What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

BMW i3 test didn't work so well

Still not convinced. You may not commute but the fact you're surrounded by thousands upon thousands of people who do would kind of ruin it for me. I used to live in north London as a teenager as my Dad was working in MOD. Cities are just not my thing and never will be. Fine to visit I just have absolutely no wish to ever live in one again. Don't think either of us will convince the other on this one :)

I like cities, never lived in one but wouldn't mind trying it. I just don't like people [emoji14]

So the village/country life suits me

Interesting thread. I've thought for a long time an EV car for the commute would be good. I'm also weighing up other options. We are locally having a guided busway built and completion I think is next year. It has caused some disruption though. Don't know why we never got a tramway but I'm sure it was all politics and money.

The busway would cut the public travel option to work, by about 45 minutes. I think when completed it will take me about an hour (I hope) using two busses, one into Manchester and the other to Chadderton where I work. That's the plan.

The EV would be an alternative if the bus does not work. My current journey of 18 miles one way takes about ½ hour in the morning and maybe 40 minutes in the evening. I'm sure the leccy car could cope with it. We don't have a charging point at work though.

City living sounds good. When my GF's kids have ****ed off we will look at living elsewhere. So long as there is parking for about four cars (two under cover would be grand) then I'm open to anything.

I like cities, never lived in one but wouldn't mind trying it. I just don't like people [emoji14]

So the village/country life suits me

Yes I can see a draw back there.

Have just spent the morning in London as a 'commuter' for the day. Trip down (1st class empty train) was great as once a quarter thing, piling into the city with millions of others was hateful, getting back out to collect the big red fiat will brighten my day.

Some people like me get their energy and happiness from being around other folk, others prefer to be on their own. I think tat more than anything drives people's lifestyle.

It seems to me that all electric cars exaggerate the potential range and that is the Achilles heal of the e-car.

We've had a Golf GTE for 6 months now and it still a great car and does nearly all we expect of it. However, it has the ubiquitous VW Chip. Its supposed to have an electric only range of 31 miles. However, we only saw that on the range meter on day one. Since then it stubbornly refused to show more than 24 miles - and even that means only about 15 miles in real world driving.

Havingsosaid, my wife can drive the car for several days on electric only just driving locally and then just a four hour top up to recharge the 24 mile range. The car is earily quiet in electric only mode and the DSG gearbox makes seemless changes.

I can hold the charge whilst using the petrol engine on a trip to London and then use electric only where it makes real sense and no tax or congestion charge!!!! Its also easy to top up the battery on the run so no worry about running out of charge. And if I get fed up with eco mode - just press the GTE button and get 205bhp and 0-60 in 6.6 seconds!!!!

Anyone who wants an i3 should only consider the range extender version. We swear by the Golf GTE but each to their own. At least it goes some way to redressing my petrol head image........

I've got one of these booked for a trial commuting session with free charge points at work...[emoji106]
What I have noticed though is you can pick up delivery miles cars for >30% off before haggling on the approved used cars section on bmw.co.uk.