What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

Replacing number plate with sticker

I haven't and I am still searching for a good quality flexible number plate as no matter what I try the front plate on my 360 always pings off at the edges. Perhaps a sticker is the answer.

Yes, years ago on my 355. It lasted about a week after grit from other vehicles peppered it to bits

We've had a US sized number plate on the front of our Dodge Ram for the last 5 years. We were stopped almost straight away over the rear plate which we replaced with a legal one but nobody has ever queried the front one which is just as illegal.

For 15 years my MGC has carried near horizontal individual white numbers and letters on the glossy dark blue bonnet without any problem either. I usually have to cable tie a proper plate on the bumper for the annual MOT.

A smaller plate would be no more illegal than a sticker so why not try one ? Even if you are stopped, you will probably just be told to change it and even if you get a particularly officious cop, the fine would be small.

One of the show plate manufacturers could probably make you an Italian sized front plate.

Come to think of it, I might try one on the LHD 575 when it arrives. Probably nobody will even notice it's British registered when we do away with tax discs in October.

Last edited:
We've had a US sized number plate on the front of our Dodge Ram for the last 5 years. We were stopped almost straight away over the rear plate which we replaced with a legal one but nobody has ever queried the front one which is just as illegal...QUOTE]

:hmmm: As far as I know US sized plates are legal on an imported American vehicle. :)

(Sorry Sy for the 'off-topic'! :grin:)

How to Use Small Number Plates on your Ferrari legally !

:hmmm: As far as I know US sized plates are legal on an imported American vehicle. :)

Actually we can't legally use a US sized plate on our 2006 RAM :

although it would qualify as being a vehicle without full EU type Approval, it fails the test because it does have room on the vast frontal area to have a full sized plate fitted. To be legal it therefore should be fitted with a plate carrying the full 79mm high font rather than the bike-sized 64mm font used on US sized plates.

The relevant details are reproduced below from the excellent www.craigsplates.com website:

"The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2002 is the statutory instrument you need ( to look at).

It is a piece of legislation that sets out the requirements for a road legal import plate and I suggest you all have a copy in your glove box. It is here that you find out your imported vehicle can ONLY display the smaller font if it satisfies two criteria:
(1) does not have European Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval and
(2) is so constructed that the area available for the fixing of the registration plate precludes the display on the plate of a registration mark in conformity with the requirements of regulation 14 (see the 2001 document)."

However further down on the website it gets interesting for all of us :

You can legally use a smaller than standard plate on ANY vehicle

Just as long as the minimum letter sizes and spacings are used.

For example :

The DVLA plate I have bought for the 575 is F12 CHS.

According to Craigsplates, because it has a 1 (or if it had an I in it) the minimum size of a legal plate for this registration is only 90mm x 390mm. (Without either of these characters you have to add 30mm)

That compares with a standard plate which is much bigger at 111mm x 520mm.

So it's possible to display a considerably smaller plate on any car and remain completely legal. That would help us with lots of Ferrari models, wouldn't it ?

Have a look at the Craigsplates.com website for more info.

By the way, the fine for a non-compliant plate is only £60 and from our experience, it seems to be only non-compliant rear plates that attract significant attention.

If you own a 360 or a 304, for example, it therefore seems to me worth trying a very small plate on the front using the motorcycle 64mm font. If you use a standard full size car plate at the rear you will avoid being pulled over.

Last edited:
We've had a US sized number plate on the front of our Dodge Ram for the last 5 years. We were stopped almost straight away over the rear plate which we replaced with a legal one but nobody has ever queried the front one which is just as illegal...QUOTE]

(Sorry Sy for the 'off-topic'! :grin:)

Thanks for PM. Can't reply as your PM box is full. :thumbsup: