What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

348 make it the best

Something is on the way.IMG_2734.jpeg

The calipers are in really good shape, but... Car is not driving yet, winter is long, so that is a good oportunity do do a detail cleanning, new pads, new houses and fluid.

Last edited:
yes the seals are available, its just paying 160 for what would cost no more that 10 - 20 on the brembos!

(if you need any seals I think I still have some left; from memory I only used a couple dust seals but would have to check)

The situation is not always going into good direction... One bolt from the caliper broke during untigntenning. It looks those are not standard bolts. CMC machinninf is not a problem, but... To produce the bolt need to have dimensions. Till now, everything is waiting with penetrating oil for about a week, but not sure if we will manage to have at least one bolt not broken.
Do you have some bolts to take dimmensions, or maybe the dimmensions of the bolt? ATE caliper.

The last step of "lights" refresh done. One of the numberplate lights does not work. I thought it will be just cleanning and bulb replacement, but... Everything was a bot coroded.
IMG_2656.JPG
There was 2 options. Buy new, plastic plate likghts or take the effort to restore the original metal ones.
Rivets drilled
IMG_2657.JPG IMG_2658.JPG

Zinc plated
IMG_2871.JPG

and fully assembled with new bulb
IMG_3006.JPGIMG_3007.JPG
Works and looks like new. The refurbish cost was lower than purchising the new, plastic ones :)

The situation is not always going into good direction... One bolt from the caliper broke during untigntenning. It looks those are not standard bolts. CMC machinninf is not a problem, but... To produce the bolt need to have dimensions. Till now, everything is waiting with penetrating oil for about a week, but not sure if we will manage to have at least one bolt not broken.
Do you have some bolts to take dimmensions, or maybe the dimmensions of the bolt? ATE caliper.
Those bolts are a pain to get out. Easy to say in retrospect but they are best left alone . I managed to get mine out but it took a little while moving back and forth. No heat used as not to damage the finish of the caliper... I think they had been removed previously at some point in the distant past. Just a feeling I had. The local caliper refurb people are not interested to renovate this part. They mentioned the bolts breaking and unavailable seals but this was a good few years ago. The seals may be available now but those bolts will always be an issue. I also think the calipers are possibly anodized not painted. I dont have the bolt sizes.

Those bolts are a pain to get out. Easy to say in retrospect but they are best left alone . I managed to get mine out but it took a little while moving back and forth. No heat used as not to damage the finish of the caliper... I think they had been removed previously at some point in the distant past. Just a feeling I had. The local caliper refurb people are not interested to renovate this part. They mentioned the bolts breaking and unavailable seals but this was a good few years ago. The seals may be available now but those bolts will always be an issue. I also think the calipers are possibly anodized not painted. I dont have the bolt sizes.
Correct, the ATE calipers are not painted, looks rather like anode, Brembo are painted.
Still waiting for my caliper, will keep you informed.

Fianlly, the calipers are done. Everything was disassembly with ferw broken bolts. That was the last time, because the corossion starts to play on the main bolts. Everything was cleaned with ultrasonic, sandblasted and zinc coated to be shiny and secured. All bolts of course were replaced. Pistons, and rubber seals were fine, so no need to replace. I decided to leave the factory look (black anode), only the Ferrari logo was polished to look fresh. Now need to put on the car with new pads, sensors and "refresh" rotors, flush the sustem with new brake fluid and finlly call workshop to agree the date of main service.

Attachments

• IMG_2734.jpg
    IMG_2734.jpg
    936.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3165.jpg
    IMG_3165.jpg
    405.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3164.jpg
    IMG_3164.jpg
    383.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3163.jpg
    IMG_3163.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3162.jpg
    IMG_3162.jpg
    348.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3161.jpg
    IMG_3161.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
Any idea how to suck all the fluid from reservoir?
There are some kind of labirynth so it is not possible to suck from the cap, and I don't want toix old and new fluid.image.jpg

Fianlly, the calipers are done. Everything was disassembly with ferw broken bolts. That was the last time, because the corossion starts to play on the main bolts. Everything was cleaned with ultrasonic, sandblasted and zinc coated to be shiny and secured. All bolts of course were replaced. Pistons, and rubber seals were fine, so no need to replace. I decided to leave the factory look (black anode), only the Ferrari logo was polished to look fresh. Now need to put on the car with new pads, sensors and "refresh" rotors, flush the sustem with new brake fluid and finlly call workshop to agree the date of main service.
Looking good...

Any idea how to suck all the fluid from reservoir?
There are some kind of labirynth so it is not possible to suck from the cap, and I don't want toix old and new fluid.
There may be a way but I'm not sure how to do it without taking the reservoir out so you can put it on its end and upside down etc. Only other option might be to thoroughly flush everything through with new fluid and accept you're going to need to do it twice - once to flush out old fluid and once to fill up the system once it's been flushed through. Would have thought once you've done that the amount of old fluid in the 'mix' would be negligible.

There may be a way but I'm not sure how to do it without taking the reservoir out so you can put it on its end and upside down etc. Only other option might be to thoroughly flush everything through with new fluid and accept you're going to need to do it twice - once to flush out old fluid and once to fill up the system once it's been flushed through. Would have thought once you've done that the amount of old fluid in the 'mix' would be negligible.
That is the way I did that, flush with the mix of new and old fluid. Flushed brakes and clutch. What i found is, that when add new fluid to reservoir, the old and new fluid did not mix untill I key the ignition and ABS pomp starts. Only then everything was mixed and the level was equal in both parts of the reservoir.