 7 cylinder". The only good news being that as the engine was coming out for the belts to be done it would be easier (cheaper) to investigate and fix.
    I presume this is either bad or very bad news? Anyone care to guess the cause (and the cost to repair)?

Name
    Ade

I hope for your sake its not a similar problem I had on my 355.

Was your car burning any oil ?

Shot cylinder liner, set of piston rings or your valve guide have started to go.... or a combination of all due to lack of oil circulation just in that cylinder.

The cost is likely to be extra astronomical if you get GrayPaul to do the lot surely.... what is their hourly rate?

OK firstly 22 hours for the belts (taking out engine etc). Plus another 20-40 hours for investigation, taking off the head, rebuilding/replacing components, relapping in valves (Im not sure when this does/doesnt HAVE to be done?). If you choose to pay 100/hour that alone is going to be 4-5K. Plus somewhere between 1-4K in parts.... unless you do some homework and shop around (it seems - I didnt). Plus VAT. Plus a new cigar collection and rolex for the dealer.

Why not consider going to smaller independent garage like Rardley (in Surrey) who only charge 50-60 per hour. It might end up saving you 2-3 grand. I know it would have knocked 3,000 off my 12,000 bill.

Name
    Mark McArdle

Thanks Ade, I knew it would make me feel better to hear that it might be a trifling 12 grand or so....
    God knows what Graypaul's hourly rate is (I was quoted 3k for an 18K service and belt change) but anyway it's there now and I'm in Newcastle so I'll just have to take what comes.
    I wasn't aware of it burning oil (there didn't seem to be any smoke) but to be honest I've never checked it.

Angelis is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Sy

Mark you have a PM

Name
    Ade

Quote Originally Posted by markymark
    I wasn't aware of it burning oil (there didn't seem to be any smoke) but to be honest I've never checked it.
    Ah ok, when you say you never checked it, do you mean the level on the dipstick? Or do you mean never looked specifically for any sign of smoke coming out when you revved the car?

If the system was very low (3+ litres down), then all manner of hell is going to break loose at the top of the engine. You wont have seen much smoke burning in this instance I would imagine, as not much oil around the valve guides to burn. As soon as you would have topped it up, it would have bellowed out smoke.

Still its too early to say whats going on until you have a bit more information, so hold tight, your bill might be a lot smaller. Fingers crossed for you

Name
    Andy Rasool

My 8 year old 22,000 mile 355 suddenly developed what seemed like a bad misfire a few weeks ago when out for a summer's evening blast. I put it in the garage and tried to forget about it whilst I went on holiday hoping it was something simple like a plug lead or coil pack or something else relatively cheap. Anyway, it went off to Graypaul in Leeds yesterday and the Service Manager has just phoned to deliver the killer blow; "No compression on no. 7 cylinder". The only good news being that as the engine was coming out for the belts to be done it would be easier (cheaper) to investigate and fix.
    I presume this is either bad or very bad news? Anyone care to guess the cause (and the cost to repair)?
    Mark

Bad new im afraid but my car has suffered the same problem, so i know how you are feelin. My car had a PPI in the summer by Neil Lucas and flew through. Unfortunately my buyer who had me tagged along for months and then pulled out.

A few months later im driving my car and the car starts driving rough. Sounds rough and drives worse. There was no signs before that the problem was there or likely to happen. Went into the garage and they confirmed Cylinder #3 on my car was down and misbehaving.

There was no option but sort it out before putting it back on the market. Engine came out and it turned out to be the exhaust valve. Heads and valves were in good condition but some valves needed skimming, and the exhaust valve guides were worn. Obviously the cambelts are being done as well which was due at the end of the year and the whole engine is being re-sealed. Camseals are being renewed, the whole engine is being cleaned properly and camcovers re-sprayed. Also having the plenunm chamber sandblasted and re-laquered.

The valve guides cost me 30 each from EUrospares, Ferrari price more than double that! But needed 16 so thats nearly 500 + vat! On top of that usual service parts plus the biggie is gonna be the work on the top end. Im expecting about 1000 more for parts, but no less. Also expecting another 2K or so on labour as its an independant. In total best part of 4K, and thats being done at a good price.

One thing I wanna say about engine out cambelts is it does not take 22 hours as someone else mentioned. I asked the mechanics how long it took them and they said 4 hours to take out and probably about 6 hours to put back in. So independants and Ferrari themselves are ripping us all off for taking a further 12 hours to change belts and change oils and filters etc.

I reckon if i went to a indie then I would be paying about 1.5K in labour, but probably more compared to what im paying now.

If you are interested in more details or using these guys call me on 0786 67 786 07 and we can talk about it.

BTW if anyone is interested in the Mondial t it will be up for sale from next week when i get the car back. Its gonna be the most sorted Mondial t on the market!
    Last edited by Modificata; 31-08-2006 at 10:57 PM.

Name
    Ade

bump, any update from the garage yet?

Murph7355 is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Murph

...I'll just have to take what comes...
    Unless you have money to burn, do NOT take this approach.

Insist on quotes and cap the spend. It *may* end up significantly cheaper to get the car trailered elsewhere if the diagnosis is bad.

On the other hand, if you do have money to burn I have plenty of matches

Name
    Mark McArdle

Default Update

Just had an update from Graypaul...
    Not as bad as I'd feared. Apparently three valves are damaged on No.2 cylinder. Fortunately no damage to pistons or anything else below. One of the valves had a big chip out of it so God knows how that happened (any ideas?). Compression on all other cylinders is good. The financial damage is 1500 inc VAT which doesn't seem too unreasonable when you've been building yourself up for a 12K bill (funny how that works). It does help that the engine was out for a cambelt change ofcourse so I suppose I've been lucky in that it could have happened next month after the service and belt change.
    Has anyone ever heard of or had experience of 'valve damage' like this?

Name
    Jason

I was in grimaldi's last week and they had a 355 with the same. The engine was out and it was in the low 20s with mileage. I was informed that there were a batch of engines that had a problem and all seemed to develope it at around 20k miles. They are very good and reasonably priced too.

http://www.grimaldiengineering.co.uk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast