What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

200 cell 'sports' cats on a 360

tom

Is anyone running 200 cell cats on a 360? Does it pass an MOT OK?

A few results in the archives but nothing that recent!

Tom, I can't directly answer your question about 360s but I'd be very surprised if modern 200 cell cats weren't much better than the OEM cats in terms of emissions. Obviously an older vintage but when I switched to modern 200 cell cats on the 348 the emissions were far better than with OEM cats and weren't close to failing the MOT on that count, emissions are pretty good for an old motor now. I can't see a 360 giving worse emissions with them fitted. They also obviously sound better and seem to help throttle response so all in all they were a win win to fit.

1.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks. I think my OEM cats are shot and have had some 200s fitted, but apparently they made basically no difference to the emissions over the dead OEM cats. Which I was surprised about. I suspect they weren't hot enough.

Unless the 200s are dead as well.

my 355 has 200 cell cats and passes its mot. when i had a 348 that also had 200 cell cats which also passed; although these didnt last too long, curca 3 years.

Thanks. I think my OEM cats are shot and have had some 200s fitted, but apparently they made basically no difference to the emissions over the dead OEM cats. Which I was surprised about. I suspect they weren't hot enough.

Unless the 200s are dead as well.
That does surprise me if the new cats were working as they should. Again, I know very little about 360s but with the 348 and with a much more free flow intake and exhaust setup than OEM (higher flow air filter, 200 cell cats and Tubi exhaust) I always do an ECU reset before the MOT to make sure the system is operating at optimum. Might not be something that's required with a newer car but with older ones it makes a difference.

I know the procedure for an ECU reset with a 348, afraid I have no idea if it's the same with a 360.

I don't know about 200 cell cats, but a mate has a 360 with a decated Capristo stage 3. He puts the cats back on to pass the MOT.
Each to their own, but doing that would more than likely nullify his insurance even if an accident had nothing to do with cats. It counts as an illegal modification so his insurance company wouldn’t have to pay out and he could well be charged with driving without insurance. Cat removal is checked from time to time now, police will do it on loud cars and I wouldn’t put it past an insurance company to check if it got them out of a big bill. I’m sure it makes a nice sound but possibly wouldn’t be worth it if you got caught out. High flow sports cats are arguably a smarter move.

Each to their own, but doing that would more than likely nullify his insurance even if an accident had nothing to do with cats. It counts as an illegal modification so his insurance company wouldn’t have to pay out and he could well be charged with driving without insurance. Cat removal is checked from time to time now, police will do it on loud cars and I wouldn’t put it past an insurance company to check if it got them out of a big bill. I’m sure it makes a nice sound but possibly wouldn’t be worth it if you got caught out. High flow sports cats are arguably a smarter move.
I didn't think you were technically meant to even change the catalyst on an exhaust system these days, unless the replacement part is type approved? Don't take as gospel, just based on my Googling recently given my current predicament.

I've had decatted cars in the past and don't want to risk it with something of the value of the CS.

I went to drive the car today to try to get the cats really hot and even after 45mins of hooning about (which was good fun) we were still reading over double the CO MOT limit :( I've bitten the bullet and ordered some brand new 200 cells to rule out the second-hand ones I have on there now. Obviously you can't get the OEM ones now and I don't want to spend £1500 on a second hand pair that might fail in a year anyway.

What a palaver.

Sounds it. I'm pretty sure you'd be fine legally replacing cats with newer ones that both make the emissions better and are advertised as for that car. Mine are from Nouvalari (PD Gough) and I bought them as cats for a Ferrari 348. I'm pretty sure no court in the land will convict you for cleaning up your emissions over OEM. You do have to inform your insurance company though, as you do when you change the exhaust from OEM.

In the past I have been pulled by plod when driving faster stuff. They do a roadside emission check as they were having a purge on cars with no cats. Last time I was in my Elise and the layby looked like a boy racers dream car park full of sports cars/hot hatches/EVO's 🤣

In the past I have been pulled by plod when driving faster stuff. They do a roadside emission check as they were having a purge on cars with no cats. Last time I was in my Elise and the layby looked like a boy racers dream car park full of sports cars/hot hatches/EVO's 🤣
I have heard of this happening, although not yet out here in the depths of rural Lincolnshire. Just not worth the risk imo.