What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

360 F1 stuck in neutral! HELP NEEDED :)

michaelS7

Hi!

I recently bought my new 360 Coupe with the F1 box, and i am new to this site, so appreciate your help in advance.

Today, i took it out for a spin, but what a disaster! I came to a roundabout, and put it into neutral. Tried to move up to 1st, but it would not go. Pressed the Auto button, and it jerked into 1st gear.

Travelled a bit further to the next round about (upto 4th gear), where i again put it intocycled down through the gears, and then into neutral at a standstill.

At this point the car, would not engage any upper gear or reverse.

Being stuck in the outer lane of the dual carriage way, i got a bit frenzied! Turned the car off several times and still the same issue. Eventually had to be recovered and transported back home. Not good to wait for Green Flag for 40 mins when you got a 100 people passing by and shouting "get a proper car" at you!

Anyway, got back to my home, and the recovery guy left. turned the car on again and the car would cycle up through the gears without a problem.

There are no warning lights on, and the car after being off for half hour or so, does make the pump noise when starting up as i open the door. This lasts for about 30 secs-1min as normal, and then is quiet.

I dont know when the clutch was done previously. The car is just coming upto 19k on the clock.

Any suggestions ???

Thanks once again
M

Perhaps obvious, but do you have your foot on the brake when engaging first gear (or reverse) when stationary ?? :)

Last edited:
Sounds like the F1 pump, does the pump charge when you open the drivers door ? check fluid level in the F1 system. I had similar problem with my 360, also had you been in heavy traffic as the clutch can overheat

Welcome

Try calling one of your local independents this morning (someone like JMH or R&D) for advice

Chris, if the cluth overheats is this not warned by a bleeping?

I think the alarm only sounds when the thing is about to give up. I was on track in my 360 when I lost gears and was advised to park in pit lane for a while with the hood open to allow it to cool down which I did and it worked fine after that

Option 1: Use the kill switch in the bonnet boot. Turn it off for about 20 seconds. Thats can reset the F1 gearbox.

Option 2: Get a mallet and wack it a few times on the F1 box to unjam it and get you home.

Option 3: Frantically engage 1st and neutral.

Option 4: Check the fluid level and see there is enough. If not top up with gearbox fluid ( any make ) to allow the F1 gearbox to get you home. The drain and find source of leak and replace fluid.

Option 5: Check the fuse behind the passenger seat. Its is a green 25amp fuse. Might of blown.

I have a brand new F1 gearbox PM me if your interested. If your nearby might be able to put it on for you.

hi Guys, thanks for the advice.

After playing around with the car and checking all the things, i realised that i did not put my foot on the brake to come out of neutral. Im such a dope...

Anyway, i have also noticed that the engine warning light is permenantly lit now, any ideas?

thanks
Michael

Option 2: Get a mallet and wack it a few times on the F1 box to unjam it and get you home.

Option 4: Check the fluid level and see there is enough. If not top up with gearbox fluid ( any make ) to allow the F1 gearbox to get you home.

I've worked on these for years, and personaly wouldn't condone nor have i heard of, anyone wacking any part of the F1 system with a mallet. Putting just "any" gearbox fluid could in fact destroy every seal in the system and leave you with a very hefty bill.....

Ah mate, you doghnut :grin:

Open the front bonnett.

Twist the black dial to off which is near passenger side for a minute.

Turn dial to on

switch car on.

Should be ok

After playing around with the car and checking all the things, i realised that i did not put my foot on the brake to come out of neutral. Im such a dope...

Anyway, i have also noticed that the engine warning light is permenantly lit now, any ideas?

thanks
Michael

thanks
Michael

I was on a tour in France and made a similar mistake. We had stopped for petrol and were very late as someone had run out earlier in the day. I filled up and then tried to start the car - nothing. Panic set in and we eventually rolled the car away from the pump so others could fuel up. After 15mins of epic fretting I figured out I had left it in gear.....

Can't help with your CEL though - sorry.

Perhaps obvious, but do you have your foot on the brake when engaging first gear (or reverse) when stationary ?? :)
Not such bad advice after all...... An old medical adage, common things happen commonly... I did love the whack it with a hammer advice though :laugh: I used to do that with an old Morris 1000. I thought F360's were more refined. :dude:

I've worked on these for years, and personaly wouldn't condone nor have i heard of, anyone wacking any part of the F1 system with a mallet. Putting just "any" gearbox fluid could in fact destroy every seal in the system and leave you with a very hefty bill.....

By hitting the F1 system with a mallet can sometimes unjam the mechanism. Its commonly done on 360 Challenge races and track days.

The seals in the system would not be damaged by the wrong gearbox fluid. If you put brake fluid in it then yes it will.

I was on a tour in France and made a similar mistake. We had stopped for petrol and were very late as someone had run out earlier in the day. I filled up and then tried to start the car - nothing. Panic set in and we eventually rolled the car away from the pump so others could fuel up. After 15mins of epic fretting I figured out I had left it in gear.....

Can't help with your CEL though - sorry.
How did you manage to roll it away if it was still in gear??

By hitting the F1 system with a mallet can sometimes unjam the mechanism. Its commonly done on 360 Challenge races and track days.

The seals in the system would not be damaged by the wrong gearbox fluid. If you put brake fluid in it then yes it will.

you are handing out bad advice. If the actuator gets stuck it does so for a reason. There are gear position and select position sensors that could easily be smashed by hitting the actuator. Those troublesome tripple bleed screws under the body become loose just by vibration let alone any violent impacts. Then you also have shock damage internaly. I have come across several instances where people putting gearbox oil in f1 systems has trashed them. The last one had 75/90 put in it and would no longer hold pressure. It also destroyed clutch release bearing seals.

This can't be serious......who would advocate topping up/filling the f1 system with anything other than the correct oil....unbelievable.As for hitting it with a mallet :shocked:.....

hi, thanks for all the advice...seems the CEL went out on its own, and the gears are working perfectly. Now for some worry free driving...these cars are awesome!

thanks again for everything!
Michael

This can't be serious......who would advocate topping up/filling the f1 system with anything other than the correct oil....unbelievable.As for hitting it with a mallet :shocked:.....

The advice was given to get you home only.

Unjamming an F1 gearbox as I have said is normal practice in Challenge Race cars. Again to get you home only.