What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

Repainting and values?

F355GTS

Shocking waste of good kevlar - The Ferrari Enzo
My 599 get's used and as such has amassed a fair amount of stone chipping over the last few years. It's been resprayed at the front before for the same, also the sills and mirrors have been done. It looks great from 10' away but get closer and on top of the common areas you start to notice small chips on the doors, rear arches, even a couple on the roof and A pillars.

I can have the worst down i.e. front, mirrors and sills but paint match is always challenging and so one option is to consider a complete respray. Talking to others the advice seems to be that it shouldn't affect value as long as it's documented (photographed) and it's clearly for aesthetic reasons not accident or other damage.

Either way I'll be using a premium company and putting cost aside I'm tempted to go the whole hog but interested in people's opinions

thanks

Hi Mark, I don't remember if you saw my Grey 550 but the bonnet had quite a few stonechips from high speed driving. I too was worried about getting a decent colour match, especially as it would have had to be blended into the wings.

So I opted in the end to have the bumper repainted and leave the bonnet alone. I did have it detailed and polished and while the chips were definitely there, it looked much better to me. This photo was after.

The chap who bought the car (who worked for McLaren) said he much preferred to see it hadn't been painted rather than seeing a pristine car that clearly had.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 355
Don't you just swap yours for another one with the dealer anyway? :)

I think as long as it's done for aesthetic reasons and is done well, it won't cause a problem at all and I suspect private sellers generally prefer them sorted.

Dealers don't seem so fussed (my V8V will need more than your 599, and they are happy to take it as is).

Mark, I recently had the sills, wings, door, mirrors repainted on both sides of my 599. Mine is black and the rear intakes and sills in particular seem to pick up small bits of gravel etc from the road. This is made worse given the last mile to my house is more or less single track and used frequently by tractors etc. I had the same dilemma as you but decided to repaint and then wrap to keep the paintwork in good nick (and for anxiety free driving).

My view is that if done at a reputable shop (I used Bodytechnics in Slough, they are Ferrari approved and the place is full of Ferraris, McLarens etc) it is better to repaint than not and I actually think there is probably a lot more respraying that goes on than prospective owners are told given how these cars suck up the road....

Good luck with whatever you decide..

Andy, you're wrong. Mark changes his cars when they need cleaning...

I'm in the same dilemma with my 575. It's nearly at 70,000 miles and has a few marks on the bumpers and a couple of other areas. It drives so well and isn't at all 'precious'...so I don't really want to sell it. But if I keep it I'll want to get it 'just so'. What's the going rate for a decent repaint?

I have the same issue..... My 550 & I travelled well over 10k miles together last year, and my 575 is already getting close to 6k miles with me behind the wheel after 6 months.

It's not a big secret, recently my car was advertised for sale with a friend & I've had 2 viewings & 2 offers.....

Both parties have not only come back & based their offer on the stonechips, but have both said that they are glad they've seen the car in "original" condition.

I would love to advertise it as "perfect/a1/mint" etc etc., but I don't because if it was me buying the car I would sooner see it WITH the stonechips etc, it's original & correct.

It's s hard position to be in

To paint or not?

If you're using your Ferrari regularly, you will just get stone chips anyway. Why not just use it Mark and keep it clean and tidy as you do, and then when you come to sell it. You can tell the new owner that it hasn't been painted or take pictures before its painted, and explain it has been painted.

You can guarantee the moment you paint it, you will get another stone chip within a month.

Simon