What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

First time Ferrari - California

irdan87

Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy my first Ferrari next Spring for my 32nd birthday!

I've never gone close to this level of motor before, my finest so far being a Mercedes C63 AMG so this is all a bit new so any advice appreciated.

My wife will be driving a Merc GLE and it'll also be the 'main' family car and I'll have the Ferrari for alone times or weekends with just the baby (my daughter is only with us every other weekend)

I need a 2+2 (however impractical the back seats are they should fit a boy of 18 months at the time of purchase in). So I've looked at another Merc C63, Porsche 911, and now finally arrived at a Ferrari California.

I've got a budget of approx 80k (could push a bit higher for the right car) so I'm looking at a circa 10/11 Cali. Anything negative to look out for on these cars? Or any reasoning to up budget for a newer version?

I've been doing some online research and can't see much reasoning to go newer than the 2010 which appear to be 20-30k less than the 2013+?

I'll be looking for a white body with red trim and grey/black 20" wheels.

Thanks!

Just the main thing that few will tell you.

Mercedes is a high volume mainstream manufacturer so you may well have gotten used to modern stone-axe reliability.

Ferrari by contrast is a low volume niche maker that cannot possibly afford the level of tooling and engineering that goes into a volume car.

Go into it with your eyes open to that and you will have a blast.

Use it regularly for best results.

Just the main thing that few will tell you.

Mercedes is a high volume mainstream manufacturer so you may well have gotten used to modern stone-axe reliability.

Ferrari by contrast is a low volume niche maker that cannot possibly afford the level of tooling and engineering that goes into a volume car.

Go into it with your eyes open to that and you will have a blast.

Use it regularly for best results.

Thank you for the reply. I will probably add 6-8k miles a year.

I’m no high earning by any stretch compared to many Ferrari owner but after living costs etc I do usually save a respectable figure monthly.

Would you look at getting a Ferrari warranty or play it by ear? I must admit I’m tempted to get one for peace of mind. The roof breaking wouldn’t be pleasant.

Anything which would make you recommend a newer Cali over the 2010?

Thanks again

Something to bear in mind is the performance: your current C63 is a little bit quicker than the 2008-2015 California. There are other benefits to the California of course, but it's something to be aware of.

Something to bear in mind is the performance: your current C63 is a little bit quicker than the 2008-2015 California. There are other benefits to the California of course, but it's something to be aware of.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not much of a speedfreak, I enjoy acceleration but top end isn't for me and they seem very similar stats 0-60. It's more about having that itch regarding a Ferrari that needs scratching whilst I can afford to - never know what's round the corner!

Thanks

Can I ask for those who finance there vehicles, do Ferrari Financial Services offer balloon HP on approved vehicles? Or just HP/PCP on new?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations/contacts for low APR brokers/financers? I've spoken to JBR.

FOC have a tie-in with Oracle Finance - might be worth a call

I've emailed Oracle Finance along with 4 or 5 other companies I've seen recommended. Had one quote back so far. 7.1% APR seems high though and quite a low balloon. I was hoping to get closer to 1k a month or am I barking up the wrong tree?

I've found a vehicle I like and considering moving early;

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...to=100000&advertising-location=at_cars&page=1

Here are the figures I got:

Vehicle Cost
£ 89,950.00
Less deposit
£ 8,995.00
Payable by
36 monthly payments of
£ 1,711.86
1 Final Payment of
£ 31,400.00
Customer PAF
Annual Percentage Rate
7.1%
Total Amount Payable
£ 102,021.96

Vehicle Cost
£ 89,950.00
Less deposit
£ 13,500.00
Payable by
36 monthly payments of
£ 1,573.01
1 Final Payment of
£ 31,400.00
Customer PAF
Annual Percentage Rate
7.1%
Total Amount Payable
£ 101,528.36

Well .... the one you have found certainly ticks the "red interior" box :grin:

Did you get the finance quote via JCT600 ?

I can certainly recommend Andy Wise at Fast Cars, 01635785400. Was recommended to me by Roger at The Ferrari Centre. (I didn't buy through Roger, but know him via a family contact.)

I wouldn't use JBR. I spoke to them and they were encouraging me to make a false declaration on the finance forms!!

Last edited:
Well .... the one you have found certainly ticks the "red interior" box :grin:

Did you get the finance quote via JCT600 ?

Red interior deffo ticked 😂😂
I haven’t yet no. Does anyone know whether they offer balloon HP? I don’t fancy paying 2-2.5k a month on standard Hp.

Any idea on future residuals guys? In 4 years.

I can certainly recommend Andy Wise at Fast Cars, 01635785400. Was recommended to me by Roger at The Ferrari Centre. (I didn't buy through Roger, but know him via a family contact.)

I wouldn't use JBR. I spoke to them and they were encouraging me to make a false declaration on the finance forms!!

Really? That’s a concern. Makes you think what there small print could include.

What are your thoughts o the above quotes? The residual seems extremely low to me which means I’ll have a healthy equity but I’d like to keep the payments to 1k a month.

Red interior deffo ticked [emoji23][emoji23]
I haven’t yet no. Does anyone know whether they offer balloon HP? I don’t fancy paying 2-2.5k a month on standard Hp.

Any idea on future residuals guys? In 4 years.

It may depend on the car but Ferrari Finance is available on main Ferrari approved used cars. HP, PCP options will be available and they can be more flexible than brokers I feel.
Had a couple of quotes over 4 yrs on a 458 and 430 scud. Admittedly I was putting over 50% deposit but got figures as low as 6.3% apr at £650 a month. 80k and 100k balloons so was basically paying interest only.
I would definitely enquire down the Ferrari finance route as they will possibly give you a better deal to make the sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think these are great cars, and frequently under-rated. I am biased, but bought mine 2 years ago and absolutely love it - fits the bill for me perfectly. I did get lucky with the carbon Sports seats which are quite rare in a Cali....

They are very sturdy cars - (fingers crossed!!!) - hopefully it shouldnt pose many problems for you.

Wow - that really is a red interior isn't it!