What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

Bahrain GP

Nosevi

Administrator
Staff member
What are your predictions?

I'd like to think Ferrari will be a little closer to the Mercs but not sure they will be. Be interesting to see what happens if Kimi get's a free run at it though.

Thoughts?

Looks like Nico has just the edge on Lewis against the clock again this year. So it's looking interesting both for the mind games and the racing. If they go head to head again in the race like last year we're in for a treat. I'd like to see the Ferraris in the mix, it'll be interesting to see how the tyre ware, strategies, etc. pan out. If Ferrari can't keep with the Mercs, hopefully we'll get to see Kimi go head to head with Seb.

I'd like to see Rosberg actually make a clean overtake on Hamilton, something he has failed to do in at least a year. The last time he tried was in Spa. In contrast, even when starting behind, Hamilton has passed Rosberg on many occasions.

Come to think of it, I'm trying to remember the last time Rosberg came off better against anyone in a wheel to wheel battle. All well and good having a car advantage, but even Vettel has proven that he can dice and pass when required, and this is a basic requirement of a top line driver.

Oh and Ferrari look very strong in race pace, my bet is for Kimi to be slightly ahead on Sunday, but in cooler evening temps the Mercs will have an advantage.

Watched Qualifying yesterday evening and was pleasantly surprised and looking forward to seeing what Ferrari can do in the race.

Ferrari are pretty much always stronger in the race than qualifying and Kimi can, on occasion, show pure brilliance off the line and into the first few corners - Nico could easily see himself in P4 after the first lap, particularly as Lewis will probably be taking keeping in Nico's way off the line as goal number 1.

My call for the race will be that the Ferraris will push Lewis more than some thought/think they will but it probably won't be enough. Nico might be up near Lewis if he gets a good start but if Lewis gets in his way (deliberately) and Kimi plays a blinder off the line and round the first few corners I can't see Nico out-racing the other 3 on the track.

My podium prediction is Lewis, Seb, Kimi (with Nico coming up with ever more inventive excuses in the drivers' pen afterwards).

I think LH will be focused on the 2nd placed man on the grid. SV is his closest rival both in qualifying and the drivers championship. I think that Mercedes and Ferrari might split their drivers tyre strategies depending what happens off the line and the first few laps.
Looking forward to an interesting race.:thumbsup:

Brilliant qualifying run from Lewis :thumbsup: Nico had been quicker in free practice, so was Lewis sandbagging or does he just have what it takes to put that ultimate qualifying lap together?

The Ferraris were quick and it looks like they've got great race pace. We look to be set for a great first few corners with Seb & Kimi starting either side of Nico.

If Lewis gets away cleanly ahead of Seb I think we'll be seeing more of the tyre management style of race we saw in China. Not flat out racing but interesting strategy wise nonetheless. Is Seb gets away first, then it will be interesting to see if Lewis can push for and achieve a pass without killing his tyres. I'd guess not, in which case it'll come down tyre management, the pit stops, and the in/out laps.

Anyway, looks like Ferrari are right back in the mix and were in for an interesting season :thumbsup:

Good race...

Solid overtaking moves by Nico, atypical mistakes from Seb, a solid run from Kimi on a different strategy to an excellent second place, and a master class controlled race from Lewis. Ferrari are definitely there or there abouts, it wouldn't take much of a swing now to have Mercedes AMG having to chase them. The track temperatures and the tyres doesn't seem to be the sole differentiator as seemed the case after QL. Mercedes "brake-bye-wire" problems sounded to be a marginal set-up with overheating in close order racing :shocked: As a driver you'd want that one sorted. Excellent post race interview from Toto Wolfe, very open. Also great insight into the Ferrari strategy software in response to the Eddie Jordan suggestion that they'd left Kimi out a couple of laps too long (which TBH I was beginning to think was the case during the race when he was dropping over a second a lap).

Anyway, I enjoyed it, and we look set for an interesting season to come :thumbsup:

Happy to see Kimi up there.

Nico's looking right on the edge of being broken to me.

Results are playing out well for Hamilton here. I wonder if we'll see him win the WDC again this year and then jump to Ferrari next year or the one after...

He won't jump to Ferrari yet. If Merc agree to give him his championship cars it will be a two year deal. Ferrari is likely then in 2018 before retirement.

He won't jump to Ferrari yet. If Merc agree to give him his championship cars it will be a two year deal. Ferrari is likely then in 2018 before retirement.

I suspect it will be a two year deal with an option for a third depending on performance. That would allow Lewis to go to Ferrari if they are performing as well or better than Mercedes.
I'm sure that he would like to match Fangio's unique record of WDCs with four different manufacturers but that looks unlikely and he will have to settle at three.

In the meantime, the right Ferrari driver came out on top today. Let's hope we see Kimi get a string of great results.

He's a winner in one respect : Must have the best looking wife on the grid !!!!!

Ferrari are pretty much always stronger in the race than qualifying and Kimi can, on occasion, show pure brilliance off the line and into the first few corners - Nico could easily see himself in P4 after the first lap, particularly as Lewis will probably be taking keeping in Nico's way off the line as goal number 1.

My call for the race will be that the Ferraris will push Lewis more than some thought/think they will but it probably won't be enough. Nico might be up near Lewis if he gets a good start but if Lewis gets in his way (deliberately) and Kimi plays a blinder off the line and round the first few corners I can't see Nico out-racing the other 3 on the track.

My podium prediction is Lewis, Seb, Kimi (with Nico coming up with ever more inventive excuses in the drivers' pen afterwards).

Didn't predict Vettel's nose cone issues but not sure he would have been second if it hadn't happened - Kimi was better than him today. Most of the rest wasn't far wrong though.

Agree with Andy though, Nico looks to be about done. He put on a fight today but essentially the top two teams have 3 top drivers right now - Lewis, Seb and Kimi. Not saying he can't turn it around but right now he's being out-classed by the other 3 IMO.

Interesting to hear that Ferrari have an option on Kimi IF he does well and proves competative (mentioned by James Allison I think on Sky). The implication is they are looking at it. Could that be because they're trying to entice Lewis across? Is Lewis just using that to get a better deal from Mercedes or is he seriously considering a move? Not sure but 'interesting' comment to make. Before this race it made more sense to be looking at that but mistakes by Vettel and Kimi playing a blinder blurs the boundaries a bit.

LH wanted a LaFerrari (when they were all meant to be sold out) and he plays the game with hints but he has a dominant position at Mercedes and there is no way they will not bend over for anything he demands as for the manufacturer his global marketing value is far in excess of anything they pay him.

His popularity (compare the global fan reaction to him vs Rosberg) means Merc have the perfect front man for their push to target younger consumers. He is well aware of that.