What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

My summer lifesaver....

great bit of kit , had mine 4-5 years now, only had to refill the resin a second time this week actually.
my filtered water comes out zero PPM.:thumbsup:

great bit of kit , had mine 4-5 years now, only had to refill the resin a second time this week actually.
my filtered water comes out zero PPM.:thumbsup:

I'm very happy with mine. Refilled it last year. It's very good but not perfect. I was talking to my window cleaner last week. He has some sort of 4 stage filtration system and I have to say that is absolutely perfect. He leaves the windows wet and they dry with not a mark.

Hi Francis

There could be a couple of reasons why you're getting the odd spot...

1. Not getting 100% coverage of the entire body work, or water dripping out of panel gaps etc

2. Your output hose from the filter, if its not brand new and dedicated to the filtered water, will have limescale on the inside which is being gradually flushed out with the filtered 0ppm water.

3. Dust settling in the water beads before they evaporate

Obviously when the resin is starting to reach the end of its life you will get spots, but you are obviously well aware of that having replaced it once.

Hi Francis

try googling/youtubing about pure water for pole fed window cleaning. They often use an RO purifier in conjunction with a DI vessel. Just be aware you do waste a lot of water with RO as opposed to none with DI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DciOd0G_XM

Alternatively, and something I'm considering doing - run a twin DI setup whereby the first DI vessel does the majority of the work and the 2nd one gives a final clean to the already mostly clean water to keep it down to 0ppm.

I only use the pure water for the final rinse off which I do with a watering can with a bit of tradeplan rinse aid added (from Halfords) which makes drying your car so much easier.

Hi Jeff

The twin vessel system you are considering is a flawed idea, as whilst the first vessel will do a 100% job until the resin starts to degrade, and of course the 2nd one has nothing to do at all until that point, resin doesnt degrade in a linear way, its actually exponential.

So what happens in practice is that the second vessel starts to do minimal work, but the first vessel degrades quickly and quite soon, not only lets pure tap water through to the 2nd one but also starts to dump its mineral load off the resin beads too. So you run the very high risk of contaminating the 2nd vessel without knowing it.

Plus, the added cost of 2 sets of vessel hardware vs the cost of just getting resin refills for one, which work out at less than half the cost of the initial purchase, and so its technically and economically not a great idea.

RO water production is also rather an expensive way of doing it, and certainly way beyond the level of investment and supply that a weekend car washer like Francis needs.

I'm just going off what my friends who run window cleaning businesses do.

In the pole fed window cleaning industry 0ppm is essential as water marks are there for all to see with it being glass and as I mentioned there's a load of videos out there for people to make their own minds up on the best set up.

I've already got a vessel and another on order so I shall do some experimentation and report back:)

If youre going down the twin vessel route, you need to have an in-line tester like the Resilight system to alert you to end of resin life in vessel one.

Hi Francis

There could be a couple of reasons why you're getting the odd spot...

1. Not getting 100% coverage of the entire body work, or water dripping out of panel gaps etc

2. Your output hose from the filter, if its not brand new and dedicated to the filtered water, will have limescale on the inside which is being gradually flushed out with the filtered 0ppm water.

3. Dust settling in the water beads before they evaporate

Obviously when the resin is starting to reach the end of its life you will get spots, but you are obviously well aware of that having replaced it once.

Thanks for that Mark. I do indeed use the zsame bit of hose from the jet wash power unit to to the lance, so maybe I need to get a second dedicated one for that.