What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

F430 - Mobile Phone Mount

Tackleberry

I couldn't find exactly what I wanted so I made my own - sort of.

I hate wires trailing everywhere and gadgets stuck to windscreen, so set about making something neat and functional without having to drill any holes in anything, and can be updated or removed easily if required.

The basis of my mount is the Brodit Padded Holder with Cable Attachment.
This was important as the main reason for this was for long journeys and trips.
I liked this holder as it's just a matter of sliding the phone in and the connection is made, and of course removal is a cinch too.

The Holder is made to take the standard Apple Lightening Cable, however I wasn't keen on a white cable.
Unfortunately every black cable is aftermarket and the physical size of the plug body is larger.
Not to be deterred I milled out the connector orifice to allow my chosen connector to slot neatly in position.

The cable I chose was the Spooly "flat" cable, which will be come obvious later on.

fullsizeoutput_1a63.jpg

I knew exactly where I wanted it mounted, however there was nothing commercially available to do this.
So it was out with the tools and make my own.

I had some 4mm thick black ABS plastic sheet lying around and after some measuring, cutting, sanding, bending, drilling and test fitting I arrived at what I wanted.

Once happy I then applied Flocking to the visible areas.
I also applied adhesive backed felt sheet to the areas that coat into contact with the leather on the centre console.
While not visible I still wanted to protect the leather form any potential damage.

fullsizeoutput_1a64.jpg

As you can see in the next pic it sits perfectly in place.
Also putting some felt pads on the underside of the clip part allowed it to reset against the top of the Airbag ECU.
All this meant it was now nice and secure and not going to creep anywhere.

fullsizeoutput_19f1.jpg

Now with the carpet trim in place the reason foe the "flat" cable becomes obvious.

fullsizeoutput_19f3.jpg

And the finished article with iPhone in place.

fullsizeoutput_19f5.jpg

fullsizeoutput_19f7.jpg

fullsizeoutput_19f8.jpg

So where does the power come from I hear you ask ?

I don't have a radio, so the switched feed for that used to power 12v Accessory Socket with dual output Charger.
This is hidden up behind the dash. So the phone power cable goes under the trim and back up the Charger behind the dash.

As it is dual output I use it for powering the Tomtom - more on that later - which of course acts as my hands free.

And whenever I update my Phone it's a simple matter of buying the corresponding holder from Brodit, which is easily changed by undoing a few screws.

I couldn't find exactly what I wanted so I made my own - sort of.

I hate wires trailing everywhere and gadgets stuck to windscreen, so set about making something neat and functional without having to drill any holes in anything, and can be updated or removed easily if required.

The basis of my mount is the Brodit Padded Holder with Cable Attachment.
This was important as the main reason for this was for long journeys and trips.
I liked this holder as it's just a matter of sliding the phone in and the connection is made, and of course removal is a cinch too.

The Holder is made to take the standard Apple Lightening Cable, however I wasn't keen on a white cable.
Unfortunately every black cable is aftermarket and the physical size of the plug body is larger.
Not to be deterred I milled out the connector orifice to allow my chosen connector to slot neatly in position.

The cable I chose was the Spooly "flat" cable, which will be come obvious later on.

View attachment 155746

I knew exactly where I wanted it mounted, however there was nothing commercially available to do this.
So it was out with the tools and make my own.

I had some 4mm thick black ABS plastic sheet lying around and after some measuring, cutting, sanding, bending, drilling and test fitting I arrived at what I wanted.

Once happy I then applied Flocking to the visible areas.
I also applied adhesive backed felt sheet to the areas that coat into contact with the leather on the centre console.
While not visible I still wanted to protect the leather form any potential damage.

View attachment 155747

As you can see in the next pic it sits perfectly in place.
Also putting some felt pads on the underside of the clip part allowed it to reset against the top of the Airbag ECU.
All this meant it was now nice and secure and not going to creep anywhere.

View attachment 155748

Now with the carpet trim in place the reason foe the "flat" cable becomes obvious.

View attachment 155749

And the finished article with iPhone in place.

View attachment 155750

View attachment 155751

View attachment 155752

So where does the power come from I hear you ask ?

I don't have a radio, so the switched feed for that used to power 12v Accessory Socket with dual output Charger.
This is hidden up behind the dash. So the phone power cable goes under the trim and back up the Charger behind the dash.

As it is dual output I use it for powering the Tomtom - more on that later - which of course acts as my hands free.

And whenever I update my Phone it's a simple matter of buying the corresponding holder from Brodit, which is easily changed by undoing a few screws.

Very neat work and factory looking.

Unfortunately I use Waze on my phone instead of the crappy factory nav so I need it sort of in my eyeline. My currently solution is a phone mount that fits in the CD player slot. I am sure I could have a much neater solution...
anyone else show some options?