What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

America!s Cup

AJ3XX

Really looking forward to following this. First race of this completion kicks off this weekend. Heading to Portsmouth this morning so hoping to get a climps of these epic boats, which are currently the fastest wind powered crafts.

A four day event that kicks off today. They are suppose to be doing a bit of a display today on the water before racing at the weekend. I'm heading to IOW this evening so won't get to see the racing live :(

Shame they didn't do a round-the-island race, I would have an epic view off my balcony.

Those boats are phenomenal.....how they keep them balanced on the plane is beyond me.....
Isn't Adrain Newey involved also?

Those boats are phenomenal.....how they keep them balanced on the plane is beyond me.....
Isn't Adrain Newey involved also?

Yes, especially when they get them up on the foils, they're barely touching the water. I tried an RS600 with foils and it impossible to sail..... for San old boy :(

Adrian Newey is running RBAT ( Red Bull Advanced Technology ) who have partnered up with BAR ( Ben Ainsley Racing ). Could be a dynamic partnership.

Looking at some vids they certainly look very very high tech, and will be massively demanding to design and produce.
Isn't it something like the Americans have held the cup since the 1800's ?

Best view I got was from the Ferry ! Not much to see off shore, nice they had left.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437652230.213826.jpg

This was photo I 'wish' I could have got ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437652271.427030.jpg

Only 5 of the 6 boats went out, the French one didn't. Two British Helms out of Six shows the level of UK sailing at the moment.

Down at southsea tomorrow to check out the village, and any sailing if they decide to venture out. Weather is not forecast to be very good from lunchtime.

Is it a boat or is it a plane :hmmm: reminds me of the "Caspian Sea Monster" which was a wingless, (virtually), ground effect machine which skimmed across the water supported on a cushion of air.
I think you're referring to a hovercraft :wink3:

I think you're referring to a hovercraft :wink3:

The Caspian Sea Monster was not a hovercraft : it was a 1960s Russian-designed ground effect aircraft that took advantage of the lift generated by the cushion of air that exists between the wings of a very low flying aircraft and the ground.
Obviously the sea is predominantly flat so the effect is most valuable over water.

The Russians produced a whole series of these craft known as "Ekranoplans" using the principal. The military sea monster was the largest with a wingspan of 37m and a length of 92m.
It was designed to carry 250,000kg of cargo and troops at an altitude of 5m-10m at a speed in excess of 250knots !

195mswdpa3jq.jpg

The Caspian Sea Monster crashed and sunk in the 1980s through pilot error and as the dry weight was 240,000kg it was too heavy to be recovered.

Some years ago James May tried a small twin engined four-seater passenger version the size of a Cessna on a frozen lake and was very impressed with it.
The U Tube video below shows both the original Sea Monster in flight and his flight in the smaller version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch2zs-7je_s

There was a really good documentary on wing-in-ground-effect craft a few years ago. It must be on you tube.....

On topic....is it just me who thinks these AC 45 (and 72's) are dangerous when hydrofoiling?

With the speeds involved if they 'catch an edge' it can only end in disaster...

An absolutely unreal spectator sport though.....

There was a really good documentary on wing-in-ground-effect craft a few years ago. It must be on you tube.....

On topic....is it just me who thinks these AC 45 (and 72's) are dangerous when hydrofoiling?

With the speeds involved if they 'catch an edge' it can only end in disaster...

An absolutely unreal spectator sport though.....

I still prefer the J class yachts. e.g. Bill Stephenson's Valsheda, a proper boat :love: and built in Gosport :thumbsup: www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x_VD78VeAI

Well the weather wasn't great ...for spectators anyway. It absolutely chucked it down.
This was the best of the weather before visibility deteriorated sending me off to the beer tent 🍺🍺
uploadfromtaptalk1437752231501.jpg

I still prefer the J class yachts

I have to agree. These modern Cats are technically fascinating but nothing like as elegant as the J's

It's the same with Formula 1 though, isn't it ?

Compare the current Mercedes with unsightly winglets and other aerodynamic devices plastered all over it with simple elegance of a Lotus 33, a W196 or my favourite, the Ferrari 312b.

PA1636951.0036.jpg

lotus-33-climax-01.jpg

stirlingmoss_mercedes_w196-2.jpg

proxy.php.jpg

But even a J Class Yacht pales into insignificance compared with the most beautiful creation ever designed by a man ...................

Jaguar-E-Type1-620x277.jpg
Jaguar-E-Type-620x277.jpg

E type v 360

For me the wheels and wheelbase detract from the looks of the E type, the raodster is better, but the 360 is far better proprtioned and sexier.:thumbsup:

For me the wheels and wheelbase detract from the looks of the E type, the roadster is better, but the 360 is far better proprtioned and sexier.:thumbsup:

Mr Ferrari would not have agreed with you !

And it's an E Type, not a Ferrari in the New York Museum of Modern Art..............

Mr Ferrari would not have agreed with you !

And it's an E Type, not a Ferrari in the New York Museum of Modern Art..............

You almost had me there Chris until you mentioned the US of A and Art :laugh:, Mr Ferrari may have said that about the E-type and I agree that the body is very elegant, it's just that, to me, it's like purchasing a Saville Row suit and then buying your shoes in Primark :shocked:

As this is a thread about the Americas Cup and boats, perhaps we can leave the discussion about beautiful cars for another thread.

FWIW I'm a Pre-Raphaelite fan and think that one of the most beautiful paintings of all time is Ophelia by Millais, whereas you're probably a Van Gogh fan and prefer Sunflowers:grin: