What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

250SWB

Kyodo

Yesterday, a car resembling a very beautiful 250 SWB drove past our house. Silver/grey BUT a soft-top. I've only seen these with a tin roof so I wonder if it was a replica, or perhaps a reproduction? (I know GTO Engineering builds them). It really looked and sounded the part and was definitely this model, not the California. Small round rear lights, vertical vent behind the rear wheels.

Any thoughts? It's not uncommon to see very expensive cars around here so a 250/275 spot, although very rare, isn't out of the question.

It's possible I guess. I only saw it as it drove past so couldn't really get a proper look. If someone can tell us that they didn't make any sans-roof, then I know it'll be a reproduction of some kind. Where's Francis when you need him…

Normally I hear interesting stuff coming whilst I'm at my desk and I have time to stick my big zoom camera out of the window as they stop a little further down the road. The chap with a Diablo around the corner holds the prize for the best noise so far :)

Last edited:
I'm 99% sure there were no convertible versions of the standard SWB. Certainly never read about one in the many books I've read

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

It's possible I guess. I only saw it as it drove past so couldn't really get a proper look. If someone can tell us that they didn't make any sans-roof, then I know it'll be a reproduction of some kind. Where's Francis when you need him…

Normally I hear interesting stuff coming whilst I'm at my desk and I have time to stick my big zoom camera out of the window as they stop a little further down the road. The chap with a Diablo around the corner holds the prize for the best noise so far :)

You are correct. Ferrari didn't make any roofless SWBs. It will be one of the Nubodi ones.

Saw this a couple of weeks ago at a local show at the carding Shed, oil can cafe, Hepworth, near Holmfirth.
It appears to be of a very high quality

Attachments

• IMG_0038.jpg
    IMG_0038.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_0039.JPG
    IMG_0039.JPG
    181.1 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_0041.JPG
    IMG_0041.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_0040.jpg
    IMG_0040.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 310
I'm not keen - the design loses something with the roof gone, makes the car look heavy or fat IMO.

The standard SWB is one of the most beautiful cars ever, that and the Lusso.

I would do a lot of bad things to own 2119GT

Although the hard top is a pretty good imitation it just doesn't look quite right, particularly at the rear.

This can immediately be explained by the underlying chassis dimensions.

SWB wheelbase 2400, front track 1354, rear track 1349
Z3 wheelbase 2459, front track1413, rear track 1494

So there is no way the dimensions are ever going to look right.

I agree with Mon that the SWB without the roof just doesn't look right. That is why Ferrari built the SWB California. They knew best.

Saw this a couple of weeks ago at a local show at the carding Shed, oil can cafe, Hepworth, near Holmfirth.
It appears to be of a very high quality

Although it looks nice it is not even a good ferrari replica and I see they have the good grace to stick a Bandini badge on it rather that Nubodi who use Ferrari badges which I think is totally wrong as it fools the general public who don't know.

Cant disagree Francis, never was into repro cars, and as for doing a drop top SWB......
(When referring to the quality by the way I meant in build not design or looks.)

........and I see they have the good grace to stick a Bandini badge on it rather that Nubodi who use Ferrari badges which I think is totally wrong as it fools the general public who don't know.

+lots.

This is my only 'problem' with some replicas. It also happens to be illegal as I'm sure using the Ferrari emblems on a non-Ferrari to try to make it look like one is a serious breach of copyright. If it is with a watch or hat it must be with a car. Few warnings followed by fines if the owners fail to remove them would stop it happening pretty quickly. Mercedes take it seriously - crushed a replica Gullwing not long ago for breach of copyright - no one else does. No idea why.

+lots.

This is my only 'problem' with some replicas. It also happens to be illegal as I'm sure using the Ferrari emblems on a non-Ferrari to try to make it look like one is a serious breach of copyright. If it is with a watch or hat it must be with a car. Few warnings followed by fines if the owners fail to remove them would stop it happening pretty quickly. Mercedes take it seriously - crushed a replica Gullwing not long ago for breach of copyright - no one else does. No idea why.

A lot of "old foggies" on this forum:hide: every man and his dog are building replicas, GTO Engineering amongst them and Renaissance have a replica Maserati for sale, it's a bit like knock-off handbags found in Lady Street Hong Kong (yeah I did get my man bag there:laugh:), when prices of the originals reach stupid levels then copies will arise and sometimes better than the original - just imagine a Ferrari with German engineering and a BMW with Ferrari styling:thumbsup:

A lot of "old foggies" on this forum:hide: every man and his dog are building replicas, GTO Engineering amongst them and Renaissance have a replica Maserati for sale, it's a bit like knock-off handbags found in Lady Street Hong Kong (yeah I did get my man bag there:laugh:), when prices of the originals reach stupid levels then copies will arise and sometimes better than the original - just imagine a Ferrari with German engineering and a BMW with Ferrari styling:thumbsup:

:shakeass2:shakeass2

There are good copies and bad copies Geoff. GTO's are indistinguishable from the originals. As an old fogey I query them being built but at least they are accurate copies unlike the Nubodi ones which are just a pastiche.

No probs with the replicas Geoff, good, bad or mediocre just not really my thing but each to their own. But they should have the good grace to stand up and say 'I'm a replica'....... well their owners should. Anyone badging a replica as the original is either trying to fool others that they have an original, in which case they are a bit sad, or trying to fool themselves they have, in which case they are mistaken and more than a bit sad. If I really wanted a Ferrari and had perhaps slightly less disposable income I'd get a LHD Mondial 8 coupe if that was what I could afford. I would not get an MR2, put a plastic body kit on it and try to fool everyone into thinking I have a Ferrari.

I have a fair amount of respect for the really good replicas. Badge one as an original and I have zero respect. Look at it this way, if you had one of the actual Robins used in Only Fools that would be pretty cool. Have a copy that you say is a copy and it's fine, just a bit of fun. Have a copy but go round telling everyone it's the original and you're just a bit of a pratt in my mind.

Reminds me of buying a Rolex from Thailand. Bottom line it's not a Rolex and you've wasted your money

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

just imagine a Ferrari with German engineering and a BMW with Ferrari styling:thumbsup:
I thought about this but then I got stuck on a French car with Italian styling…

This is still the best replica ever though.

Attachments

• Testarossa-1_2732859b.jpg
    Testarossa-1_2732859b.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 96
No probs with the replicas Geoff, good, bad or mediocre just not really my thing but each to their own. But they should have the good grace to stand up and say 'I'm a replica'....... well their owners should. Anyone badging a replica as the original is either trying to fool others that they have an original, in which case they are a bit sad, or trying to fool themselves they have, in which case they are mistaken and more than a bit sad. If I really wanted a Ferrari and had perhaps slightly less disposable income I'd get a LHD Mondial 8 coupe if that was what I could afford. I would not get an MR2, put a plastic body kit on it and try to fool everyone into thinking I have a Ferrari.

I have a fair amount of respect for the really good replicas. Badge one as an original and I have zero respect. Look at it this way, if you had one of the actual Robins used in Only Fools that would be pretty cool. Have a copy that you say is a copy and it's fine, just a bit of fun. Have a copy but go round telling everyone it's the original and you're just a bit of a pratt in my mind.

Agreed on the badging issue and I have raised this point in the past, but there are some people on this forum who have heavily modified their car (and made a fantastic job of it:thumbsup:) who have suggested that they want to badge it as a special model.

As I have a genuine Ferrari:hmmm: I'm quite happy to combine German engineering with Italian style:thumbsup: I'll do what the Japanese and Chinese do and just modify the spelling :laugh:

Reliant Robins are cool - really:shocked: