What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

458 Spider - what are the must haves when buying one of these?

Wilpert

As per thread title, apart for the obvious things such as colour choice, what are the things that buyers would usually look for, when considering ownership and potential resale later on.
This is long term thinking from me, I am not going to rush out and buy one but if the right one came along at the right price and all the stars lined up as they sometimes do, i could be very tempted :)

From what I see, they are clearly mileage sensitive but again, I wouldn't be totally put off by one that happened to be a bit leggy, if it saved me a few £££'s that and the fact that i would likely be a higher than average mileage driver @ around 4 to 6K a year.
I notice there doesn't seem to be so many red ones for sale as there are in other F cars, is this my imagination or is this a thing with the 458s?
Interior options - what are the must haves or does even a base model tick enough boxes?

Be interested to get opinions, so thanks in advance.

When buying used I don't think losing money on a low/high spec car is a huge thing really - if you don't pay too much in the first place then you should be ok when it comes to selling it on. It's the original owner who will lose the most on options.

There's loads of options for these, but I'm not sure how many are essential; e.g. carbon trim seems to be desired by most buyers but I find it an unnecessary expense and I'm not keen on the look of it. Buy what you want and will value and don't spend too long worrying about resale - there will always be a buyer at the right price. But spend some time comparing examples so you can see the differences, things like gearchange lights on the steering wheel, nose lift etc.

I wouldn't be bothered by a 'base' spec model, it will still have more kit than my 550 and it doesn't exactly feel like a Trabant inside.

From approx the 458 on it appears red isn't as common as it once was, it's still the most popular colour but some others suit the 458 more IMO e.g grey on a couple, yellow on a spider etc.

yes agreed re the original buyer paying for the extras for you.
It's a nice touch to get the benefit of a bespoke colour at no extra cost, when some poor soul has paid around 10k extra for it.
I think the dark colours with lighter or Cuoio interiors look pretty good.
I just thought maybe it would suffer come resale time if it aint red but maybe not.

I'm not a big fan of carbon interiors either, they don't do it for me.
Same re the LED's but i know many feel they are a must have.

I think it would likely be worth less in say black instead of red, but you'd be paying less in the first place so I can't see you suffering greater depreciation because of the colour of the paint,

One thing I did forget to mention was the seats - there's a few options, I think the 'race' ones are the most sought after but check you find them comfy as they don't suit everyone.

I'm told early cars are less desirable and harder to move on - so again, you'd buy one for less and might find it sticks a bit come selling time - but more time is a 458...life could be worse...

I'm told early cars are less desirable and harder to move on - so again, you'd buy one for less and might find it sticks a bit come selling time - but more time is a 458...life could be worse...

Wish I didn’t start looking,

Don’t know if anybody knows this car but it’s very tempting even though it’s a Cat S.
damage was 5 years ago so it’s done 15 k since then and had 5 mots since and no problems.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202306268976451

personal choice; but if you have any possible plans to sell one day i wouldn’t!

colour is particular, no carbon, non race seats, and high mileage in the odd world of ferraris! but if a keeper could all work in your favour!

personal choice; but if you have any possible plans to sell one day i wouldn’t!

colour is particular, no carbon, non race seats, and high mileage in the odd world of ferraris! but if a keeper could all work in your favour!

Yup,
All good points there, I’m a serial looker and tbh I know it would be financial suicide, especially for me as I don’t keep a car nearly long enough.
As you said, if it was a keeper but I’d find that too hard to achieve.

Probably better to wait for the right one at the right price, which I’m sure will pop up one day.

My problem, I’m easily distracted 😂

Watch out for clocked cars / mileage blockers. I know of a mileage correct service that has been clocking a lot of these at the moment.

Pay attention to seat wear, stone chips on the windscreen, etc. Quite a number of these cars have done European trips and then get clocked back on their return, usually by unscrupulous owners that want to sell the cars for what they bought them for.

That's a good point re the mileage "adjustment" i thought this could be spotted by looking at the gearbox mileage record to ensure it corresponds with the odometer but I'm thinking somebody could get past this if it meant enough to them.

I'm starting to think that if and when the time comes, try to buy from a main dealers, I have looked at some online and the prices aren't really so much higher than indie dealerships and you get a warranty.

I wouldn't be 100% sure a main dealer car wasn't clocked either (not necessarily by them) - I remember seeing a 9k 575 a few years ago that had severe bolster wear, much more than my 57k example has

I wouldn't be 100% sure a main dealer car wasn't clocked either (not necessarily by them) - I remember seeing a 9k 575 a few years ago that had severe bolster wear, much more than my 57k example has

Now I’m getting paranoid - so what check/s could be carried out to be assured that the car hasn’t been clocked. I know that mot checks really help as they at least show some consistency.

Now I’m getting paranoid - so what check/s could be carried out to be assured that the car hasn’t been clocked. I know that mot checks really help as they at least show some consistency.

Just buy on condition. You will know if it doesn't feel right, and avoid paying a premium for low mileage. The cars are better when used, so aim for one with decent mileage on it IMO

Yes, agreed re the mileage, it would be money wasted for me to look for a low miles car, as I tend to do more than most even though its a 3rd car.
ATM I am doing around 150 miles per week in my cali, that is using it maybe one day a week for work (Friday is Cali day:) ) and then as often as possible at the weekend.
I have a friend who has an uber low mileage Cali Turbo and he worked it out that with servicing and insurance etc. it worked out to cost him 100 per mile last year, i said "more fool you then, drive the flipping thing", he arrived at my sons riding stables and told me the boot was stuck, anyways, long story short, i took the key from him and popped it open with the control on the key, he said how did you do that, he didnt know it had a control on the key, he has never lifted the bonnet in 7 years and wait for it, he has never closed the roof, he just parks in his garage with the roof down and NEVER drives in the rain :)

I know that mot checks really help as they at least show some consistency.

Mot's are no guarantee for mileage. Some people clock the cars back before the MOT and service are due. However, MOT's are useful, if the mileage is minimal between MOT's, and all of a sudden there are advisory's for worn tyres / brake discs / pads you know it's most likely been clocked.

Mot's are no guarantee for mileage. Some people clock the cars back before the MOT and service are due. However, MOT's are useful, if the mileage is minimal between MOT's, and all of a sudden there are advisory's for worn tyres / brake discs / pads you know it's most likely been clocked.

A car with a few extra miles doesn’t scare me at all. It just seems that Ferrari owners in general place a lot of emphasis on mileage and it does reflect heavily in the purchase price.

I notice a lot of portafinos and Cali ts seem to have slightly higher mileage on not so old cars but I’m wondering if that’s because people get them on contract/lease purchase and then use them more as daily drivers. Whereas the more “proper” Ferraris are weekend toys so mileage is lower.

Is there somewhere that I can look at to see what is considered average mileage for age for a particular model, I.e 458 spider circa 2k per year, Cali t 3k per year?

I’m thinking a 458 spider with a few extra miles might be a better weekend car and retain value better than an average mileage Porto or Cali t.

I’m still tempted to move across to a Cali t from my NA Cali but I’m struggling to justify the extra money and that’s what has led me to looking at 458s or portofinos.

2-3k would seem a reasonable average for a mid-engined V8; and whilst I don't have a crystal ball, I would think a 458 would hold its value better than a Cali - but ignore that, buy what you will use and enjoy more.

e.g. if the Mrs/children/mates won't be seen dead in a mid-engined V8, then there's no point getting one as you won't end up using it as much as you should. Buy what you'll drive more, as that's where the memories and joy are. We may not have that much time left to enjoy these cars between legislation or availability of reasonably-priced fuel, so make sure you use them now

I’m still tempted to move across to a Cali t from my NA Cali but I’m struggling to justify the extra money and that’s what has led me to looking at 458s or portofinos.
Personally I think you're tearing yourself apart over this. You're talking about residuals and making a sound investment whilst considering spending a large amount of money on an unnecessary purchase with exposure to all of the same risks. I'm not sure what you're really searching for!

I would think a 458 would hold its value better than a Cali
I don't agree, I think they'll both hold their values similarly, albeit with the 458 holding a higher value. We have to consider that they were around £40k apart when new but the Cali has lost more in percentage terms of its value to this point. If the Cali drops 20% from here and the 458 drops 10%, you'd still lose the same amount.

I'm talking about the cash invested of course rather than simply holding a percentage of value but you get my point. Fwiw, I love the 458 :grin:

if the Mrs/children/mates won't be seen dead in a mid-engined V8, then there's no point getting one as you won't end up using it as much as you should. Buy what you'll drive more, as that's where the memories and joy are. We may not have that much time left to enjoy these cars between legislation or availability of reasonably-priced fuel, so make sure you use them now
This, 100%.

Last edited:
Personally I think you're tearing yourself apart over this. You're talking about residuals and making a sound investment whilst considering spending a large amount of money on an unnecessary purchase with exposure to all of the same risks. I'm not sure what you're really searching for!.

Good question :) what i think I am looking for, is upgrading form the Cali, to something that i will not regret buying as i will expect to keep this for say 2 - 3 years, as I have done this with previous car ownership, i.e. I went through several Porsche cars, ending up with a 911 Turbo S and not really liking it too much, then selling at a bit of a loss, albeit nothing too nasty considering i owned and drove it for a year.
my thoughts are that i need to test drive the Porto and 458 and see which one i prefer and feel that i can live with and enjoy the most, whatever car i choose, it wont be a daily driver but as stated I will likely cover 5k ish miles per year.

I know of at least two Lamborghinis in the past year that were sold by main dealers and subsequently found out to have inaccurate mileages. I believe the dealers didn't quibble and bought them back immediately but it happens more often than people think.

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk