What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

First year with a Testarossa

Status
Not open for further replies.

cachias

Well, it's a year ago that I got my dream car, a 1989 Testarossa. I thought I would post up some of the highs (loads) and lows (few but expensive) of my first year of ownership.

Car was purchased in April last year from a private seller in Manchester. I had been toying with the idea of one for a while and had been browsing Autotrader periodically to see what was about. The car lept out as a nice low mileage (yes I know the deal now!) example, so I gave the guy a call. As it was a long way away I agreed a provisional price over the phone subject to viewing and off I went on a Friday afternoon.

Now, I broke probably all of the rules of sensible car buying and did not take any one with me and did not get it independantly checked. Wisely or not I used my gut instinct as to whether the guy selling was genuine did the house fit the image etc. Of course I checked the service history and called the servicing garages to check mileages etc. All was well and money exchanged.

Now at this point I had never driven a Ferrari before save for a short run in a 308 so had no idea what to expect. Here I was in a busy town centre after having handed over £30k+ in the form of a bankers draft ready to drie the beast! Obviously the steering was a bit heavy (to be expected as had always driven PAS cars before) and god did she feel wide to begin with. I was over compensating for the width in corners and what made it worse was that I realised that this car drew attention!

Luggage set was loaded into the car and original exhaust with car cover, trickle charger and seat and steering wheel cover were put in the support car and I was ready to travel back dow south! Fuel light was on so I popped into the local petrol for some Super Unleaded gogo juice! All was well upto £60 and then I started to panic, "it must click off soon" I thought! Past £70, £80.."bloody hell there must be a leak in the tank" I thought, so there I am on all fours in the petrol station, no leak! At £95 she has had enough, bugger thats a big tank I hope it lasts!

I head off onto the motorway to get home. First impressions were, it was not bad at all to drive! I had convinced myself it would be some kind of animal to drive, but it felt quite civilised. It drew attention like nothing else I had driven before, people would follow, pull up along side etc. But it was all good natured with the obligatory thumbs up! Nearing home thoughts turned to a more practical nature. Blimey, would it fit in the garage? I had know idea as I hadn't bothered checking! Would it get through the single gate or would the double ones need opening? I hadn't thought this through well at all. Probably most importantly would would my wife say, as I had not told her what I had done!

Time to phone home and let on:grin: ! Coversation along the lines of:

Me - " Hi how are you?"
Her - " fine, where have you been?"
Me - "Oh.....nowhere really, just coming back from Manchester. Could you do me a favours and open the double gates?"
Her - "'Yes, but why?"
Me - "Oh, no reason really, other than IboughtacarandIneedtogetinthroughthemsobealoveandsortit! CheersbyeseeyouwhenIgetin!"

I pull in at home thinking she will either laugh and see the funny side or will have my bags packed ready for the off! But to her credit she took it well, rolled her eyes and mumbled something about 'boys and toys'. YES, she can stay and the misses isn't divorcing me!

That was how G2EAT came into my posession and with 14600 miles at purchase I decided using the thing was better than letting her sit in the garage. So, after insuring her (£549 which I thought cheap) I set about sizeably increasing my carbon foot print!

In my first year of ownership I have done just over 6000 miles. One of the first jobs was getting a servie done as it was due in a few months, but I wanted a confidence check if nothing alese that I hadn't bought a lemon! Booked her in for a routine service and was told car was genuine, original and it seems a bargain as I was offered £3k more than purchase price! I resisted the initial temptation adn thought I have not come this far just to turn a quick trick and scarper with a few £k profit. G2EAT was a keeper.

Those first few weeks where great. Trips to work, Tescos, station, basically any excuse to get out and drive! however, reality kicked with a bite! I began noticing the rear screen was misting up! EEEck! Back to the garage who said if I was lucky it was a leak in the pipe from the water pump, if I was unlucky it was the water pump and an engine out! It turned out to be the latter so only a few weeks after having spent a few hundred quid it was hand in pocket time again! I thought I would get a few other jobs done while she was in.

I would not change my decsion for the world though. I have loved every minute of ownership. I have been to events I would never have gone to with the wife because I have the car. Met some great people (some of you included!) gone road Silverstone and have been on a memorable trip to Normandy not long ago. French roads are great and the sort of trip I imagine the Testa was designed for, long blasts along Autoroutes and minor roads! I even figured out where the luggage goes and used that too!

If I bought again the only change I would make would be to buy something that had been used frequently. My experience has shown me that garage queens can be financially painful!

So far G2EAT has cost:

May 2007 £549 insurance

June 2007 £248 + crate of beer for quick fit guys!
4 new tyres

July 2007 £910
Annual service, geometry set up, water and fuel lines changed

September 2007 £1732
Engine out service, cambelt, water pump and minor stuff

February 2008 £1218 Clutch Kit and release bearing

April 2008 £787
Fit clutch and skim disks and reglaze pads all round

Fuel £1800 - 6000 miles average £300 per tank = 20 fill ups @ £90 average each

Grand Total - £7244 + purchase.

I should save this year as I luckily have won to free services from Hollingsworth!

Below are some pictures of the car and some places we have been. The close up of the front spoiler shows some usage! That's on the list of jobs to do! I hope you have enjoyed my tale! Not enough room for some pics will load up after!

Attachments

• S6000274.JPG
    S6000274.JPG
    201.1 KB · Views: 967
  • DSC09138.JPG
    DSC09138.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 959
  • S6000318.JPG
    S6000318.JPG
    189.3 KB · Views: 994
  • S6000329.JPG
    S6000329.JPG