What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

F430 Rear Drive shaft Heat Shields

RichardCH

The OEM design for the F430 Rear Drive shaft Heat Shields is just pathetic, has anyone ever fabricated any like exist for the 488 please?

Attachments

• Ferrari-488-GTB-Driveshaft-Axle-Heat-Shield-Cover.jpg
    Ferrari-488-GTB-Driveshaft-Axle-Heat-Shield-Cover.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 87
Nice one on the Fob :thumbsup:

Given the location and the fact they are in an enclosed engine compartment the shields really need to be made from proper heat shield material.
There a few ways to do that, and something I'm looking at for my products.

As these things deteriorate with age (mostly down to the hostile environment) and good quality replacement is in order. As such I'm looking at doing replacements for all the common heat shields in the engine bay, along with a few additional ones for certain there areas - See Image 3.

Images 1&2
For starters I've been replacing the nasty rusty steel brackets that hold the Cat / Airbox heat shields.
I have made these from Aluminium, and backed them up with washers on the opposite side as from the factory it's just the rivets, and the heads pull through the ali shields and loose their security leaving the shields to wobble around.

Image 3
Also a prototype of heat shield for the Engine Mounts.
Regardless of whether your Manifolds are themselves shielded or not, it's still huge heat source directly above those rubber mounts.

When I replaced my Mounts last year I noticed the rubber of the old - and original - ones had deteriorated as much from the heat from above as general wear and tear. Consequently the rubber softens, then cracks and perishes which results in a loss of integrity, then splits and eventual failure.

So to combat that I've fabricated some shields to sit over the Mounts and at least deflect most of the radiant heat away for the rubber.
Production ones may well be larger and have a deeper skirt, but as it these prototypes are better than nothing at all.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_284e.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_284e.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 69
  • fullsizeoutput_28bd.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_28bd.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 69
  • fullsizeoutput_28b9.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_28b9.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 68
Nice one on the Fob :thumbsup:

Given the location and the fact they are in an enclosed engine compartment the shields really need to be made from proper heat shield material.
There a few ways to do that, and something I'm looking at for my products.

I am not convinced that the Aluminium heat shields are very effective, the material is very thin and not particularly durable, interesting also that Ferrari upgraded the 458/488 rear axle heat shields to mild sheet steel