What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

458 what do I use to treat the leather on the Dash ??

dinoman

Hi I have just treated the seats with some lovely hide food and they smell great, but now wondering what can I use on the Dash as I am sure the dash gets a lot more drying from the sun than the seats, but the last thing I want is to have a lovely shiney dash ?? think of all the reflections, so is there such a thing as a mat hide food ???, and help appreciated, Regards DM

Gliptone Leather Conditioner
I have used their dyes and other products on my Ferrai seats and trim and always found them to be good

I've used the Leather Repair Company stuff on 3 of my cars the last few weeks, and been really impressed by the matt finish left by the cleaner in the first instance, followed by the conditioning cream

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Use a diluted mixture of water and your interior cleaner of choice. I use a very weak detergent mix. It may feel like you are treating your car well by using a purpose made leather conditioner but on most post-2000 era leather it is a complete waste of money; the colour you see is a thick layer of synthetic paint with a (deliberately) impervious coating that will stop water let alone low viscosity treatment agents, other than in areas where it has cracked to reveal the actual leather underneath.

I simply clean my leather to keep it looking matt and when parked outside I'll use a sunshade to protect the dashboard.

Use a diluted mixture of water and your interior cleaner of choice. I use a very weak detergent mix. It may feel like you are treating your car well by using a purpose made leather conditioner but on most post-2000 era leather it is a complete waste of money; the colour you see is a thick layer of synthetic paint with a (deliberately) impervious coating that will stop water let alone low viscosity treatment agents, other than in areas where it has cracked to reveal the actual leather underneath.

I simply clean my leather to keep it looking matt and when parked outside I'll use a sunshade to protect the dashboard.

Hi Thanks,I am not asking about cleaning, what I am asking is what I can treat it with that will not make the leather shiney as I do not want the reflections on the screen from a shiney dash, Regards DM

Hi Thanks,I am not asking about cleaning, what I am asking is what I can treat it with that will not make the leather shiney as I do not want the reflections on the screen from a shiney dash, Regards DM
No problem. What I tried to say is don't treat it because it's a waste of money. Clean as I suggest above with diluted detergent like washing up liquid or a dedicated car interior cleaner and this will strip off the contaminants to leave the matt paint finish. Use a microfibre cloth.