What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

Fraccie - Mondial QV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Club Scuderia

Club Administrator
Mondial QV………….my first Ferrari

Well, I turned 40 last year and thought “sod it, I’ve always wanted one and now I’m going to get one”. I had always liked the 328`s and began to search for one. After a few weeks I realised that they were out of my price range. I’m not rich and had a budget of £19,500, not enough for a 328 of any worth. Time for a rethink. So I joined F-Chat, at a very, shall we say, interesting time, scoured the net for additional information and decided on a Mondial, well within my price range and a four seater to boot, that’s how I sold the idea to Maggie, my very sarcastic and down to earth wife.

Initially I found F-Chat very daunting, but kind of got into how it all worked and began to understand some of the characters on there. Must say at this point, AndrewG from F-Chat was, and still is, very helpful with advice and pointers as to what I should look for when buying, he offered to check any cars out at a reasonable rate for me.

Then the war erupted and this place rose from the ruins, like a breath of fresh air. I cannot thank all of you enough for your patience, advice and help. Especially Malc, Malc, Mike, Steve, Steve, Tony and Dave. Malc and Mike in particular for answering all my endless queries and questions about Mondials. The offers I had to come and look at cars with me were amazing and totally unexpected.

I cannot thank you all in person, but those that have helped, you know who you are, a big thank you.

Anyway, I travelled all over looking at Mondials, why don’t people advertise the cars properly and save wasted journeys ,”Excellent and original condition”…off I go 145 miles, get there did not even test drive it, it was crap in every way. I was not paying concourse money and did not expect a mint car, but some of them were utter crap. I missed out on Tom Kranz’s car because I could not complete in time, looked a decent honest car though. Adnaan’s 3.4 looked good but was right at the top of my range. Then I found UIA at Autograph in Wakefield, 34 miles from home, so off I pops to have a gander at it. It looked honest and reasonable, no heavy leakages or signs of heavy use. “Can I test drive it Jeff (the owner)………..”, “can you come back when it’s not raining as I have to move 5 cars to get it out and then I’ll have to wash them again”. Bit odd, but yeah why not, the car looked worth a return trip.

Two weeks later, took it for a spin, drove well, felt tight and the glove box lid worked, that sealed it for me along with the door mirrors and arial working. I knew nothing about Ferraris but have had loads of Lancias and Alfas, and, lets be honest here, Italian cars are great, but electrics are not a strong point. I checked the extensive history, belts done 2000 miles ago at Strasse Porsche in leeds, new sills, waxoiled (again), new steering rack 5000 miles ago blah, blah, blah……… everything seemed ok.

Right, how much, no, not paying that, I’ll give you this, no you won’t….ok so we’ll settle at that…………..both happy, deal done………bloody hell! I’ve bought a Ferrari!

Begrudgingly goes home in the Merc 190 2.5 Diesel battle bus, at least it`s red, after arranging collection for the following weekend. Let impatience and excitement set in.

Got it the following Saturday, the drive home was exciting to say the least. Arrived and squeezed it in the garage, bloody wide cars aren’t they, the garage is huge but I live in a terraced house and access to the garage is via the narrow back street, takes three shunts to get it in and out. But it fits easily once in the end.

Right lets start fixing the minor faults, indicator out and number plate lights not working, all bad connections and easily fixed, just took time. Welcome to the world of Ferrari parts, the black plastic number plate light housings were goosed, how much!!!!!!!!!!!!…………sod that I’ll fix the old ones (thanks anyway Malc)……..Andrewg has some spare old ones in good nick, cheers mate. Sunroof is goosed, not bothered yet, air con needs regassing, S&S can fettle that nearer the summer(if we get one).

Checked the engine out, seemed ok, no smoke, just a very slight oil leak(I can live with that). I’m a plant fitter by trade and am ok with engines and gearboxes, but petrol injection systems are not my forte so it’s due to go and get tuned up soon.

275 miles so far……..no oil use or water use

Costs so far;
Metric tyre for spare £130
2 bulbs £1.20
Juice £57
Indoor cover (its always damp up here) £35
Enjoyment factor,,,,,immense
Merciless piss taking from the wife for going outside “to stroke my ickle baby”……..priceless
Help and advice from all on here….again, priceless, thanks to all of you.

I`ll try and keep the running report going over the year.

IT’S A FERRARI ,ITS RED ,ITS IN MY GARAGE AND ITS BLOODY WELL MINE………………amazing feeling, still grinning.

Cheers all

Part Two

Well had the Mondi a month now, no problems at all, covered about 400 miles in it. Including a blast up to Ulverston one Sunday with the Missus. “Well ,do you like the car then luv?”……. “it’s ok”…………. “what, only OK? Get back to your Previa then!”

SteveW, expert on here, supplied a K&N filter for it and gave it a tune up, top job Steve, thanks a lot. It was running far too lean. After Steve had made it richer it was like a different car.

Steve is a top bloke, very helpful and generous with all things coffee – like. He showed me how to adjust the mixture and was generally helpful and free with advice.

The air filter we took out was shafted, considering it was “serviced” before I got it I thought I better check the rest of it out. The oil filter was new as was the oil, took the plugs out, all BP8 EVX’s and gapped correct. Spent the weekend crawling around on a cold garage floor (too old for that carry on now) and everything seemed ok. Wonder why it had a knackered old air filter in it?………….No matter it’s got a nice shiny K&N in it now.

The flexi pipe from the airbox to the air intake was goosed. Checked the price with Ferrari and decided I could source some from work. Two new clips and job done, I have some of the rubber piping left if anyone needs some. This stuff will never split, it`s off a rather substantial compressor.

Job for the weekend, flush the water system out and refill with the correct mixture. Just for my piece of mind really.

Spent Sunday polishing it, can’t wait for the better weather to, hopefully, arrive. I don’t mind using it in the rain, but the roads have been full of salt for weeks up here. Italian cars, water and salt do not mix well.

Still going out to the garage to check on it and look at it. How long does that last?

Running costs;

£16.99 Bosch super wipers
£300.00 Cat1 alarm
£13.88 Wiring Diagram
£30.00 K&N Filter/Tune Up
£2.46 Air box Flexi Pipe & Clips

Juice £46 .

Come on summer!

March/April 2005

March/April 2005

Mileage………400 ish
Costs
Petrol:£100 squidgish
Header Tank Cap £3.00
Metric Tyres £539.98
Wheel Hanger
Brake Pads (F&R)
Pedal Set
QV Badge £176.75

March and April were expensive!

Partly my fault and partly due to necessity.

Biggest expense were new tyres,the old ones had loads of tread left, but were very old and hard with cracks appearing. An old sage told me years ago, "Don't mess with old tyres; they don't keep the car on the road"; wise words indeed. The problem is Mondials have metric alloys, as I'm sure you are all aware, as such, I had the huge choice of Michelins or Dunlops (did you know Dunlops were made in Germany?I did`nt)…………Dunlops being £135, they won the day, thanks to the lads at Tyldesley Tyres in, amazingly, Tyldesley, £30 per tyre cheaper than where I live and only 15 minutes from work. Sorted. Car handles a lot better now, well, as far as Mondials can………before you all start taking the pizz.

I did check out 348 rims and Volvo 850 rims, but they don't look right on Mondials. Sorry if anyone has them, it's just my opinion.

The car has never had pedal rubbers on it since I got it, the Hills ones looked ok, so they were on the list. As was a wheel hanger; they looked very handy. So I checked out a few places and ended up getting them off Dave at Scud Sales, the guy who helps the site by sponsoring it, did you not know he sold old Iraqi rockets as well? I suppose I could of bought them off Hills direct but I needed some brake pads, front and rear, and , wait for it, the QV badge for the back of the Mondial. Bit anal I know, but it's my first Ferrari and I want it to be right, not perfect, just right. So I ordered everything off Dave and saved on the shipping, plus I got 10% off as well, saved the membership cost in one shop, still haven't paid me tenner yet either!

At this point, with no affiliation to Scud sales or Dave, what a very nice bloke to do business with, no waffle, no sales pitch, and seems just a nice guy. The parts arrived next day and I was well pleased with the bits, except the brake pads(you can`t really get excited about brake pads, can you?)

Next cost, the front bonnet would not stay up. Now I'm not a perfectionist or into concourse, but a 4 foot yellow Stabilia spirit level propping up the bonnet on a Ferrari just aint right, is it? Big thanks to Steve ,MaranelloP ,at ,surprisingly Maranello, for those. Looks a lot better now.

Finally, got some Bilt Hamber clay bar and Autobalm, does what it says on the tin. Fantastic results for what you pay. I'm not gonna knock Zymol or the people who use it because I've never seen a car in the flesh that has been done with it, but I will say this, if Zymol is better than the Bilt Hamber stuff it must be an amazing product.

Needed a new header tank cap too, that was bloody expensive!

Nearly forgot,had a track day at Croft in the North East, my first one. Great day out and ended up going round in a 328, bit short of head room for me with the helmet on, but WOW……great cars and still one of my favourite Ferraris………….it`s an age thing, I like the older ones better.

May/June

May/June

Costs;

Petrol,stopped caring
Alternater belts,don`t ask!
MOT,£30
That’s it…..i think.

May was kinda crap up here, just a bad month all round.

The alternator belt had started squeaking, it will be referred to as FAB in future, so I ordered one off Dave (Scuderia Sales), it duly turned up, was fitted, went for a test run, got over 4000 rpm and it disappeared somewhere up the grass verge of the A56, oh bother! I thought. The FAB was an 800mm and the alt was at nearly full adjustment, so had a chat with Dave and he sent two more FABs up, another 800mm and a 780mm, just in case.

Fit new 780mm FAB,set off to work, guess what? Yes the FAB spewed at 4000 rpm, oh bother, now I didn't know if the battery would last powering everything for the trip to work and back, so turned round and went home. Something not right here methinks?

Spoke to SteveW and he kindly got me another FAB and offered me the use of his garage on Saturday morning. This had to be sorted as it was the meet at Stanford Hall the following week.

Fitting these belts is a doddle ,hell I'm an expert at it now, tools required (if at home) ;

17mm short ring spanner
19mm long ring spanner
10mm socket
17mm socket
Philips screwdriver
Pry bar
Wheel wrench
Torque wrench
Plank of wood (to drive the car on so the trolley jack fits under the car)
And another FAB
Trolley jack and axle stand

Anyway, up to Steve's garage, fit new FAB, revved to 4000+ rpm, sh*t! FAB on the floor again.

Hmmmm, put it up on two post ramp and stared at the crank and alternater. Bacon and egg buttie time.

Steve kindly ran me down to the local belt manufacturer/supplier where we picked up a thinner 7mm FAB rather than the normal 10mm. This was fit and duly fell off when revved. It is difficult getting two heads in the wheel arch of a Mondial, we managed three as Simon, Steve's colleague got involved. Simon spotted that the FABs were trying to flip themselves over when under strain and Steve spotted that the FABs were elongating when the revs rose and then dropped. Off came the alternator and the mounting bracket. The diagnosis was that the bushes in the mounting bracket had gone soft and this was allowing the alternater to move slightly out of line when under strain causing the problem of the stretching and flipping of the FAB. It was now 13:00 hours on a Saturday, where can we get some of these from?

Steve and Simon disappeared into the store area and came back with some bushes(purists stop reading now) from a TR7, we sleeved them down to 8mm for the mounting bolt, trial fitted them, filed a bit off and dressed them up and refit them into the bracket, alternater fitted, FAB fitted, car started, prayers said, revved to 6000 rpm, praise be, the FAB stayed on.

Top job all round, big thanks to Steve and Simon.

The alternator is a bit noisier now because the bushes we fit were solid and the originals were not, it will stay that way for one very good reason. This being, I phoned Dave at Scud sales (really nice bloke, for a southerner, and very helpful) and inquired as to the price of new bushes. Leave it with me said Dave, he phoned back and told me to sit down. They are not available on their own, you have to buy the alternator at a mere £825 said Dave, "that’s a tad excessive", says I, "not 'arf!", says Dave. The expletives have been left out of the conversation as it went in real life, but I'm sure you'll guess how it really went.

Following weekend, the car was in for MOT on the Saturday. It sailed it, with an advice on the side indicator repeater, now mended, and a bit of rust on the front sill, a winter job. I have'nt really gone through the car thoroughly since I bought it in Feb and was very pleased that there was no play in the suspension or steering, the brakes were so good and the general condition of the car underneath. There are a few places that need attention, but they can wait till winter. The winter list is getting longer, but it will keep me out of mischief; and the pub.

On the Sunday I set off for Stanford with a wager that I would pay for breakfast if the FAB lasted. Met Steve and Simon at Edenfield and set off for the M1. We had arranged to meet PanteraSteve at Woolley Edge services north of Sheffield at 09:00, 09:20 no sign of Steve. Damn, it was Woodhall services south of Sheffield where we had arranged to meet. Quick blast down the M1 and we finally met up, tootled off to Stanford, I had to keep slowing down for the stragglers (insert smiley here), we got there well before the southern brigade who had less distance to cover? I had an argument with the lady at the gate who was insistent that we park with all the other Ferrari's,we have our own area booked and we are going to park there I insisted. We had been there about 30 mins when the others, including the Goole 1, all turned up together, quite impressive arrival really. Good day out and good to meet y'all.

Drive back was steady and FAB stayed on all the way.

Finally met Chas up at Steve's place last week. Now I`ve only ever been out in one Ferrari, mine, which, with my limited experience of Ferrari's, I thought was quick and had a lovely exhaust noise. Chas took me out in his 355;WOW. Nothing else to say other than what a noise and what a car, thanks a lot mate.

One of my mates who I worked overseas with was home from Australia this weekend just gone, and we had a bit of a get together. He really wanted a blast in the Mondial, so I took it over. There were about 14 7-12 year old lads there as well who all wanted to go out in the Mondial. So I spent an hour or so driving them about in turn, they all wanted to go in the front so it was one at a time. Cost me about half a tank, but it was worth it to see them all so excited and wide eyed, never seen so many photo's taken of little lads sat in a car. They enjoyed it and I'm glad I could make them happy, is that what the Ferrari ethos is about? I like to think so.....

Till next time.

July 2006

July…Ouch.

Hoses, gaskets, stainless steel clips, new antifreeze and bits £275.
Cuts and grazes on hands, lots.
Enjoyment, hmmmmm, I’ll get back to you on that one.
Experience gained? lots.
Still love my car? yes.
Petrol? care even less now.
Still going to the garage just to look at it? oh yes!

Took the car to work to take one of the Italian lads out for a spin, car behaved perfectly all day. Got home, parked in the garage, went for a coffee, went back out and “Oh deary me, I wonder where all that pink antifreeze stuff has appeared from”, or thoughts to that effect.

No great problem I thought as the water was under the front of the car on initial inspection. Then I noticed that there was water all down the drivers side, quick check with a spirit level, oh goolies, the floor runs back to front, water leak at engine end of the car.

Had a quick gander around, nearly scalded my hand, so decided to leave it until the morning. I phoned SteveW for a bit of guidance and then went to the pub for some solace.

Saturday morning, refilled with water, started her, no leaks, how odd. I hoped for an Immaculate Repair job, well it happened before to Mary, no chance, as soon as it warmed up the leak started. This being the case, I checked the pipe after the thermostat, the one that SteveW suspected and had said was a bit awkward to get at. Yes, you don’t have to be a genius to know when you’ve found a split water pipe leaking hot water. Damn, damn, damn, no point looking at it, get the tool chest opened.

Quick examination and yes the plenum chamber has to come off, and the injectors so as to be able to get at the nuts under the plenum. Steve said they were a right sod to get at, man does not speak with forked tongue. I had to make a special tool to get at two of the nuts (i.e. grind a spanner down to the necessary thinness to get at them) Took them all off and all the other bits that you have to remove to get at the fasteners. Took the plenum off and placed it on work bench. Took the gaskets off and the spacer rings, argghh there are only seven, surely the eighth has not fallen down the plenums ? Out comes the flexi magnet and down the plenums it goes; nothing. After a cigarette made of the emotion of phewwww, I checked the plenum chamber, there it was stuck with gasket sealant to bottom of the plenum chamber. Lesson learnt; all bits put in magnetic tray, so how have I lost one now? Another story.

The water pipe was well goosed, better check the one underneath whilst I’m there. What a good idea that turned out to be, it was nearly as knackered as the one I replaced. I figured all the pipes would be the same as they were probably, if not original to the car, then of a good age. It was such a fiddly awkward job that I decided to replace all the water hoses with silicon hose and fit stainless clip, I don’t want to have to do the job again, the worst part of it is being constantly bent over the car and having large hands that do not fit well into little Ferrari spaces.

I also changed the braided header tank to engine hose, all the vacuum and oil breather pipes whist I was in there. It has brightened the engine bay up somewhat, though the blue piping will not be to everybody’s taste. I decided to scrape all the overspray from the plenum chambers last in Situ paint job, not by me I hasten to add, off the injectors and injector pipes. One thing led to another and I gave the whole bay a tidy up, although I absolutely refuse to polish engines, as such it still shows it’s age.

The car is not back together yet and I’m off on holiday before it will be. When I get back it will be a rush job to sort it as it’s booked out for one of our friends 10 year old lads birthday the weekend after I get back.

Massive thanks and thumbs up for SteveW for repainting the plenum chamber for me, it was a mess, and for his invaluable help and advice again.

Also, again, massive thanks and a big thumbs up for Dave at Scuderia Sales for sorting all my gaskets out for me, for general advice and general micky taking.

Top blokes both of you.

Later Gents

October - December 2006

October - December 2006

Sorry for the delay in updating my running report, holidays and all that sort of things.

A few things have happened since my last report.

The timing belts and bearings were done , linkage here;

http://www.clubscuderia.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=10104

Handbrake cable was replaced, here ;

http://www.clubscuderia.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=9440

Gear oil changed here ;

http://www.clubscuderia.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=9946

Seats stripped and sorted here ;

http://www.clubscuderia.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=9917&highlight=leather+seats

New alternator mounting bracket, bushes and sleeves. Thanks to Keith at Eurospares, top man. Linkeage ;

http://www.clubscuderia.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=10179

We changed the oil and filter at the same time as doing the belts. The car has obviously done little mileage due to all the work that I have done on it. The timing bearings were getting noisy and I really did not want to risk one collapsing whilst I was driving it.

With all the work carried out this year, I will be bloody well annoyed if I can`t get out more in it next year. Everything should be ok though.

I did the vast majority of the work myself, I dread to think of the labour costs if I had`nt , SteveW was a great help with the timing belts, thanks mate.

Ball park figures for the parts were:

Belts and bearings £60 , cheers Dave at Scuderia Sales

Handbrake cable £40, alt bracket (second hand) £40 , bushes and sleeves £28, Thanks Keith at Eurospares.

Redline gear oil £60, yes it is expensive , but what a difference it has made.

Engine oil £35 Maccess (GTX magnetic) , filter ,Thanks Andrew.

Seats, weel you`ll just have to speak to the guy in the thread that I linked.

Lost my 16/17 mm short ring spanner, God knows where, but another £4 to replace it.

I have enjoyed doing all the jobs, most of the time and I now know what has and has not been done.

January 2007 to May 2007.

January 2007 to May 2007.

Well the old girl ran out of tax at the end of January, so I figured I would sorn her and give her a quick tidy and get round to those jobs that I`ve been getting round to for a while.

The brake callipers had been painted in situ before, with red aerosol, the looked a right mess and the overspray on the discs and half shafts annoyed me everytime I took a wheel off. So I took them all off, the flexi`s were a bit aged as well, that was a good job as I had to cut the pipe and hammer an undersize socket on the union to get them out of the calliper, I wish garages or whoever works on cars would use copperslip. Stevew sorted me some new aeroquip ( I hope that Neil, aka Tiganut, will let me live this down after all the grief I gave him about them) one`s out at a very keen price, the aeroquips were cheaper than the standard Ferrari parts as well!

The full story is here…

I sprayed one calliper red, it looked bloody awful, so I painted them all black instead.

The clutch slave was leaking also, Dave at Scuderia systems sorted me a new one, thanks, and Mike has since had some new seals made, I bought a couple off him as Ferrari no longer do seal kits. My old one is scored, so I`ll hone it out and see if it can be kept as a spare.

My random babbling is here….

Bolted the car all back together and figured that I would tax her on the first of April, how wrong was I. After a very gracious offer from KenC, I could not back out of going to Goodwood to meet some of the guys from here. So on the Saturday morning of March the 31st, I torqued up the wheel nuts had a quick check around and set off for a 700 mile weekend, I must admit that I was a bit dubious if the car would make after I had spent nearly all last year getting her mechanically right and no matter how thorough you are , there are always niggling doubts. I should`nt have worried, the old lass behaved superbly, averaging 25 mpg . It was a great meet and it was good to meet a lot of names , especially Kato!

Full photos and inane witterings are are in this section…

I then had a days driving lesson from a bloke who teaches Traffic Cops and the military high speed pursuit and high speed driving. It was a revelation and I enjoyed it immensely , as did he, the old car has never been that hot since I have had her, but again, she behaved impeccably.

Last thing for this report was the Theakstons do. A fantastic event, in beautiful countryside, driving amazing roads with a good bunch of people. A massive thanks to Dave Sweeni Todd for organising it.

full reports and photos….

Last but not least, I finally got my heater working again.

Oops, another last thing, now that she is mechanically correct, I have started prodding at the bodywork. I SHOULD NOT HAVE DONE THAT. Ah well, it is stopping as it is until the winter.

Later folks

Not much happened since my last report. I drove to Castle RMD (Thanks Rich and Mrs Rich.) for an overnight stay before doing the Tadworth Hall event.A very moving experience, i`ve never done anything like it before and it was very thought provoking, so much so that I missed the M40 junction off the M25…….:shocked:

Threads on this subject are Here and here for example.

The Mondial was booked into Stevew`s place for some bodywork being done on the front offside wing.It was bubbling and when Ian, the master craftsman at Steves place rubbed all the paint off,I could see why.Ian chopped a huge swage of rust affected steel out, hand made a repair section and expertly welded it in.I have some pics somewhere,if I can find the darned things.They do a mighty fine job up there, so much so that the car is due back in for the otherside doing soon.I`ll keep photographic records this time.

I did a favour for a mate of mine by taking his ten year old son out on his birthday in early November, Luke was well pleased with that. I like taking kids out in the car, they don`t care what model it is, just that it is a Ferrari. Suppose i`m like that when I go in other peoples Ferraris.

The car then sat in the garage with its friends, the dehumidifier and silica gel bags, until the Northern Skipton weekend. Inane ramblings Here and here.

Thanks to 360 Trev, I got a set of NGK platinum plugs of ebay really cheap and these will be fit along with an oil change as soon as the car comes back from Steve`s place.Mechanically she seems ok at the moment…………:shocked:

I`m hoping for a better summer this year. Especially for Bromley Paegant………:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.