What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

Music system head unit upgrade - anybody done it

Wilpert

Hello all,

as per title above, my new to me 2010 Cali has had the head unit replaced with an Alpine unit, that also has apple car play and nav etc.
They also installed an amplifier in the boot, so it's all pretty good but I don't like that it has pinched a bit of boot space.

I'm totally not technical with car music systems, if you had asked me i would have called it a "wireless" but anyway, the original system has been retained and i have it in a box.
I hear that the original units are a bit basic but i don't quite know how basic that would be, i do like to listen to music and occasionally the radio.

Can anybody tell me how bad the original systems were, as i am tempted to take the replacement out and put the original unit back in, which i am hoping would be relatively simple for a a car hi fi person.

FWIW the surround is still intact so it all looks tidy enough its just that they built a box type thing where the space through the boot goes through the rear seats of the car, if that makes sense.

thanks in advance.

pic here:
cali audio.jpg

Last edited:
stereo

Hello again..!

if you just want to listen to the radio, original works, but forget sat nav etc.. Personally my old Cali had an upgraded Pioneer which looked good, but worked brilliantly. I wouldnt be inclined to revert back to original, but good that you have the original in case.

Perhaps upgrade the upgraded unit to one you like, and remove the amp or at least hide it away maybe under a seat?

I tell you what I would do if I were you... Change your stereo surround from silver to black. they are available and in my own very humble opinion, it really improves look of the interior... Just my 2 cents, for what they are worth!

Since I posted my question I’ve had a message back from the previous owner.
He not only swapped the head unit and had the amp etc installed. He also swapped out all of the speakers and the whole thing cost him 6.5k.

I’m now thinking I ought to leave well alone 😀