What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

Sticky Refinishing by Sticky RX Refinishing Solutions

Dave Rocks

Hello Folks,

We are proud to be a new CS sponsor :)

We have been providing the highest quality refinishing to factory correct standards for quite some time now and doing business all over the world. Our coatings are hard -touch and not soft touch like the OEM so they will never get sticky. All graphics are laser etched - no stick on decals from us.

Here are a few photos and a video to get things started. We will post more content and updates soon.

Have a great day!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OCKSn0r_3A

Attachments

• Sticky RX Refinishing Solutions Ferrari 599 Lock - Unlock - Parking Sensor Buttons and Trim 01.jpg
    Sticky RX Refinishing Solutions Ferrari 599 Lock - Unlock - Parking Sensor Buttons and Trim 01.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 700
  • 20160923_104617.jpg
    20160923_104617.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 707
Great to have you onboard as a sponsor Dave. And love that vid, really shows the quality of the work you guys do :thumbsup:

We have been providing the highest quality refinishing to factory correct standards for quite some time now and doing business all over the world. Our coatings are hard -touch and not soft touch like the OEM so they will never get sticky. All graphics are laser etched - no stick on decals from us.

]

Hi Dave,

You do great work as I have seen a number of your threads on FChat.

Just a question on the finish. The statement above that I have highlighted seems to be a contradiction. The OEM standard is soft touch so finishing them hard touch does not seem OEM to me. Is there a reason why you have not used soft touch? I have tried a variety of soft touch paint with various degrees of success. I can achieve a good finish but the finish does not always adhere so well. If an edge gets knocked then it can lead to a breakdown of the coating.

With modern soft touch paints I would not expect them to become sticky like the OEM parts, interested in your thoughts?

Just wondered if you have tried to perfect the soft touch coating with any success?

Hi Dave,

You do great work as I have seen a number of your threads on FChat.

Just a question on the finish. The statement above that I have highlighted seems to be a contradiction. The OEM standard is soft touch so finishing them hard touch does not seem OEM to me. Is there a reason why you have not used soft touch? I have tried a variety of soft touch paint with various degrees of success. I can achieve a good finish but the finish does not always adhere so well. If an edge gets knocked then it can lead to a breakdown of the coating.

With modern soft touch paints I would not expect them to become sticky like the OEM parts, interested in your thoughts?

Just wondered if you have tried to perfect the soft touch coating with any success?

Hello Terry,

Well, your point is well taken. I suppose one could argue that we are not 100% factory correct because if we were 100%, our coatings would fail just like the OEM. Our use of that term is due in part to our laser etching process and our graphic replication being as perfect as it possibly can be. Example, when we replicate graphics we will even replicate mistakes we find - how is that for OCD? :D

Also, here is another situation where one could argue we are not "factory correct" : In most cases (not all), non illuminated graphics are done by the factory with silk screen / pad printing technology (example - vent arrows on 355's). Could we do this exact? Yep, we most certainly could tool up and silk screen these graphics. But, we don't for 3 reasons as follows:

1) Each graphic would require tooling

2) That tooling takes time to produce and our laser is programmable and therefore we can replicate and produce a graphic all in one day if need be, so it's very flexible.

3) A laser etched graphic will out live a silk screened graphic by 10 fold or more.

The use of hard touch over soft touch:

So, our manufacture can produce a soft touch coating and it's very, very good. However, the OEM's used 2 types of soft touch, black and clear. In most cases, clear was used over illuminated graphic parts. Black is used on parts with no graphics or silk screened graphics. Again, in most, not all cases (understand, sub contractors do this work, not Ferrari and Ferrari uses multiple subs and they all have slightly different methods)

The issues with using a soft touch are as follows:

1) While our manufacture tells us the coatings would not fail, I would have to take their word and rely on the testing they have done. I'm not feeling the love taking this risk because if we guarantee our work (as we do) and 5 years from now the coating starts to fail, we will have many upset customers and refinishing those parts for free would put us out of business. So, it's all about risk management.

2) The economics of using a clear and black soft touch and the process that goes on before that just does not make good financial sense for a boutique service. Our services are not cheap and they would cost even more to use soft touch.

We have considered offering soft touch at a premium with no guarantee or a limited one such as 1-year but I just don't see the market for it when our hard touch coatings are extremely durable, chemical and mar resistant and the color and sheen is a near perfect match to the OEM soft touch.

In summary, I guess we could change our slogan to 98% factory correct but that would sound kind of dumb :)

We strive to match the OEM as close as possible with better technology than the OEM's used. The market has spoken and it seems we are setting the standard for proper refinishing and the customers have been thrilled with the outcome which I am very appreciative and humbled by :)

Last edited:
Thanks Dave for your response. :thumbsup:

Not criticising your service just offering an observation. Claiming to be identical to OEM is just incorrect and quantifying percentage points lost deviating from 100% OEM by a hard touch finish is fruitless IMHO. :)

Deviating from factory correct with stated solutions that are acceptable to your customers is fine. The problem for me is that hard touch is not an acceptable alternative to soft touch making it an unacceptable deviation from OEM especially when trying to restore a car to concours condition. These interior trim items are very visible and hard touch is likely to incur point deductions in competitions. I expect for others the hard touch finish would be quite acceptable especially to rid them of the original sticky mess that seems to occur in many situations. :)

Thanks Dave for your response. :thumbsup:

Not criticising your service just offering an observation. Claiming to be identical to OEM is just incorrect and quantifying percentage points lost deviating from 100% OEM by a hard touch finish is fruitless IMHO. :)

Deviating from factory correct with stated solutions that are acceptable to your customers is fine. The problem for me is that hard touch is not an acceptable alternative to soft touch making it an unacceptable deviation from OEM especially when trying to restore a car to concours condition. These interior trim items are very visible and hard touch is likely to incur point deductions in competitions. I expect for others the hard touch finish would be quite acceptable especially to rid them of the original sticky mess that seems to occur in many situations. :)

Terry, aside from sharing trade secrets, I have no objection to open discussion. We pride ourselves on being transparent and discussing how we do things so customers understand the process. It's worked very well for us given others often surprise the customer by not being upfront. Much of what I have stated here is on our website and posted on FCHAT, etc.

I will disagree with you (respectfully) on a few points:

- We don't say "identical" and I've explained our use of the term "Factory Correct". I will further add that in the restoration business, it's often impossible and unpractical to replicate a process 100% due to material availability, etc. To split hairs even more, to your point, using a soft touch would not even be proper unless it was the exact material the OEM's used, which as I know, varies.

- Regarding "concours", in the US, judges are considering our offering to be perfect with no point deduction. I'm no TR expert but I do know the originals has metric tires and IIRC these are no longer available or totally unpractical and I've not heard of anyone getting dinged points over it.

And in summary, as explained prior, we are in business providing an excellent level of restoration to fantastic standards. Yep, we will probably not win over a couple customers like yourself but we need to focus on what is the best solution for 99.9% of the customer base and not the 0.1%. I say that with full respect but it really is the truth. When we considered offering both, it just made no sense as the bulk of the customers what to deal with this issue once and for all and never deal with it again.

And, I will share another example of how we do go above and beyond:

-We have done many, many 360 HVAC panels. In all cases thus far (except the one I will explain) the panel has transparent white, followed by black, laser etched, followed by clear soft touch. Our process is the same less the soft touch (oh, and the OEM uses a higher sheen black as the soft touch lowers the gloss). When illuminated, the panel lights green due to green socks on the bulbs.

So, we get a panel in with no green socks and we think? "this is bizarre" then we realize this supplier handled the green with transparent green before the white. We could have very easily put green socks on the bulbs and called it a day. Nope - we replicated it exactly (aside from the soft touch).

Attachments

• Ferrari 360 HVAC Green 01.jpg
    Ferrari 360 HVAC Green 01.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 548
  • IMG_6639.jpg
    IMG_6639.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 561
Last edited:
Dave, I would interpret "factory correct" to be identical to OEM.

I am surprised that US concours judges do not deduct points for the non standard appearance of the finish when soft touch paint finishes are readily available at least here in the UK.

Not trying to discredit what you do Dave but respectfully just offering my interpretation of your claims to be "factory correct" which to me would mean identical which IMHO can only be achieved using a soft touch paint finish.:)

Dave, I would interpret "factory correct" to be identical to OEM.

I am surprised that US concours judges do not deduct points for the non standard appearance of the finish when soft touch paint finishes are readily available at least here in the UK.

Not trying to discredit what you do Dave but respectfully just offering my interpretation of your claims to be "factory correct" which to me would mean identical which IMHO can only be achieved using a soft touch paint finish.:)

Terry, we will agree to disagree on this and I think it's really semantics to a degree. I guess folks could paint their older cars with lacquer but and that might be more "Factory correct" but really foolish :D

Have a good night :)

Hello Folks,

So, we recently got a set of 612 parts in and many of the trim components matched the leather color, Crema. What to do? No issues - we had our manufacture exactly match the color :)

And, the seat controls had a graphic for the seat heaters. At first, I really did not think we could pull this off, but I underestimated my college Randy who is the laser expert and he knocked it out of the part :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Sticky RX Refinishing Solutions Ferrari 612 Crema Left Seat Control Panel Completed 03-CS.jpg
    Sticky RX Refinishing Solutions Ferrari 612 Crema Left Seat Control Panel Completed 03-CS.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 380
  • Sticky RX Refinishing Solutions Ferrari 612 Crema Roof Console Completed 03-CS.jpg
    Sticky RX Refinishing Solutions Ferrari 612 Crema Roof Console Completed 03-CS.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 354
Terry, we will agree to disagree on this and I think it's really semantics to a degree. I guess folks could paint their older cars with lacquer but and that might be more "Factory correct" but really foolish :D

Have a good night :)

Agreed, we disagree. Not really semantics, it is clear what is a soft touch or a hard touch finish :)

It has to be soft touch to be "factory correct" to imply otherwise is misleading.

Our use of that term is due in part to our laser etching process and our graphic replication being as perfect as it possibly can be. Example, when we replicate graphics we will even replicate mistakes we find - how is that for OCD? :D

"I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes." - Jimi Hendrix

Interestingly, I ordered a new mirror/ABS switch surround as mine was cracked across a corner. The finish is much harder than the one that was applied to the new gear lever surround I recently took delivery of. It is still just slightly soft to the touch, but takes several hard digs with a fingernail to even slightly mark the finish. The mark I made is on the side tabs, so not visible, obviously.

2016-12-08 11.43.33.jpg

After twenty years of complaints across numerous models, could Ferrari finally have improved their finishing process?

Interestingly, I ordered a new mirror/ABS switch surround as mine was cracked across a corner. The finish is much harder than the one that was applied to the new gear lever surround I recently took delivery of. It is still just slightly soft to the touch, but takes several hard digs with a fingernail to even slightly mark the finish. The mark I made is on the side tabs, so not visible, obviously.

View attachment 148014

After twenty years of complaints across numerous models, could Ferrari finally have improved their finishing process?

Hi Steve,

Is that mirror trim a genuine Ferrari part or a reproduction? (Did it come in a little yellow box?) I had a similar experience recently. We procure many replacement parts for customers and I ordered a 355 spider window switch trim (Genuine Ferrari). When it arrived, I could not believe my eyes. It was total junk. The plastic material was most certainly different than original (different color too) and the quality of the mold was horrible. After stripping it to refinish, we had to fill spots and prime a few times. So, I'm speculating here but I have a feeling many of these parts that have been no longer available (just like the trim you bought - that has been NLA for quite some time) are perhaps being reproduced via different vendors for Ferrari. ???

It's important to note that I do know for a fact Ferrari used multiple suppliers for the same parts as in the case with the green panel I posted. For a company that produces low volume parts it's hard to understand why they would have multiple vendors tool up, but they did. I can only imagine they price shopped and moved parts from one supplier to another. That said, different soft touch coatings (different manufactures) were most certainly used. To boot, in the coating market place today, there are many soft touch manufactures and many types of soft touch. So, to simply say "Soft touch" one won't always get the same outcome.

EDIT - and I should also note, new model Ferrari's have the same soft touch that fails as we do 458's, 599's and California's regularly

Last edited:
Hi Steve,

Is that mirror trim a genuine Ferrari part or a reproduction?

It's a genuine part in a Ferrari box and the moulding is of good quality. I agree that it doesn't seem to make commercial sense to source these from multiple manufacturers.

Unbelievable really that Ferrari are still applying the problematic coatings to new models. Another thing that shouldn't make commercial sense!

Until I read this thread I was not aware the 360 suffered with sticky goo. Mine is totally free from goo, however who's to say it's original and in fact may well have been refinished.

Alfa Romeo's suffer with it too. Our 97 Spider had it and so did my 2005 Alfa GT. My current 2006 159 does not seem to suffer with it.
Is it a problem on F430's?