What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

McLaren 650S Spider: 3 Years as my Daily Driver

Boxer

Just crossed the anniversary line for using the McLaren 650S Spider as my daily driver for 3 years. Just finished an article on the experience:

http://karenable.com

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_17e8d.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_17e8d.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 546
Interesting to hear; thanks for writing up.

What sort of mileage did you cover in that time?

About 3k a year. I travel more that 50% of the time which is why it seems a bit low. Also 675LT Spider and F40 have been getting all the road trip duties.

Sorry slightly off topic. I am thinking of getting a Porsche Cayenne as a daily, so am more than a tad interested in reliability issues you experienced.

About 3k a year. I travel more that 50% of the time which is why it seems a bit low. Also 675LT Spider and F40 have been getting all the road trip duties.

That's certainly reasonable mileage on a daily, especially with a lot of travel.

(I use to do lots of travel in a pervious job, damn glad I don't anymore. Spending the airmiles was nice, but accumulating them certainly wasn't.)

Just crossed the anniversary line for using the McLaren 650S Spider as my daily driver for 3 years. Just finished an article on the experience:

http://karenable.com

Interesting read. I was fortunate enough yesterday to have a trip out in a 675LT Spider. A friend had sold his 458 Speciale and replaced it with the 675. Jeez, what a machine. I've been fortunate enough to own a few Supercars, had drive's of some hypercar's (F40's etc) but the 675 really is something else

I am still reeling from the acceleration and sound of this car. Not really a big Maclaren fan but it's fair to say, I'm wholly impressed with the 675LT

I keep finding myself looking at McLarens, and have been again over the last few days. I think they're stunning looking cars and the appreciation of Ferrari's and the depreciation of McLarens makes the 12Cs a possibility. When I looked a couple of years ago, I reckoned I'd need to sell the 360, sell the Aston and find £30k. Now I reckon I could sell the 360, keep the Aston and simply add £20k to get on the bottom rung. But, the cons.....

Running costs are high. I wouldn't own one without a warranty, and that's £5.5k a year. Although it is apparently very comprehensive.
When I enquired about insurance a couple of years ago, I was told that car alone would be over £2k - which is more than I currently pay for all 4 cars combined.
Everything is still "too McLaren". Even if you accept that you won't find a local indy to service the car, they haven't even released the paint codes. It's all too tied in.

Biggest con for me though - and this is an odd one - is that I don't think I actually want a ~600bhp rwd car. I know that my 360 isn't much faster than the average hot hatch these days - but to me, it's a pretty perfect balance of speed, noise and handling.

Sorry slightly off topic. I am thinking of getting a Porsche Cayenne as a daily, so am more than a tad interested in reliability issues you experienced.

On the Cayenne, we have had to replace vacuum hoses, drive shaft, seat back on the drivers side (it literally fell off one day) windshield wiper fluid system and a list of other annoying items.

That's certainly reasonable mileage on a daily, especially with a lot of travel.

(I use to do lots of travel in a pervious job, damn glad I don't anymore. Spending the airmiles was nice, but accumulating them certainly wasn't.)

You are luckier than I am, my kids seem to spend all my airmails

Interesting read. I was fortunate enough yesterday to have a trip out in a 675LT Spider. A friend had sold his 458 Speciale and replaced it with the 675. Jeez, what a machine. I've been fortunate enough to own a few Supercars, had drive's of some hypercar's (F40's etc) but the 675 really is something else

I am still reeling from the acceleration and sound of this car. Not really a big Maclaren fan but it's fair to say, I'm wholly impressed with the 675LT

IMHO, the 675LT is the best car McLaren has produced since the F1. Only thing that will probably top it is the Senna.

On the Cayenne, we have had to replace vacuum hoses, drive shaft, seat back on the drivers side (it literally fell off one day) windshield wiper fluid system and a list of other annoying items.

Thank you. Much appreciated.

Really funny to read this now almost exactly a year since I commented it - with the reasons I couldn't bring myself to buy a McLaren.

Not only have I bought one, I've actually bought exactly this model. Subliminal?

Still have the same worries I had a year ago mind you!

Really funny to read this now almost exactly a year since I commented it - with the reasons I couldn't bring myself to buy a McLaren.

Not only have I bought one, I've actually bought exactly this model. Subliminal?

Still have the same worries I had a year ago mind you!

Very cool. Enjoying it?

Very cool. Enjoying it?

Can't say yet - deposit paid, planned collection date is 27th.

I was unconvinced after the first test drive, but the second test drive was on roads I knew - and I was very very impressed. Really looking forward to it.

Can't say yet - deposit paid, planned collection date is 27th.

I was unconvinced after the first test drive, but the second test drive was on roads I knew - and I was very very impressed. Really looking forward to it.

Congrats and let me know if I can help with any questions. Enjoy.