What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

RD250LC Project

Mike01606

Moving from the previous thread. I'll keep posting whilst there are people interested.......

The story so far.....

I wanted a bit of a project for my 50th birthday and have been looking at bikes from my youth for quite a while. One of my childhood best mates has a bit of a collection of 1980's two strokes including several 250 LC's, a mint X7, lots of air cooled RD400's and 250's.

My wife was asking what I wanted I said I wouldn't mind a 350LC if I could find a decent one in the right condition, hence my first post. She went to see my mate who said he would look for one for her/me. After a couple of weeks I suggested a 250 could be better value and my mate then offered Clare this bike. So rather than me find it, it found me.......

Elsie1.jpg

The bike is showing 15,300 miles, is SORNed and still has a 2004 tax disc on it. It was last MOT'd in 2006 and gained only a handful of miles since that MOT. A DVLA search shows no other MOT history. My mate bought it in 2007 and has never ridden it. It has 7 previous owners though.
Apart from the V5 there is no other paperwork with it, so if it were a Ferrari it would be worth about £2.50 :grin: Incidentally it was registered in 1987 on an E plate whilst they were only made realistically between 1980 and 83. Most of the plastic mouldings are dated circa 1980 so this bike was obviously a victim of the learner laws which killed demand for 250's in the mid-80's and consigned it to it's first few years in a crate.

I pretty much spent the next week pulling it to pieces, inspecting, cataloguing and boxing all of the bits.

It shows a lot of good signs that the mileage is about right. Very few of the fasteners have been undone (shown by the corrosion free areas underneath), it has the original sprockets (apparently valuable to a concours builder) and I'm pretty certain the heads haven't been off so I'm expecting it to be on standard bores (we'll see later on).
There are also no signs whatsoever of it being dropped or bent which is good.

Anyone who knows these bikes will know corrosion is an issue. The paint is tissue paper thin and a single winter of salt roads would reduce one to a heap of rust. This bike looks to have seen a few winters then left in storage.

This is typical of the frame underneath the clothes.......

IMG_0640.jpg

The finished standard I'm looking at is as 'showroom' as possible but not concours hence the easy decision to powder coat the frame. All of the frame components, subframe, engine mounts and brackets are at the powder coaters being finished in gloss black. I'm refinishing the bars and upper yoke in satin black (if they have read my instructions :mad:. I will find out Thursday).

One of the features of these bikes is the green drab finish of many of the metal components and hardware. See the bottom yoke above. Where possible and even if there is slight corrosion I'm retaining this without refinishing. The kick start and rear brake are good examples.....

The alloy fork legs and foot rest mounts are surface corroded and I'm not sure what to do with these yet. I need to see a standard bike to decide. I will probably polish and then brush. The powder coater said you cannot apply clear over polished alloy as it yellows...True?

The one issue I have is the main stand retaining pin was corroded in place. I had to cut it in 4 places to remove the stand. A new one is £147 or I can try to get it out. Any ideas? The powder coater guy tried Oxy/Acetylene on it and it still wouldn't budge. I'm not sure I'm ready to give up yet as I've forked out £500 today for a gearbox repair on the kids car :cry3:

IMG_0450 (600x800).jpg

Pretty much all of the zinc plate that is exposed is also shot. Here it is laid out....

IMG_0442.JPG

I've decided to use a local company in Crewe who come recommended via some bike forums. Turnaround is about a week and total cost is about £70 for all of the parts and fixings. I also managed to replace some off eBay with better quality parts. I'm going for BZP on all of these bits.

Next is the tin ware. The tank is very good both inside and out. You can get them repainted as a set for about £350 -£500 depending on how much work the tank needs. The metal is wafer thin so internal corrosion from water in the fuel is a big issue if they have been stood without oil in the tank.

The panels on this bike are really good and original. I will definitely not be doing anything to these unless I find an issue later e.g a pin hole.

IMG_0291.JPG (2) (800x521).jpg

Finally for tonight the motor is out but untouched. The oil was a bit mucky but still OK. Remember the crankcase is lubricated via the two stroke injection. The coolant was exceptionally clean........

I need to repaint the barrels and whilst they are off I'll check the bores and if nothing else, change the rings and little ends.

IMG_0284 (800x600).jpg

IMG_0286 (800x600).jpg

Next job is collect all of the bits back together from the painters and platers and then order what I'm missing/replacing.....

Last edited:
A nice little project you got there, nothing like the smell of a two stroke and the sound of micron pipes. :thumbsup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq7UEbgOKp8

Is that yours? Just watched the video...

I've picked all of the frame parts up from the powder coasters this morning. Very pleased with the end results.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395928421.578136.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395928438.294651.jpg

I had the bars and top toke done on satin.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395928466.811188.jpg

All of the threads have been plugged but I'll run a tap through them tonight.

The BZP stuff is due back on Saturday.

I managed to get one pin out of the stand but we got a bit overconfident and damaged the stand getting the other one out. I'm now in the market for a new one.

I really must sit down and order the parts need otherwise it will grind to a halt!

Sorry, the bikes are'nt mine just a nostalgic vid. I had a few mates with rd's and always liked them, you could always here them coming from miles away back in the day. :laugh: The bike seems to be making good progress in time for the summer.:thumbsup:

Not much progress this weekend

With Mother's Day duties and refitting the gearbox into the kids car I've not had much me time this weekend.

I've just ran a tap through the threads in the frame and trial fitted all of the bolts and brackets.

image.jpg

It's the first time I've used an electroplater so it was a bit of a learning exercise for me. Most of the bits came out great. A couple of items I should have polished them before the process as the pitting shows through. Overall though, very pleased with the results.

I've just had one of the carbs apart and again it looked like it had never been stripped. I've got it in the USB now so I'll post pics later......

The carbs needed a good clean inside and out.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396261010.687073.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396261031.370724.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396261040.753278.jpg

No real issues and the needle set at the factory position of 4th notch.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396261095.770259.jpg

Only part required is a new O ring for the float valve body. As a repair kit is about a tenner and most of it isn't needed I'll just source a couple of rings.

A hour or so in the USB cleans everything up nicely

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396261215.853999.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396261232.453620.jpg

Good to see not only me used to tap the bowl with a screwdriver when the float was stuck! Animals!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396261283.353011.jpg

The wheels are going to be a labour of love!
The rear is fine as it was covered in chain lube which has protected it.
The front has been attacked by brake dust as the disc side Is clearly worse.
The paper thin black paint is dull and you can see the alloy coming through. If you scrub too hard it will flake.
The alloy parts are bare alloy so will polish up Mother's mag polish but I'm undecided whether to repaint as they are not the standard I'm looking for.......I may look for another set to refurb.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396379683.714346.jpg

Any suggestions? Painting will mean front and rear and be a real ball ache......

Out of interest, does anyone know what the JWL logo is? I see this on a lot of wheels including Ferrari ones....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396379859.513458.jpg

For tonight I cleaned the inside even though it won't show!
New tyres and tubes are on the way...

Last edited:
Tyres turned up yesterday along with other shiny new bits. My genuine yam delivery hasn't showed up yet which is a bit worrying....I'll keep an eye on eBay!

The tyres were a tip from a mate. Dunlop K82 tubed tyres which have the classic TT100 tread pattern. Not that I'd remember what it looks like...

The first tyres that were used to lap the island at 100MPH

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396564112.295749.jpg

Last edited:
Progress tonight has been good as the wife was out and I was home alone.

New 1/4" ball bearings in the head races. 19 in each.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396564422.778386.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396564439.094948.jpg

I did consider taper rollers but I like to keep things standard.
Tightened them up to take out the play and they feel great.

nuqymava.jpg

After that I thought I'd put the loom back in.....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396564536.262322.jpg

But got carried away and put half the bike back together!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396564581.578396.jpg

Still need to press the new swing arm bushes and fit the swinger but I need a couple of thrust caps that must be in a previous owners coffee jar of spare bits....

Last edited:
Rebuilding it the house? Like your style.

Or did you have to move everything out before she got home?

:)

The conservatory....

We have quite a large one with underfloor heating so it seems rude not to use it!
I keep telling her that the rebuild is a surgical procedure just like those F1 workshops......no mess at all.

It did cost me a handbag the other day but a small price to pay. I even took time off the gliptone it.

I should really post this on Tim's handbag refurb thread...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396605682.324482.jpg

Keep the pic's rolling!

What the handbags ;)....

I had to move the tank and panels as the youngest is back from Uni.
Couldn't resist a try out.....also checked the loom etc was correctly located.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396717898.850472.jpg

Also split the forks this morning and cleaned out with paraffin. Again it didn't look like they've ever been apart.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396717961.699813.jpg

I now need to polish up the fork legs and carry out a repair to the brake like clamp lug. I'll break out the He-Metal later.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396717993.866992.jpg

Postman them brought my o/s bits including a full set of new indicators.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396718077.899881.jpg

I had a sort out and apart from a few parts that need refurb'ing, I'm ready to finish the rolling chassis.

y9u3u7ab.jpg

Then on to the engine!

The ignition lock is a bit scratched from the previous owners.....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397028558.596605.jpg

You can buy a new decal which I ordered. It was about £5 and rather than being a new bezel it was a really cheap nasty sticker that wasn't even that sticky and the font was poor!
Proper thumbs down....

I will remove the bezel and spray it black until I can source a replacement full set of locks.

What I'm learning fast is that there are a few places out there cashing in on the popularity of these bikes and selling substandard stuff.
I've placed a large order with one well known pattern part supplier and so far most of it's gone in the bin.

Last edited:
Last night I fitted the rear swing arm. At this point only dry assembly to test the fitment of all the parts.

The missing thrust covers and washer.....£15!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397030370.545171.jpg

All assembled and in place. I need to remove the rear mudguard to repair a couple of captive nuts so I will pack with grease and torque up then.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397030467.412027.jpg

I also replaced the swing arm bushes but have no pics. They were a bit of a pig to get in but I pressed them in with some 12mm stud and large washers.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397030483.279276.jpg

Finally I fitted the powder coated side stand.
I ran a tap though the threads.
If you do any sort of DIY work a tap and die set is invaluable. I bought mine from Aldi and it is perfect for cleaning threads up.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397030759.645589.jpg

Fitted with new olive drab bolt and re-plated spring

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397030797.478505.jpg

Apologies for the quality of some of the pics. The light is a bit poor at the moment. I'll shoot some better ones once I can get it outside.