What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

348 rear window.

With it saying GTB I thought it was a late one but it’s a tb.

My money’s on it being a modification to fit a different glass due to cost of replacement. The ‘normal’ one looks loads better.

My money’s on it being a modification to fit a different glass due to cost of replacement. The ‘normal’ one looks loads better.

Yes, I agree with the standard looks better. He spent a lot of money on the car but in my opinion that window will devalue the car considerably unless factory. It just dosnt look right styling wise to me.

Think you’re spot on, Mike. Maybe didn’t want to wait for a back order or something. Not a good plan imo. Certainly isn’t original. To my eye it looks a bit like a 308 rear window upside down...... or did a 308 have curved glass as well? Can’t quite remember. Either way, it looks out of place imo.

Post from the owner over on Fchat. Sort of clears it up.

Today at 10:56 AM NEW
Well... interesting thread... here's what has happened since 2008...

For years I tried to get the closest Ferrari dealers (Ferrari of Ontario and Ferrari Quebec) to get me a build sheet or something that would show the history of this car... never got a response... eventually, I gave up

Then last summer, someone on this board posted that you could get all the build documentation on your car if you went through the Classiche program so I tried that approach... they responded to my email and told me: "go through your local dealer" to which I responded that since there was no money to be made, and since I don't go to them for service, they didn't respond to my requests...

Well the next day I received a phone call from the president of Ferrari Quebec, we discussed the original thread and sent him the information that I had and then started an email conversation which included the service manager as well... this was mid-July

In August I checked in looking for an update and was told the factory is closed in August (ok?), then I followed up in early October... On October 16th, this was the response I received:

------------------------------------------------------
I hope all is well.

We got the confirmation that this 1990 Ferrari 348 tb VIN #89761 was built as a Normal 348 TB. This car should have the curved window.

Thank you.

When I asked for the documentation...

We don’t have any further info on this car at our dealership level unless it passes through Classiche Certification.

Keep in mind that if you do go ahead with the process, your 348 will have to be in original condition as it left the plant.

That would mean a correct rear bonnet, catalytic converters, stock exhaust etc..

We are at you disposal if you wish to take the steps

Told them that I liked my aftermarket upgrades and wasn't going to pursue the Classiche Certification and that's where the conversation ended

Yep, my call is it's at some point needed the rear glass replacing and they couldn't / didn't want to pay for a replacement so effectively 'botched' this one in. Sure it could be returned to original but might cost a few quid to do now.

I'll post up a vid showing lots of early 348s on a separate thread so others who are generally interested see it and link to here. It even talks about the curved rear window. 2 ticks...….