What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

328 Service And MOT due

I am sure that the reaction of many is the same as mine. Bearings of any value are loaded with lubricant and wrapped in greasy paper. Undisturbed and kept free from moisture they will not deteriorate. I would not hesitate to fit a five year or even older new bearing if it had been stored correctly. As we all know, in many cases of other parts, the older they are, the better the quality. Confusion might have arisen here because a rusty bearing was mentioned - but this was a used part.

Fair enough, Ron, I guess you're right - it'll probably make very little difference once it's in and moving :thumbsup:

I am sure that the reaction of many is the same as mine. Bearings of any value are loaded with lubricant and wrapped in greasy paper. Undisturbed and kept free from moisture they will not deteriorate. I would not hesitate to fit a five year or even older new bearing if it had been stored correctly. As we all know, in many cases of other parts, the older they are, the better the quality. Confusion might have arisen here because a rusty bearing was mentioned - but this was a used part.

:thumbsup:

We are agreed on that. However, Adrian's post regarding the quality of Hill's bearings (and their sub standard/non existent customer relations) still raises a question. I have installed 3 successive Hill bearings in my 355 - admittedly with minimal mileage (I run around with and have to service a few other vehicles). It's a bit painful throwing these beautiful bearings to waste (to be honest I am keeping them to make a very sophisticated trolley!) They have all been like new when replaced....but with low mileage and a warm climate maybe they did not experience the harsher conditions in the UK. It's disappointing to learn of poor relations with Hill. The construction of their bearing is, engineering wise, more solid than OEM. Should we not contact Hill directly regarding this part so important to our cars?

Just an update, cam belts changed with new hills tensioners and all aux belts, done.
both my previous tensioners from 3 years back we’re still good condition, just a small amount of grease on surface and both ran smoothly

also couldn’t put pictures up, keeps saying :-(
Oops! We ran into some problems.

Pics now working, nice one

old belts and tensioners , new ones fitted. With my vast working space in the garage

Attachments

• IMG_9539.jpeg
    IMG_9539.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9546.jpeg
    IMG_9546.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9530.jpeg
    IMG_9530.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_9468.jpeg
    IMG_9468.jpeg