What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

Jaguar F Pace

Chriss

As I've posted elsewhere, I'm starting to look for a replacement for my current daily driver : an Audi A5 Sportback 3.0 Diesel Quattro.

I've reluctantly decided that a Bentley Continental would be too expensive to run and a low mileage 997 911 4 S ( coupe or Targa ) has moved into pole position.

However, at the weekend I was at the Jaguar factory in West Brom and had an opportunity to look over an F Pace and talk to the chief development engineer for the model, Mike Cross.
Since the sad loss due to rust of our V12 XJS after 25 years of ownership, I'm without a Jaguar for the first time in 35 years.
The F Pace certainly ticks all the boxes and such is the pace of development that their 3.0 V6 Diesel version will be as fast as my A5 and according to the figures, should be more economical as well, even taking into account that you always have to take the figures with a pinch of salt. After talking to Mike, I also suspect that it will go round corners just as quick.

Externally the F Pace is almost exactly the same size as our elderly E53 X5 which has covered 135,000 largely trouble free miles and was bought new in 2003. But the interior of the F Pace is so spacious that it makes the X5 look really small. Under the boot floor it even has space for a full size 22" spare wheel !

Cars will arrive from April but you can already spec a car on their online configurator.
Even though it could replace the X5 as well as the Audi, I'm just not sure that I want one enough to spend £62,000 on the right spec and then face the reality of losing £30,000 over the first three years.........

Having said that, if I kept it as long as the XJS it would probably be my two boys that would be suffering the depreciation rather than me :grin:

On the other hand I could keep the Audi and get an E Type coupe for roughly the same money............................... :thumbsup::thumbsup:

10 year old X350 XJR plus money for fuel would be my choice

Nice car but we've already got the Rolls Royce for wafting along and whatever I get in the long run will need to be used for continental trips in the winter so really needs to be 4WD.
We will be skiing with the X5 in February but I'm not sure how much longer I can rely on it with 135,000 already on the clock. The Oil Pressure takes a while to come up these days when it's cold but there is no OP gauge to check what it is while running at speed.
I guess there is an OP sensor buried in the software somewhere. It's still a remarkably quiet and refined car, though. Every bit as good as the Audi at only 55,000.

I would probably buy a 2 year old Merc 350CLS Sportbrake if they made a RHD 4WD model but they don't.
Similar problem with the Jaguar Sportbrake.

However, the choice of cars with 4WD that can replace the Audi now and possibly the X5 in a year or two is rather limited.
I don't want another X5. From the BMW range a 640i would be good value but there are no UK 4WD models.

I have thought about keeping the X5 going for another five years if that proves possible. First thing would be to investigate the oil pressure - I've got the software to do that.

I could then buy an Jaguar XK. For around £30K you can buy a really good one and hang the fuel bill. Unlike the F type it actually has some luggage space ! Much less depreciation as well.

Have a look at this one. Bit high mileage and price but the colour is stunning :

http://www.inchcapesignature.co.uk/...eds-201511188793324?source=autotrader-desktop

What goes around, comes around : between 1990-1992 the XJS V12 was my daily driver.........

If you need 4wd, RS6 it is then!

Don't really want another Audi. The A5 is a simply brilliant car. It looks good, it's quiet, it's very quick yet gives 36mpg all the time and up to 40mpg in France, even at 95mph on the autoroute, plenty of space, beautifully built and the handling on Quattro models is pretty good etc, etc.
Mine has every conceivable extra fitted as well. Even the dealer service is faultless. But Audis have something missing. There is no soul or the kind of Brio you get from, say, an Alfa or the aggression from driving a BMW.
In other words, they are just too, well, German.

After four years I feel I need something else... Yet when it's gone I will probably realise it was the perfect car for me !

You could switch the X5 to a Cayenne Turbo it has been a lot of fun for a big SUV, it just shouldn't handle as well as it does. Air suspension allows for a wide range of comfort and ride height. Just don't look at the fuel gauge. :grin:

Jaguar F-Pace gets my vote.
With sports car levels of handling and more than adequate performance it does stack up as a fantastic prospect. Then you look at the practicalities which just get better and better.... it's vast inside with really usable space thanks to that wide rear stance across the wheel arches and you have mentioned the fuel consumption which is class leading and clearly very welcome but for me that delivers the more relevant attribute of meaning less trips to the fuel station (time versus money!).
To round all that off Jaguar have delivered what I think is the killer blow, it's a gorgeous looking car!
It's a rare thing indeed to make a large SUV vehicle look elegant while maintaining genuinely usable cargo volume! I think there are a more than a few design nods to the beautiful Jag F-Type in the F-Pace.
Hope you have fun picking your replacement, if your BMW is anything to go by, you best pick wisely as you will have it a long time..... enjoy and good luck with your purchase! 👍
Cheers, Giles

It's a myth that Bentleys are very expensive to run, though I don't know about older GT's, but since 2011 servicing and consumables are only slightly higher than a Porsche. The fuel cost is where they do cost discernibly more, but the V8 GT in particular is not even bad on fuel.

In fact V8's are now looking good value and I don't know why someone would buy a 12 if they are looking at a car up to four years old.

But Audis have something missing. There is no soul or the kind of Brio you get from, say, an Alfa or the aggression from driving a BMW.
In other words, they are just too, well, German.

After four years I feel I need something else... Yet when it's gone I will probably realise it was the perfect car for me !

Definitely true of a lot of them, including the current range as far as I've driven it, but some of the RS cars from the 2006-2009 cars are still brilliant - love my B7 version RS4, hate the current one (think it's the B8 chassis) and I think the RS6 may be similar based on comments I've seen elsewhere. My RS4 saloon even came with a built in compartment to let it carry skis!

Some cracking bargains coming up from forum members on RS246 lately.

...some of the RS cars from the 2006-2009 cars are still brilliant - love my B7 version RS4, .....
Love mine too.

When it's time to change (hopefully a good few years yet) I think I may look at a S4.

I'd never consider an Alfa to replace mine - it's my winter transport and a typical Alfa would last 5mins before pissing me off.

It's a myth that Bentleys are very expensive to run, though I don't know about older GT's, but since 2011 servicing and consumables are only slightly higher than a Porsche. The fuel cost is where they do cost discernibly more, but the V8 GT in particular is not even bad on fuel.

In fact V8's are now looking good value and I don't know why someone would buy a 12 if they are looking at a car up to four years old.

I've been looking at the Bentayaga it's a bit pricey, but looks the dogs dangly bits, I'd bin the continental and the beemer, should get enough for the deposit.:thumbsup: