What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

Monza (on a budget) tips?

J70

Hope it wont happen, but there is gossip that Monza might not be on the F1 calendar from 2016.
I've been before, but years ago, when the RedCars were going through a bad patch, and the crowd literally went home. (Never seen anything like it)

But, if the unthinkable is about to happen, I aught to put in place a plan to take my Petrolheadintraining son to the "Temple of Speed" especially if there is a chance of a Ferrari win, and to grab a look at the famous 348 that isnt allowed to lead into T1.

Being "unplanned" (yet) I haven't a budget to present to the powers that be, therefore am fishing for tips to rough it on the cheap?

I found that Camping site last night too. Thanks.
The "admin" with Spa is a lot easier, and it would be my preference in a "normal" season, but if this is the last Monza (cant see it, but need to prepare) I want to go.

Talking of Spa - its the Spa Classic at the end of May, 100Euros buys you some track time if you turn up in a qualifying car, of which ours are.

I found that Camping site last night too. Thanks.
The "admin" with Spa is a lot easier, and it would be my preference in a "normal" season, but if this is the last Monza (cant see it, but need to prepare) I want to go.

Talking of Spa - its the Spa Classic at the end of May, 100Euros buys you some track time if you turn up in a qualifying car, of which ours are.

Got to make the effort to get to one of these soon. Only ever done the British GP and normally as a guest for one reason or another (long story that I won't go into here other than to say the military has some pretty nifty kit that broadcasters used to want to use. Their kit is probably better than our non-encrypted kit now so those day have sadly gone......) Anyway, watching this thread with interest as doing it on a budget would probably be more fun that doing it and splashing out, certainly what a mate of mine who does Le Mans every year tells me.

Regarding Monza being about to be dropped, seriously don't see it. Looks like a bargaining chip is being played by someone (Bernie perhaps?) rather than a real threat. Ferrari still in F1 and no Italian GP? It's not going to happen. In fact take this as a personal bet, Matt - if it does I will buy you a pint. If however the threat allows you and your lad to head to Monza for an epic weekend I'll swear blind to your misses that it's imminent :)

Regarding Monza being about to be dropped, seriously don't see it. Looks like a bargaining chip is being played by someone (Bernie perhaps?) rather than a real threat. Ferrari still in F1 and no Italian GP? It's not going to happen. In fact take this as a personal bet, Matt - if it does I will buy you a pint. If however the threat allows you and your lad to head to Monza for an epic weekend I'll swear blind to your misses that it's imminent :)

No, heart says it wont happen. And hopefully Ferrari have the power of veto. Part of my head says is wont happen either.
But their contract runs out, so it <could> happen. Wouldnt be suprised if there is a substantial list of emerging nations queuing up to host a GP.

And dont forget, Germany.

1) With Schumacher & Vettel they have produced many recent champions.
2) With DTM etc they have a huge motorsport culture.
3) With a German badged car dominating the last F1 season and up there in this.
4) With Rosberg in with a fight for the championship.
5) Two tracks competing for the privelidge of runing the GP.

.. still no German GP.

In plan, was a "Grand Tour" road trip in my car - a couple of weeks doing the lot, but there is no will to do this in our house (yet) Included in that plan was Monza. These rumours above have just brought this forward, but in the form of a quick dash to catch some, if not all, of the GP weekend.
I toyed with the idea last year, but having done one Monza GP (on a Page & Moy Coach trip) years ago and seeing the crowd go home when the Ferrari's broke down I didnt bother planning going this year at the time, but as the RedCars are now doing better I reckon its worth a shot even if the rumours go away.

Post on Joe Sawards blog this week suggesting Monza appears on a draft 2016 calendar.
Am standing down my search because if that's right (and I hope it is) 2016 would be better...

I've always had the view that Bernie pulled Germany out of spite after the court case he had there.

I haven't a budget to present to the powers that be, therefore am fishing for tips to rough it on the cheap?
General admission ticket, book flights early, budget hotel in Milan (or private room in a hostel in Milan), train to circuit and back each day. Take a picnic for lunch and eat dinner in a decent pizzeria.

With a couple of laps to go, make sure you're somewhere near a gate to get on the track at the end of the race and get your running shoes on if you want to be under the podium.