What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

308 vs 348 comparison by Number 27

It was nice to see someone with an enthusiasm for the 348 but found some of it a bit frustrating....

Didn't understand the point of comparing a 308 to 348 as they are different generations so didn't make sense to me. You could of got away with comparing a 328 to 348 as one car replaced the other so unless he was thinking of selling a 308 to buy a 348 it just didn't make sense to me...????

Drives me nuts when "journalists" keep repeating this "wasn't well received/handling issues/improved build quality on later models". Complete tosh which is now self perpetuating...

The gear shift change...that's a problem with that particular car not ALL of them!!! GRRR!!! Get your car fixed!!! Lube the cables, and change the gearbox oil.

It was nice to see someone with an enthusiasm for the 348 but found some of it a bit frustrating....

Didn't understand the point of comparing a 308 to 348 as they are different generations so didn't make sense to me. You could of got away with comparing a 328 to 348 as one car replaced the other so unless he was thinking of selling a 308 to buy a 348 it just didn't make sense to me...????

Drives me nuts when "journalists" keep repeating this "wasn't well received/handling issues/improved build quality on later models". Complete tosh which is now self perpetuating...

The gear shift change...that's a problem with that particular car not ALL of them!!! GRRR!!! Get your car fixed!!! Lube the cables, and change the gearbox oil.

Yep, pretty much agree with all of the above. To be fair it's tough to find a recent test where the driver doesn't like the 348. I think they work pretty well as a classic where fun trumps overall performance.

Re the gearbox, mine snicks easily through the gears from cool (never drive it cold as such) including 1st to 2nd so that issue is definitely car specific and not tipo specific.

My comparison a few months ago, as I always fancied a 308 and thought about changing to one was...I don't physically fit in a 308...end of story!

My comparison a few months ago, as I always fancied a 308 and thought about changing to one was...I don't physically fit in a 308...end of story!

Much the same. In the vid where Jack drives away in his with his head poking out the top - that's pretty much me. Roof on driving wasn't an option.

I'm 6'4 and did plenty of time in 308's, 328's and 348's.

Early 308's had a lower seat squab that made it fine to drive with a steering wheel spacer.

328's had a higher seat position and less of a shelf in the GTS so with Targa behind you it limited how far back the seat could go.

Same in a 348. Early 308's didn't have this problem as the targa shelf was set further back so I could move the seat all the way back.

Of the three the 328 was the most uncomfortable for me. I actually had a 308 and 328 at the same time so the comparison was very clear.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

I'm 6'4 and did plenty of time in 308's, 328's and 348's.

Early 308's had a lower seat squab that made it fine to drive with a steering wheel spacer.

328's had a higher seat position and less of a shelf in the GTS so with Targa behind you it limited how far back the seat could go.

Same in a 348. Early 308's didn't have this problem as the targa shelf was set further back so I could move the seat all the way back.

Of the three the 328 was the most uncomfortable for me. I actually had a 308 and 328 at the same time so the comparison was very clear.

Foldable targa for the 348 negates this as it fits on the parcel shelf allowing the seat to go all the way back. Anyone over about 6 foot I'd highly recommend one.

Tom Selleck was 6'4'' and they had to modify the cars in Magnum (a carb car, a GTSi and a QV) for him to fit in them:

"The Ferraris used in the show had to be specially modified to accommodate Tom Selleck, who stands 6'4" tall. The padding was removed from the seats so he would sit lower in the car, and the seats were bolted as far away from the steering wheel as possible to maximize the leg room. Even with these modifications you can still see that Selleck's head is higher than the top of the front windshield frame! You very rarely saw Magnum drive with the top up."

I guess you're a different shape but even at 6'1'' I found the same as Tom and Jack in the video posted above - my head stuck out the top :laugh:

Foldable targa for the 348 negates this as it fits on the parcel shelf allowing the seat to go all the way back. Anyone over about 6 foot I'd highly recommend one.

Tom Selleck was 6'4'' and they had to modify the cars in Magnum (a carb car, a GTSi and a QV) for him to fit in them:

"The Ferraris used in the show had to be specially modified to accommodate Tom Selleck, who stands 6'4" tall. The padding was removed from the seats so he would sit lower in the car, and the seats were bolted as far away from the steering wheel as possible to maximize the leg room. Even with these modifications you can still see that Selleck's head is higher than the top of the front windshield frame! You very rarely saw Magnum drive with the top up."

I guess you're a different shape but even at 6'1'' I found the same as Tom and Jack in the video posted above - my head stuck out the top [emoji23]
My head was touching the roof but 90% of the time I drove it with the roof off. Couldn't do this in the 328 or 348 as much because of the targa stowage issue pushing the seat forward. I also think some of the padding in the 308 seat had worn away as I definitely sat lower than the 328.

Two modifications were a steering wheel spacer and a smaller diameter Momo both of which freed up a lot of knee room.

My head was touching the roof but 90% of the time I drove it with the roof off. Couldn't do this in the 328 or 348 as much because of the targa stowage issue pushing the seat forward.

As I say, no issue in a 348 with a foldable targa as the seat can be all the way back so I can drive with the roof on or off. With a 308 it was roof off only - clearly impractical in the UK.

As I say, no issue in a 348 with a foldable targa as the seat can be all the way back so I can drive with the roof on or off. With a 308 it was roof off only - clearly impractical in the UK.

Yup; foldable soft targa is brilliant. Hardly ever have the hard targa panel on and generally never take it with me. Soft targa doesn’t fit particularly well around the windows with some big gaps; but oddly enough it keeps the rain out!

Yup; foldable soft targa is brilliant. Hardly ever have the hard targa panel on and generally never take it with me. Soft targa doesn’t fit particularly well around the windows with some big gaps; but oddly enough it keeps the rain out!

I think they shrink a bit over time. The first one I had was the same but I bought one still boxed and as new (long story) and it fits pretty much perfectly.

Quite right but decades ago foldable targas were impossible to get hold of, I gave up after looking. I'm sure I posted a wanted ad here in 2006!

Quite right but decades ago foldable targas were impossible to get hold of, I gave up after looking. I'm sure I posted a wanted ad here in 2006!

Yep, the legit speed tested ones are not easy to come by, think I just got lucky.

I could very easily be tempted to change my 360 F1 for a 348.

Backward step? Perhaps… but I love the old skool looks of the 348 and the relative ‘simplicity’ of the tech.

The main thing that put me off the 348 when choosing which car I was going to buy, was the steel construction. I drive my car all year round and hate chasing rust! Mind you, AFTER I’d bought the 360 I read that the 348’s shell was galvanised. Had I realised that earlier, then my choice may have been different.

Still plenty of time though to make the change if I still find the itch needs scratched (especially given that 348 prices still haven’t gone through the stratosphere… but are definitely creeping up!).

I could very easily be tempted to change my 360 F1 for a 348.

Backward step? Perhaps… but I love the old skool looks of the 348 and the relative ‘simplicity’ of the tech.

The main thing that put me off the 348 when choosing which car I was going to buy, was the steel construction. I drive my car all year round and hate chasing rust! Mind you, AFTER I’d bought the 360 I read that the 348’s shell was galvanised. Had I realised that earlier, then my choice may have been different.

Still plenty of time though to make the change if I still find the itch needs scratched (especially given that 348 prices still haven’t gone through the stratosphere… but are definitely creeping up!).

I’m not sure if it’s a backwards step as such, just maybe a bit of a different driving and ownership experience. I’ve looked at going the other way for a couple of years but haven’t quite been able to do it, just think I’d miss my 348 if/when I do.

I see the 360 as essentially a modern car. They are capable, refined, comfortable and have enough ‘mod cons’ to allow you to access their considerable performance. A 348 is a bit of a different beast and is very much a mechanical and raw experience.

I think the 348 seems to have passed some invisible point where it’s being seen more as a classic and you can forgive a classic all sorts of things and pass them off as adding character or being endearing quirks. I can’t see the 360 passing that point to be seen as classic any time soon - in a way they are simply too good.