What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

EV vs Hybrid vs Sustainable fuels - Harry's Garage

Nosevi

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting look at how Sustainable Fuels may be slowly breaking through onto the market with companies like Crown Oils providing them commercially in the UK, although at present they are expensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO1RiTCZFFg

With significantly less money in the coffers post pandemic and with the frankly staggering cost to both government and consumer of completely changing transport infrastructure in order to accommodate 100% electrification, I think Sustainable Fuels which have the potential of achieving net zero CO2 without the vast infrastructure change full electrification would require, are becoming a more and more attractive proposition for governments. Time will tell if they keep charging headlong down the full electrification route or look at a more diverse solution which will achieve the aim at far less long term cost and ironically less harm to the environment. Will common sense prevail?

Bit of a rhetorical question that last bit because it rarely does.

Will common sense prevail?

Pete are you on something class A ?? Of course it wont, as we have decisions being made by politicians and civil servants. We are heading towards the classic "I dont like it so we should ban it" scenario, when the better policy is to focus on developing the "green alternative" to the point where is costs less than what we have now.

Fortunately the really clever people arent in government, so will just ride a coach and horses through the gaps left in the legislation, delivering Sustainable Fuel that gets a tick in the "Green Box". Yes it is more expensive to produce at the moment, but doesnt attract the high levels of fuel duty, so I suspect it will eventually cost the same as we now pay for petrol.

I used to worry that all my petrol driven toys would end up as expensive scrap but I dont worry any more, since all the big car companies are heavily investing in alternative fuels. Without them what the heck will we do with all the green wind/wave/solar energy that we are going to be generating on a sunny day when we dont need it :laugh:

Yep, I'm no longer worried for the continued use of petrol cars like my Ferrari just as long as, for no reason other than what you've given once they are running carbon neutral, they are eventually banned.

What I do wonder is what could be achieved if anything close to the effort being put into EVs was put into scaling efuels / sustainable fuels allowing us to keep using existing infrastructure and existing vehicles while actually being better for the environment as a whole. Where common sense seemed to have failed I wonder if the economic argument (ie we simply can't afford a complete switch to EV) will hold more weight.

agree. same goes for tidal. 100% predicable power delivery for ever! but why isnt the government investing in it in the same way as wind etc? because the politicians and civil servants are idiots!!

you should hear some of the conversations ive had on autonomous funding from BIS; you’d cry at the ignorance and out right waste of money.

Tidal

Ok so you mentioned it and I was asked the other day and I've no idea: has anyone made it work reliably and at an industrial scale ?