What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

Why so colour sensitive.

Wilpert

Hello to all,
I’ve done the rounds with quite a few cars in my life, including 7 porsche cars. Not all at the same time I’m afraid but anyway, I’ve often gone for lovely colours, from red to purple and some boring ones in between.
Ive never had trouble come resale time but now that I’m on the lookout for a 458 spider or perhaps 2nd choice an Italia.
I cannot bring myself to save quite a few quid by not going for the safe resale red.
I’ve seen one that I love but it’s white over a red interior. Spec is good mileage is good, condition looks good and price seems pretty keen. Problem is that I’m certain it will be financial suicide down the line come resale time.
I’ve seen others advertised with red interiors but they seem to hang around forever.

What’s a man to do🤷

Hello to all,
I’ve done the rounds with quite a few cars in my life, including 7 porsche cars. Not all at the same time I’m afraid but anyway, I’ve often gone for lovely colours, from red to purple and some boring ones in between.
Ive never had trouble come resale time but now that I’m on the lookout for a 458 spider or perhaps 2nd choice an Italia.
I cannot bring myself to save quite a few quid by not going for the safe resale red.
I’ve seen one that I love but it’s white over a red interior. Spec is good mileage is good, condition looks good and price seems pretty keen. Problem is that I’m certain it will be financial suicide down the line come resale time.
I’ve seen others advertised with red interiors but they seem to hang around forever.

What’s a man to do🤷

This is the car in question
https://gjpopecars.com/listings/2012-ferrari-458-spider-4-5-v8/

I’m certain it will be financial suicide down the line come resale time.
What is your definition of financial suicide - is it the same as the 75 % (or whatever it is) of new Ferrari owners who do not specify red from new now ?

Or is it that you paid a few grand less but cannot accept what that means at sale time ?

I don't think it's financial suicide it's just that red cars hold a premium because they are more sought after so you pay more to buy one and get more when you sell. To my mind the snag isn't really that you'll lose lots at resale (as long as you pay a 'discounted' rate for a less desirable colour) it's more that you tend to move through cars pretty quickly and so you're looking ahead for a quick sale when the time comes.

The Ferrari market is extremely small and so if you want a car which will sell quickly it has to appeal to the widest possible audience, it really is that simple. And bottom line is a more traditional colour combo appeals to a wider audience. If this were a 'keeper' I'd say go for it, buy what you like, forget about resale etc. But my guess is you'll want it for a year or 2 and then to be able to get out quick and buy something else. If that's the case I think a bright red interior perhaps isn't the way to go because it'll vastly narrow your potential market come resale. You could get lucky and find a seller straight away who wants it but it's far more likely you'd find a buyer looking for say red with black interior. That's just a reality.

There's a difference between a nice non-red colourscheme (blue with tan interior for example) and something that's more of an acquired taste, like the interior of that 458. There will always be a market for the former; as Pete says, a much smaller one for the latter.

Personally, I despise an all-black interior and go out of my way to avoid it (even on the daily driver stuff) but I find a coloured steering wheel and dash top a bit too much - I suspect a lot of people would feel the same. That said, the only person that should lose financially out of a controversial colour scheme should be the first owner - each subsequent owner should pay less, and sell for less thus not losing any more in depreciation than the owner of any other colour scheme.

I’m a bit torn between saving 20k on a colour that I like or paying the extra for something that will appeal to others come resale time.

It’s such a tough call and something in my heart tells me to go for this one just on price and spec.
I think I’ll let the gods decide and wait a while, if it’s sold then my loss but maybe the price will drop a little bit more as winter sets in.

doubt you will see much movement in advertised cars until next spring. market looks fairly cool.

as said above, only person that should be loosing money in cars with “unique” specs is the first owner. only subsequent problem is speed to sell.

On a related topic - if you're wondering about movement in prices, I've discovered a Chrome extension called AT price tracker. If you use Chrome to browse Auto Trader, it shows any changes in price since the ad was first listed. It's very interesting - there's a few things dropping in price. For example, my local Porsche dealer has taken 10% off the price of two Caymans over the last 2-3 months in 4-5 chunks.

Also worth noting you can see the date an ad was placed in the URL - handy to be able to quote to a dealer that you know they've had the car for sale for x months

Thanks mon,
That’s very useful. I have got that browser so I’ll try that.
agreed re the price drops.
I sold a 911 turbo s to buy my Cali and got cash a k my way, funded some new horse. Anyway, they sold for 3k less than they paid me and it took 7 months. It was a well specced lovely car but just hang around.

Update,
White over red reduced by 6k.
Now the cheapest on auto trader for the year and mileage.
Also very good spec, very tempting now.

I think deep down, the reason you are asking, is because you fear what happens when you come to sell it? Otherwise you would have pulled the trigger, or at least shown the seller a bid.
It will always sell at a certain price - once you decide to sell, are you prepared to either wait a long time to get rid of it, or drop the price so that someone its such a bargain, someone has to buy it. If the answer to either of them is yes, then go for it. If not, then be patient, wait and get one that you really want.

Good points there.
I did call the seller a couple of weeks back and to be fair he offered me a pretty good px on my now Cali V8 2010.

It seems that I could seal the deal at around 70k cost to change against my car, which is in good colours, Rosso fiorano and cuoio interior. And has decent history but just under 30k miles.
So I’d be getting 64k for mine which is a fair chunk over what other dealers have suggested. Which means he either has a lot of profit in the car or he’s looking at the time of year and feeling he just needs to sell.
I don’t want to call him again unless im really sure that it’s the car for me because that would be a waste of his time.

If it was a daily eurobox different logic applies and it would have sold. Its not, its an expensive toy, and the concern about selling it on (with a Marmite colour combo) when you want to change, is why its cheap and hasnt sold. Dealer knows it, you know it (or you would have done the deal).

If you can afford to suffer a big big hit when you want to change the car, and really like the colour, then buy it. If you cant, spend a bit more and get something thats a more popular colour combo. Whole life cost when you come to change is likely to be less, and dealers will just take the piss with real low ball offers due to the colour.

There are some great 458 prices out there at the moment.
The exterior and interior colour on the white/red 458 are fine for me, in fact looks quite special, the only issue for me would be the red painted front winglets (deformable aero aides), that’s a shame in my eyes.
I would keep ‘em peeled and look at what comes up for sale in the next month or so, I’m confident prices are softening at rate we have not seen for a long time.
The bargains are coming, time to practice your man-maths!
Cheers, Giles

I quite like the colour combination (apart from the stripes on the diffuser). However, I wouldn’t buy it purely because of the challenge of resale. Whilst everything has a price, the number of people prepared to buy that combination will be very small, which may mean it sits around for some time. When I’m selling a car I don’t want to wait months (or longer) for a buyer.

I quite like the colour combo (red bodywork accents aside - what were they thinking?!), except for the interior being 'too red'. A black wheel and dash top would've made it much more appealing.
You have plenty of opinions here and deep down you already know what you want. Either buy it or don't, thread closed!

I quite like the colour combo (red bodywork accents aside - what were they thinking?!), except for the interior being 'too red'. A black wheel and dash top would've made it much more appealing.
You have plenty of opinions here and deep down you already know what you want. Either buy it or don't, thread closed!

“Deep down you already know what you want”
I don’t wish to be rude but I really don’t hence my post.
Thanks for your opinions though.