What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

Please read if you have a TrakBack

WalkerSport

Two of our new customers (car purchases) have tried to re register their cars with TrakBack, Melanie is excellent but there would seem to be a problem.....the whole system is changing in December. If you have an older TrakBack say around 10 years old (550, 355, 360 model Ferrari) you may have a replacement unit cost comming your way.

If I get chance tomorrow I will call Melanie at Siemens and try to get a clear picture of whats happening.:hmmm:

T.

Trakback will be releasing a letter in about a week - I will scan it and post up for you here.

The units that are being fazed out are the Ferrari factory fit UHF units fitted between 2000 and 2003.

All GPRS - GSM units are continuing fine, and a 'deal' to upgrade will be offerred.

Any subscriptions which run past the end of the year will be refunded.

Please note that if you are insured with Locktons or another insurance provide that specify a Tracker unit - your cover will be void for theft at the end of the year when the system gets switched off - if you do not have a new system fitted (time to shop around).

All subscribed members will be contacted directly next week by letter.

Sorry for the bad news!

T.

Trakback will be releasing a letter in about a week - I will scan it and post up for you here.

The units that are being fazed out are the Ferrari factory fit UHF units fitted between 2000 and 2003.

All GPRS - GSM units are continuing fine, and a 'deal' to upgrade will be offerred.

Any subscriptions which run past the end of the year will be refunded.

Please note that if you are insured with Locktons or another insurance provide that specify a Tracker unit - your cover will be void for theft at the end of the year when the system gets switched off - if you do not have a new system fitted (time to shop around).

All subscribed members will be contacted directly next week by letter.

Sorry for the bad news!

T.

Tim - just a slight correction to your note. Locktons don't necessarily require tracker to be fitted. I'm insured through them and was told that Tracker wasn't a requirement when I took out my policy.

Tim - just a slight correction to your note. Locktons don't necessarily require tracker to be fitted. I'm insured through them and was told that Tracker wasn't a requirement when I took out my policy.

+1 they were one of the only companies that didnt want a tracker:thumbsup:

Yeah Tim - I came across that problem a few weeks ago too... tried to wake up the tracker on the 360 and it wasn't responding. They told me about the change over and that it wasn't worth paying to fix the Trakbak I had.

The new system they fit is the Sentinel and it comes with a years subscription so they added on the 9 months I'd inherited when I got the car and i've got nothing to pay for nearly 2 years in terms of keeping the subscription current.

.....wasn't cheap though! :thumbsdow

As I understand it they do if your car is under 10 years old. I'm just in the process of renewing with Locktons :thumbsup: but the car is late 2002 and will not be 10 years old and therefore will not qualify for a classic policy, where a tracker is not required. So having to bite the bullet and get a new tracker fitted.:thumbsdow

Ive got this systems and paid for subscription last november, ive not heard anything from them yet, i wonder how we know the tracker has ceased working?

Ive got this systems and paid for subscription last november, ive not heard anything from them yet, i wonder how we know the tracker has ceased working?

you can call them and they'll send out a test/wake up signal - if they pick up you car they'll call you and tell you ...and if not they'll advise a health check... which is what happened to me.

Press release issued today;

MIX TELEMATICS PRESS RELEASE

11-15
24 June 2011

MiX Telematics focuses on GSM service for TrakBak users

MiX Telematics will be closing its TrakBak UHF network later this year and focusing on its GSM service. This will mean that older units will cease to function from the end of October.

"This development will affect a number of our existing TrakBak users," explains Steve Coffin, Marketing & Operations Director for MiX Telematics. "We are currently contacting all our customers, confirming whether or not their vehicles are affected and, for those which are, outlining the options available to them going forward.

"In focusing on our GSM service, our aim is to ensure we deliver a service which continues to meet the needs of our customers in the most effective manner at the best possible price."

MiX Telematics
Founded in 1996, MiX Telematics is a global provider of vehicle tracking and fleet management products and services to consumers and companies of all sizes in over 75 countries on six continents. The company’s commercial product range – formerly marketed under the VDO brand and sold by Siemens VDO for 10 years – helps fleet owners ensure driver and passenger safety, reduce fleet running and fuel costs, comply with selected industry regulations, and track and protect vehicles and drivers. Commercial customers include Parmalat, Schlumberger, Chevron, Greyhound, Spar, and Scania. MiX Telematics has offices in South Africa, Germany and the United Kingdom and an extensive global distribution network.

Further information:

Steve Coffin
Marketing & Operations Director
MiX Telematics (UK), 6180 Knights Court,
Solihull Parkway,
Birmingham Business Park,
Birmingham, B37 7YB
Tel: 0121 717 5385
Mob: 07787 103267
E-mail: steve.coffin@mixtelematics.com

So, what are our options, I have an older Trakbak that is activated at the moment.

I assume we can have the old unit removed and a newer Trakbak unit fitted? At a cost of course, or go with another tracker provider.

Has a price been given for the upgrade yet?

Thanks

Neil

No, this isn't true based on my experience. My car is insured for more than £40K through Locktons and didn't require Tracker.

Likewise. When I bought my 550 I didn't realise it had a tracker fitted. When contacting Locktons after I'd insured it and told them it had a tracker, there was no reduction in the premium.

I wonder how useful a trracker really is as there are jammers available which make a tracker useless.

Cost of replacement

I got my letter from mix telematics today informing me that the network will cease to be active at midnight on the last day of October and at that point they will be no longer be able to track my vehicle. That's a bit sooner than the earlier posts on this thread indicated.

They have offered me a TrakBak Sentinel installed at a 'special promotional price' of £325 + VAT with an annual subscription of £150 + VAT. Is this a good deal, that's the question?

I'm going to check my insurance to see if I even need one....

Dave the Manager

The simple answer is no, the deal MX telematics are offering is not great. Trackers normally cost 300 to 400 to fit most models anyway.

If you need a tracker because your insurance requires it then it is a good a unit as most.

If you want a tracker because you are worried about the theft of your car then it is not a good unit. Trackers are easily jammed and blocked. Any thief looking to steal this type of car will have a jammer. The only tracker left on the market that is harder to jam is now the tracker range, these include VHF tracking as well as GPS and GPRS, I think you need to buy the tracker horizon or monitor for this level.

Neil