What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

FF engine failure

robinwilson

I have a 2014 FF with 16K miles on the clock. A few weeks ago it developed a load clunking noise. This turned out to be a major engine problem with damage to the big and small end bearings. This has been caused by clogging of the oil pump by excessive sealant used when the engine was built resulting in starving the engine of oil. See photos. Has anyone else had this problem with these V12 engines?

Attachments

• RW FF Engine Pic 3.pdf
    257.3 KB · Views: 35
wow! hope you have some service history to show which idiot tech did this and get some compensation!

Isn't it sort of odd that it's taken 8 years for excessive sealant used when building the engine to finally clog the filter, especially as an oil filter will have been changed at every service. You'd expect it to show up much earlier. Are you certain no work has been done since that could have resulted in this?

I can only go by what the Ferrari engineer tells me. He says the engine had not obviously been removed and dismantled before. Full Ferrari service history and no documentation anywhere to suggest this happened anytime since it left the factory.

By mistake I did not renew the Power 15 in July (there was no reminder). Now Ferrari are refusing to renew it even when the car is fixed.

Current warranty or not; Id be talking to ferrari about their legal obligations under the Consumer Rights Act 2015. Goods must be free from defect for 6 years! Bit of easy googling will bring the details.

Depending on the bill, Id be seeking legal advice and making sure Ferrari know this. Especially with a full ferrari service history!

Many thanks.

The car is now eight years old so likely outside this legislation. My son is a corporate lawyer.

I contacted Ferrari and they said they would only look at this through one of their official dealers. Dealer said not worth the effort of transferring the dismantled car and engine as Ferrari would be very unlikely to be sympathetic and the process would likely just cost me even more. I offered to send Ferrari the pictures but they declined.

Just wanted to see if anyone else had come across this problem?

I will just put this down to experience. Very likely no more Ferrari for me.

sounds like you wont get anything; but id make there life difficult nevertheless; but maybe thats just me!

if you havent, post up on fchat.

Current warranty or not; Id be talking to ferrari about their legal obligations under the Consumer Rights Act 2015. Goods must be free from defect for 6 years! Bit of easy googling will bring the details.

Depending on the bill, Id be seeking legal advice and making sure Ferrari know this. Especially with a full ferrari service history!
“Fit for purpose and last a reasonable length of time”?
I’d argue a quarter of a million quid car should last longer than 16k miles and 8 years especially when Ferrari have looked after it throughout.
I think a court would agree also….. stand your ground.

Really sorry to hear. Dreadful news. I haven't heard so much of this issue. The usual issues I hear with FF's are faults with the PTU (power transfer unit) and some rare cases faults with the DCT (dual-clutch transmission).
I hope you can get it sorted and keep your Ferrari.