What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

another little purchase

have you noticed all the "new" defenders have been bought up by dealers - I cannot see 1 LR franchise garage selling a new one.

I bought one too, biggest disappointment ever.. Woeful thing to drive :cry3:

it wasn't so much the drive - it was .....

the shocking build quality - leaked like a sieve
expensive to service
poor fuel consumption
rear seats worse than useless.
unable to get all our golf kit in for 3 people

but the final straw was one of our dogs could not get out and hurt her leg the other day - that was Thursday - and car sold by Saturday

looked great though - and some very silly pricing out there on bog standard ones.

Nigel will be alright with the special editions

on the other hand I will be putting a deposit down on the new Defender on Tuesday !

Last edited:
it wasn't so much the drive - it was .....

the shocking build quality - leaked like a sieve
expensive to service
poor fuel consumption
rear seats worse than useless.
unable to get all our golf kit in for 3 people
Once you get past those things you'd realise how **** they are to drive :D

To be fair they're very good at what they're designed for. Sadly you lot down south seem to want to drive them on roads and that isn't it. :)
I live out in the countryside...It seems to me that most of the people needing a utility vehicle out here seem to have these instead...

used_ford_new_holland.jpg

:)

Outside of the military I can think of very few people who actually needed a Defender for what they were originally designed for. Modern electronics, tyres and other advances eroded their superiority for most applications.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the way they looked, and loved the fact that a British design was loved enough that it stayed in production for so long. But you either had to be a midget (OK, sub 5'8") or a masochist to use one as regular transport.

That's fair but I'll see if I can give my comments perspective - there's countryside then there's .......

Literally just been for a walk near my house. Up through the woods:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1459069455.102355.jpg

Out across the fens a bit:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1459069499.537980.jpg

Up to this point here:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1459069524.967739.jpg

Blue sign you can see to the left of the gate?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1459069558.151044.jpg

Only in Lincolnshire would we describe that as a "highway"!

Out here they are great. The Yeti gets by but it's a compromise - wife, kids, something like a Defender isn't going to work for us. People try to make them work as normal daily transport but that was never what they were designed to do. I used to have a Wrangler which was far better off the beaten track than the Yeti but again it was too rough around the edges for family transport.

I remain to be convinced by the new Defender, I think it'll try to be too comfy and lose what a Defender was. A great car I'm sure just not a Defender. A little like building a big 'mini' it'll stop being what the original was supposed to be.

My 1979 bad weather "dog wagon" (not dogging wagon!!)
Hand painted in green and black hammerite.
I had to move the spare wheel onto the bonnet from the original fitment in the back because my Great Dane chewed lumps out of it.
Turning circle of a supertanker... and brakes to match
Good to hear it is going up in value. :grin:

landroverweb.jpg

you need a Range Rover then - far more civilised :thumbsup:

Depends what you're doing really. When the Wrangler got dirty inside you could just hose it down..... and I do mean literally - was upholstered in what they termed 'Trail Cloth'. Looked good but was basically indestructible. Engine would run totally submerged although none of the fords I went through fully tested that feature, got close though. A Range Rover is a totally different beast from a Wrangler or now old Defender.

Kind of why I don't see the point of the new Defender - you have (or had) the Range Rover, the Discovery and the Defender. If you don't want a totally rugged and basic off-roader go buy a Discovery, want more luxury buy a Range Rover. By scrapping the Defender and replacing it with a slightly smaller Discovery you lose something and I'm not sure you gain a lot. We'll see, not seen the new Defender up close.

My 1979 bad weather "dog wagon" (not dogging wagon!!)
Hand painted in green and black hammerite.
I had to move the spare wheel onto the bonnet from the original fitment in the back because my Great Dane chewed lumps out of it.
Turning circle of a supertanker... and brakes to match
Good to hear it is going up in value. :grin:

View attachment 145795

Nice :thumbsup:

Imagine your Great Dane chewing lumps out of your Range Rover interior. But that's the point isn't it - Defenders can take anything........ even hammerite paint jobs :grin:

Pah. Where I live that's regarded a well maintained main road! Our XC90 on decent tyres manages that sort of stuff for breakfast in all weathers :D

Yes, but that's the point - the Volvo or Yeti are for this side of the sign. The Defender is for when you go past it :thumbsup: :)