What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

599 GTB

AhmetU.

Hello everyone,
I've been a member of the Ferrarichat forum for a while and I follow the threads there from time to time, but I just registered here. I thought I'd make a quick introduction by starting a topic :)
I have owned a 599 gtb for about 3 years (current 8500 miles) and every time I use the car, I enjoy it and feel special but lately i've been wondering if it's time to change to another ferrari model. This was 458 Italia first however I'm not sure if this will be the right decision because for me v12 ferraris are always more special cars. The only reason I thought about it was because the dct transmission of the 458 was very comfortable in city driving.
I wanted to get your opinions, even if you were to switch to a newer generation car, would you replace your v12 ferrari with a 458?
Have a nice day

Welcome to CS.

In answer to your question, yes I would. I’ve never owned a V12 but I’ve driven a couple and I’ve got to confess I’ve never really got the V12 is better than V8 thing. I’ve always found mid engined sports cars far more exciting than front engined GTs, I’d have a front engined GT if I needed back seats but for a toy I’d have a mid engined car, preferable open top. So for me I would switch but it’s all a matter of personal preference.

Welcome to CS.

In answer to your question, yes I would. I’ve never owned a V12 but I’ve driven a couple and I’ve got to confess I’ve never really got the V12 is better than V8 thing. I’ve always found mid engined sports cars far more exciting than front engined GTs, I’d have a front engined GT if I needed back seats but for a toy I’d have a mid engined car, preferable open top. So for me I would switch but it’s all a matter of personal preference.
Thank you,
Thanks for your opinion, as you said it's subjective, v8 rear-engine ferrari models are always more agile and concentrated cars, I'm well aware they're much easier to drive on racetracks or corners (I've ridden/driven v8 ferraris before) but on the other hand, I'm tempted by the feeling of having the iconic v12 front-engined Ferrari heritage and that's why I'm so in limbo.
Really tough decision, I think I need some more opinions, advice or thinking :)

Thank you,
Thanks for your opinion, as you said it's subjective, v8 rear-engine ferrari models are always more agile and concentrated cars, I'm well aware they're much easier to drive on racetracks or corners (I've ridden/driven v8 ferraris before) but on the other hand, I'm tempted by the feeling of having the iconic v12 front-engined Ferrari heritage and that's why I'm so in limbo.
Really tough decision, I think I need some more opinions, advice or thinking :)
I do understand your thinking (although Ferrari have made straight 4s and 6s, V6s, V8s, V10s and V12s as well as some other experimental configurations) and in a similar way I love my open gated gear shift as to me it’s iconic Ferrari and I feel I’d miss that if I switched to flappy paddles. But I’d probably learn to live without it as I’d gain other things with a newer model. I think you’d probably feel the same switching to a 458 with it’s mid engine and potentially open air with a Spider. Best thing to do is go and drive one and see what you think.

Sounds like you need to try an F12, as that's a more relevant comparison to a 458 IMO.

I'd have an F12 over a 458, ideally I'd have both. But I'm poor.

I've made the change from V12 to 458. I think you will miss the special feel of a V12. The F12 is your answer.

I've made the change from V12 to 458. I think you will miss the special feel of a V12. The F12 is your answer.
Thanks for advice,
Actually, you're right, Ferrari's specialty has always been v12 engines, they run smoother and their sound is unmatched. It would be really nice to buy an f12, but the price level of the f12 is above the budget I have allocated for the car, if I want to buy an f12, I will have to sell my r230 sl55 amg on the other side, and I don't want that at all :)
Anyway, looks like I'll have to think about this a little more. I must either appreciate the 599 and hold it, or convince myself that the 458 is a better car than the 599 :)
Have a nice day

The F12 was a huge step up over the 599, try one and see you don’t have to buy it.

The interior is better, the gear box is way better with double clutch and you can drive enjoy driving it in Auto not like the 599.
Handles better and does not wear the bushes out like the 599 seemed to do.
The 599 do sound good though, especially with the valves open.

The F12 was a huge step up over the 599, try one and see you don’t have to buy it.

The interior is better, the gear box is way better with double clutch and you can drive enjoy driving it in Auto not like the 599.
Handles better and does not wear the bushes out like the 599 seemed to do.
The 599 do sound good though, especially with the valves open.
Thanks for your comment, but I don't quite understand what you mean.
Firstly you told ''try one and see you don’t have to buy it.'' Afterwards, you mentioned the features that explain that the f12 is a much better and advanced car :)