What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

Vettel title challenge?

cgt

Vettel is 21 points behind Rosberg, who is 21 points behind Hamilton. Rosberg seems to be only focused on Hamilton which to some extent has allowed SV to sneak up. James Allen suggests that Rosberg chose to take hard tyres in Hungary purely to cover Hamilton's strategy and paid no attention to the Ferraris in front.

With Ferrari bringing a more powerful engine to Spa, I think SV is one to watch. He has vast experience of winning championships and is very much a thinking driver.

Reminds me of 2007 in some ways when Hamilton and Alonso were so focused on their internal battle, Kimi crept up quietly and took the big prize at the end.

It did seem that for the first time this season, the Ferraris were actually pulling away from the Mercs. Before SC, VET had about a 20 second lead over ROS and was still pulling away. I had no commentary when I watched the race, did they even comment on this change ?

Heading to SPA this year, a little bit more excited now :)

Ferrari sandbagged all through the practices and it was quite a surprise in qualifying although some teams knew.
I think that Spa will be a different sort of race but if Ferrari have a improved engine who knows.
The change in starts which will commence in Spa might have an effect as well.
SV will always have a chance whilst it is so close at the top and the pressure becomes more intense between Nico and Lewis.

I still think Vettel isn't good enough when not leading from the front......
The Merc doesn't appear to be as good in dirty air but I don't believe Hamilton would have let him romp off.
Bodes well for the remainder of the season though.....it was all getting very dull.

I still think Vettel isn't good enough when not leading from the front......
The Merc doesn't appear to be as good in dirty air but I don't believe Hamilton would have let him romp off.
Bodes well for the remainder of the season though.....it was all getting very dull.

I do suspect Hamilton will take this one as his dominance is pretty strong. But I think Vettel has a strong chance of coming 2nd and as we saw again Rosberg is hopeless in wheel to wheel racing. Vettel is certainly better than him when coming from behind.

I do suspect Hamilton will take this one as his dominance is pretty strong. But I think Vettel has a strong chance of coming 2nd and as we saw again Rosberg is hopeless in wheel to wheel racing. Vettel is certainly better than him when coming from behind.

Totally agree.......

How about a new points system.

10 points for pole and then 10 points for the race with the grid reversed.

How good would that be [emoji106]

Totally agree.......

How about a new points system.

10 points for pole and then 10 points for the race with the grid reversed.

How good would that be [emoji106]

Reverse the start line with Hamilton at the back - good idea:thumbsup: can't wait see half the field eliminated at the first corner :laugh: - oh I do love a tasty crash :shocked:

Hungary was the circuit that is least reliant on engine power. I would be surprised to see the Ferrari as competitive again unless the engine upgrades are pretty spectacular.

Mercs have plenty in hand I think. And Bernie told them to let someone else win to stop all the whinging.

Vettel is very unlikely to win the title IMO.

Rosberg is broken and was never really good enough IMO. Like Massa was in 2008.

Mercs have plenty in hand I think. And Bernie told them to let someone else win to stop all the whinging.

One Merc has plenty in hand, the other is struggling. I think there's a fair chance Rosberg will come third in the championship.

Agreed Vettel is unlikely to but we thought the same with Kimi in 2007, and a lot will depend on how good Ferrari's new engine to be introduced in Spa is. It could of course be a total flop in time honoured Ferrari fashion!

But SV has vast experience of how to win championships, in fact as a driver I would compare him very much to Prost. Very clever guy who has a decent lick of speed too and he clearly already at this early stage has the entire team built around him.

I'm clutching at straws in the hope of an exciting end to the championship when I think it's an inevitable conclusion that Hamilton will walk it :laugh:

One Merc has plenty in hand, the other is struggling. I think there's a fair chance Rosberg will come third in the championship.

Agreed Vettel is unlikely to but we thought the same with Kimi in 2007, and a lot will depend on how good Ferrari's new engine to be introduced in Spa is. It could of course be a total flop in time honoured Ferrari fashion!

But SV has vast experience of how to win championships, in fact as a driver I would compare him very much to Prost. Very clever guy who has a decent lick of speed too and he clearly already at this early stage has the entire team built around him.

A bit harsh about the engine,thier v12 was the best and the FIA changed engine regs to v10,which in turn turned out to be one of the best and just as that happens the FIA change regs to v8's.
With in 12 months they have made big big gains with the engine more so than mercedes so only a matter of months if not weeks before it comes good.Does also help with development when you have 3 other front running teams running the same unit.

I've not bothered watching the last four races. Granted I missed the last one (was it Hungary) as we were on holiday. Caught five minutes of it in a Cafe/Bar. It was a surprise to see two different leading drivers (at the time).

I'm not convinced. Barring a car failure, 21pts is still a pretty big gap, and I think both Mercs had a bit of an aberration in Hungary. Let's see what happens in the next two races. And I would wager if Hamilton can get a bigger lead we'll see some team supporting tactics played out.

I agree with most of that but Massa would've been a worthy champion in that year - the most wins in spite of some reliability issues. I think both drivers deserved it but was gutted to watch that last minute or so in Brazil!

Oh, and Hamilton for 2015. I can't see anyone beating him this year but it'd be nice if Vettel could sneak second place :)

Last edited:
If Ferrari had not left the fuel hose attached in Singapore leading to Crashgate it is very likely Massa would have been a worthy champion in 2008, he certainly drove to a very high standard that year.

I don't think I've ever seen Rosberg drive to that level, for one thing he still can't race wheel to wheel despite his car advantage.

Can't see it but he is creeping up like Raikonnen did in 2007. I think 2nd is definitely on the cards as Rosberg already appears to have given up. Suzuka will be fascinating if Ferrari is still on the pace.

Can't see it but he is creeping up like Raikonnen did in 2007. I think 2nd is definitely on the cards as Rosberg already appears to have given up. Suzuka will be fascinating if Ferrari is still on the pace.
You might well be right.

Seems odd when Mercedes have such a car advantage. Doesn't really shine a good light on Rosberg.