What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

Tesla Model S

candellara

Having spent a weekend in Amsterdam:wink3: i couldn't help but notice the sheer volume of EV's

The Tesla Model S was as common as an E Class. After reading up, it appears that The Netherlands are banning the sale of petrol & diesel new cars as of 2025 (along with Norway, Sweden etc) and Germany following suit in 2030

I think "the transition" will happen before then judging on the popularity of EV's in Amsterdam

I'm now seriously contemplating a Model S P90 as my next car. I really like the styling / interior and the performance is astonishing. Anyone own one?

2025 ......that's not far off at all !!!

:cry3:

Mark - i stand corrected. Apparently these Governments have only passed bills / resolutions that call for bans. FWIW, i think that the uptake of EV's is getting popular and i'd quite happily run a Model S

Yes we have a 2014 Model S 85 thoughts:

Amazing acceleration, easily quiet, fantastic technology.
No congestion charge, no road tax, buy through a company, very low company car tax(for now). Our company got 100% first year capital allowance on the then cost of the car (not sure if that is still available now)

Claimed range of 300 miles in principle average driving is no more than 230 on a full charge, 210 when it is cold.
Very suspect build quality, ours has been in under warranty at least 6 times for a variety of issues since we bought it new in july14. On the plus side the service centers do offer a very good service in terms of collection, courtesy car etc.
Early models have no autopilot: some might see this as a good thing!
We went for 2 rear facing seats in the boot, our kids are now too large for them at 8 years of age and won't use them.
Not to be put off we are trading the model S for an X in q1 2017, so I suppose that is a vote of endorsement for the company and the products.

I have a couple of friends (both Ferrari owners) who have Tesla S and just love them. I have had a few rides in them and they are truly amazing. I have to say they are amazing bits of kit and if I had the money I would buy one:thumbsup:

Don't laugh, but I had a look at the Nissan Leaf for my wife,, obviously not in the same class as a Tesla, but quite impressive, the downside for me was the very strong advice from the sales guy to have a PCP, I always pay cash, the reason being the massive depreciation, the cynics on here will say he only wanted the commission :shocked:

l wonder what the depreciation is like with other EV's:hmmm:

No congestion charge, no road tax, buy through a company, very low company car tax(for now). Our company got 100% first year capital allowance on the then cost of the car (not sure if that is still available now)

Just to throw a spanner in the works, all of the above will change once cars of this type are the norm rather than the exception. They are the future though, whether we like it or not and they'll only get better. I just hope they continue to improve them as cars rather than trying to turn them into self-thinking robots.

geoffpfc;811732l said:
wonder what the depreciation is like with other EV's:hmmm:
They'll depreciate to near zero once the batteries are shot. Hopefully there'll be third-parties who embrace this market to supply replacements for less than the price of the second-hand car.

Last edited:
They'll depreciate to near zero once the batteries are shot. Hopefully there'll be third-parties who embrace this market to supply replacements for less than the price of the second-hand car.

I think Tesla is planning to reuse the car batteries in home applications as part of Tesla Powerwall.

There's a few guys at work that have deposits in on the Tesla Model 3. A Model S would suit me perfectly as there are large incentives such as the BIK rate and i can charge the car at work. a 200 mile ish range would work perfectly as even when driving to Hamburg, i just need an hours lunch / Supercharge enroute in The Netherlands and all Tesla charge points in Europe are currently free

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv3zYzl0kMQ

Last edited:
I think Tesla is planning to reuse the car batteries in home applications as part of Tesla Powerwall.
Hopefully they'll work out the best way forward for the customers. I do believe it'll be the future for us all, especially if they can get over that sticking point.

...and all Tesla charge points in Europe are currently free
They won't be once the user-base is large enough. Enjoy the benefits whilst they're here!

Not convinced about Tesla especially the autopilot and build quality https://youtu.be/sMz8TeVpMjM

When he talks of it being almost harder work being ready to take over when the car is on 'autopilot' than it would be just to be steering yourself, I can kind of see that.

Reminds me of my Dad saying how much he hated the Terrain Following Radar autopilot setup when he flew Tornados. He had spent years flying Harriers low level and said he trusted himself to miss the ground more than the kit. He was right too - couple of guys died when they found that although the kit worked fantastically for racing across Germany in a cold war scenario, the radar had a tendency of penetrating the tips of loosely packed sand dunes making the dunes appear lower to the kit than they were. The jet flew them straight into the sand dune. Point is, no tech is completely infallible. A Tornado had to have TFR to carry out its role (low level night attack), a car doesn't need to be able to steer itself.

I think my friend has an 8 year contract with Tesla (might be 6 - can't remember) with guaranteed free charging and buy back price.

I drove from Berkshire to Birmingham and back today and in the daylight part saw 9 Tesla S which is reasonably impressive

i have a 22 mile drive to work which would be perfect for an EV, and I would certainly have one in the future when the cost be comes more realistic

i have a 22 mile drive to work which would be perfect for an EV, and I would certainly have one in the future when the cost be comes more realistic

I would have an EV, nothing against them. But it'd have to be after they've got to the point where the electricity you use is green - charging using electricity from power stations mostly running on fossil fuels is a tad pointless.

I would have an EV, nothing against them. But it'd have to be after they've got to the point where the electricity you use is green - charging using electricity from power stations mostly running on fossil fuels is a tad pointless.

Not pointless at all - much better to generate electricity in bulk even if currently with a strong fossil fuel mix. Its so much more efficient than running around with fossil fuel plants in every car

Not pointless at all - much better to generate electricity in bulk even if currently with a strong fossil fuel mix. Its so much more efficient than running around with fossil fuel plants in every car

It is pointless as the distribution losses for electricity are in the region of 60%, one of today's big mistakes is the use of natural gas to produce electricity, in the good old days of BG in the 1960's, the president, Sir Dennis Rook, convinced the government of the folly in using the North Sea Gas to produce electicity, which the CEGB wanted to do, it was more efficient to convert the entire country from Town Gas than pipe it into power stations.

If you want an electric car then install a wind turbine and solar panels to charge it up, with a standby generator for when they don't produce enough energy:laugh: