What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

Malaysia GP

A Ferrari win was very much in the interest of the sport, trouble is, the wrong Ferrari driver won ( IMHO ).

Ironically a re-invigorated Ferrari could actually make it easier for Hamilton to defend his title if Rosberg continues to finish third or even fourth.

We need to remember that it was strategy wot won it for Vettel this morning, not outright car performance.
I'm sure that even without superior car performance, Hamilton is faster than Vettel or Kimi so I suspect he will win the most races this year and, thanks to the Ferrari duo, Rosberg will win fewer.

However it turns out it will be even more interesting than last year !

PS I may now be a Ferrari owner but I am a Brit so I'm a Williams, Hamilton and McLaren supporter, in that order.

Last edited:
Yes Chriss, agreed.

Whilst watching I was a bit torn, partly hoping that Hamilton would come back for the win, but pleased to see a Ferrari back in the hunt. Mercedes seemed to get their strategy wrong and it's possible that the extreme temperatures may have played into Ferraris hands, but their tyre ware rates and engine power do look impressive and it should add interest for the season. On the downside, the podium national anthem combination was too reminiscent of the Schumacher days...

Also I can't help but feel sorry for Alonso. He is a very talented driver and seems to have jumped ship at just the wrong time. He was putting a very brave face on it, as was Button. Hopefully Honda will get their act together now they have cleared the in season engine development and McLaren will also get back up the field to make things even more interesting.

a re-invigorated Ferrari could actually make it easier for Hamilton to defend his title if Rosberg continues to finish third or even fourth.
Agreed on that.
On the downside, the podium national anthem combination was too reminiscent of the Schumacher days...
And that's a problem?

I almost felt a tear on the formation lap thinking about MS getting his slower Ferrari between the then all-conquering Maclarens.

I had a feeling Vettel and Ferrari could be a good combination and as much as I like Kimi, I think Vettel will out perform him all season. I hope I'm wrong but I doubt it.

A good result for F1 fans regardless of who you support. :grin:

Last edited:
I have no sympathy for Alonso. He jumped ship from Ferrari already knowing that James Allison was designing the 2015 car and he was well aware of what a success Allison's 2013 Lotus had been for Kimi.

Alonso's behaviour at McLaren the first time round was inexcusable and we saw signs of a repeat performance earlier last week when he broke ranks and blamed the steering of the car for his accident despite evidence to the contrary.

I always thought that McLaren and Honda were making a big mistake when they decided not to produce an interim car when they were free to carry out unlimited testing of the Honda engine package during 2014.
This has proved to be the case and it looks like it is going to take some time to work out all the reliability problems.

I have much more sympathy for Jenson. He will go through all the pain this year and his only reward will be to be replaced when things ( hopefully ) come right in 2016.

Great to see a non merc challenge and a great team effort by Ferrari. Really down to LH not being able to use the optimum tyres for his last stint (used in Qualifying) and Ferrari easier on theirs at these track temperatures.
Now that it has happened I think attitudes will change at Mercedes and it will be more difficult for Ferrari but it certainly made it a much more enjoyable spectacle.:thumbsup:

Fantastic result but certainly somewhat due to Merc fumbling things and the Ferrari working exceptionally well in the heat with less tyre degradation. Let's hope China is similar in what will be much cooler conditions. A similar result there will really be reason for excitement.

Agreed on that.

And that's a problem?

I almost felt a tear on the formation lap thinking about MS getting his slower Ferrari between the then all-conquering Maclarens.

I had a feeling Vettel and Ferrari could be a good combination and as much as I like Kimi, I think Vettel will out perform him all season. I hope I'm wrong but I doubt it.

A good result for F1 fans regardless of who you support. :grin:
Nothing really wrong with it, just got a bit monotonous after a while.

A Ferrari win was very much in the interest of the sport, trouble is, the wrong Ferrari driver won ( IMHO ).

Agreed Chris. Vettel was great but Kimi was my drive of the day. Qualified well out of place due to the rain, then drove an ENTIRE lap (and its a long one) with a disintegrating rear tyre. Still managed to claw his way back up to 4th. Spectacular and shows the capability of the car. Had he qualified where he should have and had an uneventful race it could easily have been a ferrari 1-2. Looking forwards to some Vettel/Kimi action soon!

Why is it that nobody really takes to Vettel ?

He seems such a nice guy with a proper sense of F1 history and a very British sense of humour. Ruthless in the car, yes, but what (not-British ) World Driver's Champions aren't ?

Yet even the Germans don't really take to him and they can't even get as many spectators to a GP as we get to Qualifying !

Very strange.

Let's hope Kimi can beat him. He must have a good chance, after all, James Allison has designed exactly the kind of car that Kimi likes and did so well with at Lotus.
It probably also suits Vettel but on the right day, in equal cars and Kimi in the right mood. I reckon he might well be the quicker driver.

He seems such a nice guy with a proper sense of F1 history and a very British sense of humour. Ruthless in the car, yes, but what (not-British ) World Driver's Champions aren't ?

Yet even the Germans don't really take to him and they can't even get as many spectators to a GP as we get to Qualifying !

Very strange.

Let's hope Kimi can beat him. He must have a good chance, after all, James Allison has designed exactly the kind of car that Kimi likes and did so well with at Lotus.
It probably also suits Vettel but on the right day, in equal cars and Kimi in the right mood. I reckon he might well be the quicker driver.

He was booed regularly with Red Bull and was cheered yesterday. I think being in a red car, especially if he wins in a red car, will completely rehabilitate his image. I asked a friend in Germany the same question last month, he said that Vettel is liked but not revered in the way MS was, and he thought it is primarily because MS was from a truly humble background (Dad a bricklayer) whereas SV is perceived to be more of a rich kid by people in Germany.

Agreed, can't wait to see Kimi get a decent run and go head to head with SV. It was ten years ago but Suzuka 2005 popped into my mind yesterday. Kimi started 17th and won, and yesterday he came from the back to 4th. On his day (ie. when he is interested) he can be unbeatable. If the car is no good, he usually switches off.

It's just one race - let's see what the score is over the next few. Are Ferrari really contenders or did Mercedes get caught out. Who's to say Mercedes didn't let a Ferrari's 'catch up' this weekend - after Red Bull and Bernie making noises about making changes to 'equal' up the teams ...... Suddenly no more talk of Mercedes dominance and the prospect of a dull season ... Good PR ?

Is it true that Vettel exercised an exit clause in his red bull contract due to his championship finishing position. If so, has there been any press speculation he was considerably worse than Ricardo last year on purpose?

Very strange.

I think he went down massively in many people's estimations after the whole 'multi 21' saga in 2013. It's not that he overtook Webber when he was told not to, or even that Webber had apparently 'turned down' his car in response to the call so the overtake was more or less inevitable (allegedly). It was that he didn't question the decision to hold station after the final pit spot in the team briefing before the race but chose to ignore it when it turned out it disadvantaged him.

That said I actually think many people forget how he handled it when roles were reversed in 2011. Webber was told to hold station behind Vettel but ignored it and went for the place. Think he had fresher tyres or something because Webber was clearly the faster car but Vettel held him at bay till the flag. Thing is when asked about it Vettel didn't make any complaint, he more or less said they were racing, why shouldn't Mark try to pass? He said he found all the fuss about the incident "quite amusing".

Personally I don't mind the guy.

It is true and it was the same for Alonso, both were under contract to their respective 2014 teams for this year too, but championship positions allowed them to trigger those clauses.

Seb was not popular with fans, even German ones, long before the multi 21 episode. He seems to be regarded as not worthy of multiple world championships because of the perception that it was Adrian Newey's design rather than Seb's driving that was responsible. Yet he thoroughly trounced Webber who is no mean driver although the general view is that the double rear diffuser required a driving technique that Vettel excelled at but Webber couldn't quite master. This theory seems to have been proved last year when, without the DD, Vettel was made to look exceedingly ordinary by Daniel Ricciardo.

So, the jury is out as far as Vettel is concerned.

His move to Ferrari is looking to be every bit as opportune as Hamilton's going to Mercedes but to confirm the greatness that 4 x WDC should inspire, he needs to utterly thrash Kimi in the same car.

Somehow I don't think he is going to do that.

How I wish we could see one end of season race is which we could see all the top drivers compete in identical cars !

but to confirm the greatness that 4 x WDC should inspire, he needs to utterly thrash Kimi in the same car.

Somehow I don't think he is going to do that.

Not sure he needs to utterly thrash him tbh - Kimi is a world champion himself - but he probably needs to beat Kimi to give his critics very little reason to doubt his abilities. Kimi's drive from the back of the pack to 4th place with several fastest laps so far of the race was impressive, it's not going to be easy.

My impression is that Ferrari have a couple of very good drivers and finally have a car 'worthy' of the badge. About time! Not a massive Rosberg fan but I think his comment after the race said it all - "Game on!"