What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

Ferrari 360 F1 - First year ownership costs

Jason, all in all it seems like he was hit by everything - depreciation/market slump, retail vs private, big bill early doors, not using it ......... As I said, a tale of woe. I would hope a little of that could be under your own control but I guess he was maybe just particularly unlucky.

Mike,

Like the way you've included dust caps at £2.87 :)

Actually all looks pretty reasonable for running a car of the calibre for a year, doesn't it. Just don't go on Fchat and tell them what it costs to run a 360 over here, you'll hear the howls all the way across 'the pond'. :grin:

I like the Rear Tyres plus fitment £80 - what were they for goodness sake, very part worn??:hmmm:

The car was a minter from KHPC. I think the market went against him (we're talking 4 years ago).

Realistically, £60k was retail market value at the time - and this slid heavily across the year. I guess the trade bid at the time was circa £50k so the actual big hitter was the actually the void between trade & retail prices rather than depreciation. He also had the bad luck of a big bill & used the car infrequently

I got £39k trade for mine about 4/5 yrs ago, after paying £71k 2 and a half years earlier. That's when prices were the nearly the lowest of low. Remember someone selling there's for £33k trade not long after.

PS isn't the F1 pump an Alfa part too - for £300 ?

I got £39k trade for mine about 4/5 yrs ago, after paying £71k 2 and a half years earlier. That's when prices were the nearly the lowest of low. Remember someone selling there's for £33k trade not long after.

Rick, out if interest, what did the CS's drop to in the slump.

F1 Pump went bang and the car was deemed as needing a new clutch & flywheel £7000

£7000?!? :shocked: I'm sorry but I think he was thoroughly shafted.

Clutch replacement (incl. flywheel refinish - they rarely need replacing) can be had for under £2000 - even at main dealers if you haggle.

F1 pump is the same as the Alfa part, £250 delivered. Swapping the electric motor (the hydraulic part of the unit is said to be bulletproof) can be done by anyone who can hold a ratchet wrench, no bleeding required. I can't imagine an indy charging more than £100 of labour for this.

£7000?!? :shocked: I'm sorry but I think he was thoroughly shafted.

Clutch replacement (incl. flywheel refinish - they rarely need replacing) can be had for under £2000 - even at main dealers if you haggle.

F1 pump is the same as the Alfa part, £250 delivered. Swapping the electric motor (the hydraulic part of the unit is said to be bulletproof) can be done by anyone who can hold a ratchet wrench, no bleeding required. I can't imagine an indy charging more than £100 of labour for this.

Main Dealer Ferrari repair

Interesting discussion around the F1 vs Manual.

I was looking for a manual due to the horror stories of the F1 but I am now considering looking at F1 as well to widen my search and seeing that it may not be as expensive.
However, horror stories resurfacing like this make me wonder.:hmmm:

I'll throw in my costs for the first year of ownership of my F1 360 Spider (or what I can recall as its rather late)

Annual service #450
Brake skim (only necessary as I'm Hillclimbing - fine for normal use) #180
2 plugs (not much)
1 litre oil
Renovo to recolour hood (stock liberated from my warehouse 'for testing')

That's it - insurance, road tax and fuel unavoidable, private plate optional.

Unless you count my incident when I was unable to cleanly exit the garage and punctured a tyre so needed a pair I think that's dirt cheap.

Year two................

I've now had my car two full years.

Compared to year 1 this has been a relatively expensive one although not all was necessary.......Itemisation below;

F1 fluid £12.99 (I draw some out and replace it every now and then)
Lifeline Fire extinguisher £65 (maybe not a car cost so I wont add it to the totals)
Loom tape £3.45 for tidying the engine bay wiring.
Black VHT wrinkle paint £19.99 - I bought two tins to do the oil disairator but only needed one. If anyone locally needs some....Drop me a line
F1 relay and Glycoshell decals £22.73 - I changed my F1 relay for a CS one which as well as being 50A it's much, much cheaper.
The relay base was £4.55 off eBay and I bought a new crimp tool for £6.29 to crinp the terminals

Major service including tensioner bearings at AE performance £1878.07 - Adam also removed the dis-airator for me to paint it whilst it was in.

New battery - £74 from Eurocarparts.

12 months road tax was £227 (pre 2001 car).

Inlet plenum gaskets and a spare F1 relay for the glove box was £71.24. I removed the plenum to inspect the inlet butterflies and perhaps tighten. No issues at all so probably a waste of money bar the piece of mind that nothing is going to get ingested.

£54 for air box powder coating - best forgotten and another waste of money!
£3.18 for some s/s airbox screws.

Hill Engineering Track rod ends and subsequent alignment check £464.34 - absolutely not a waste of money. The steering is now super accurate.

MOT last week through AE Performance £101.40 - I know this sounds expensive but Adam takes the car and stays with it. That way I know it is in safe hands and will not be failed due to silly things/no knowledge of the cars.

Fuel was £965.47 - I only use V Power and on the odd occasion I've used my local BP garage the car doesn't run the same, particularly on start-up. I know many will not agree with this and it may just e an adaptation thing where I need to give the car more time.
The mileage between the MOT's is 3021 so by my calculation that is roughly 19.5MPG average.

The F1 clutch wear reading between services (2652 miles) went from 29% to 31%

So in summary;

Maintenance inc some cosmetics and MOT £2716.23
Road fund license £227
Fuel £965 for £3k miles

Insurance renewal has just gone through at £311 for 4k miles.

Finally, I'd had no CEL's or any other issues with the car apart from the dead dash that a battery reset cured. Anyone who says CEL's are expected or normal is fibbing :)

Let's see what the next twelve months brings......Is there a fingers crossed smiley :thumbsup:

Great info Mike. I'd been planning a thread similar to this when we reach twelve months as I think it can be a great help for others. It's useful for owners and new buyers alike.

This makes very useful reading : Is the F1 relay a part that fails frequently ?

Does that apply to all models ( mine is a 575M )

If so, it makes sense to carry a spare.

They don't fail often and less frequently in 575 and cars after assembly no 52556 have the 50 amp upgrade already

Year 3............

Mods........Can we maybe move this to running reports?

I can't believe it's been 3 years since a picked up the car (well in a few days anyway)

The car is pretty consistent in what it's costing me and in line with the general wisdom of between 2 & 3k per year exc fuel, tax & insurance although I'm pretty anal about it so a lot of stuff gets done as I want it correct rather than it having to be done.

Grand total this year is £2259.86.

2nd annual service inc gearbox oil change and a few bits & bobs £664.60
F1 pump £222.53 & installation £159.60
Coolant £23.48 (self change)
Aircon compressor £233.77 - this was used but in perfect condition. I wouldn't normally fit a used mechanical part but the new price is a bit of a joke. I was going to get it rebuilt but time overtook me so it is installed as-is and so far.....silent and working perfectly. I have an oil covered old one in the garage that I will get rebuilt over the winter.
I bought a spare 18" CH front wheel for £330 which is a bit OTT but if I hit a pot hole and ding one I didn't want to be off the road. I was bidding on one last week on eBay that eventually went for about £160 but dropped out as a bit pointless having two. I hope one of thee 18 CH wheel owners on here got it and if so sorry for pushing the price up.
£607.14 for fitting the compressor, new dryer, aircon recharge, replace a cracked clutch bleed block and MOT.

The rest is bits and bobs and as you can see not all of the above was necessary.

Clutch wear went from 31% to 33%

Fuel was £687.05 for about 2.5k miles. I'm not trying to work out the MPG as the price has been all over the place.

Last edited: