What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

Went to Maranello yesterday

tom

I am currently in Italy and was at a loose end yesterday while my girlfriend was doing some WFH so I drove the 3hrs to Maranello for lunch :laugh:

First thing I saw pulling off the main road towards the town? A heavily camouflaged SUV which followed me to the factory where it disappeared... :thumbsdow

I had a mooch around the museum, sat at a nearby cafe drinking coffee and watching some fellow tourists having fun with the various 'test drive' places, then had lunch at the recently revitalised Cavallino to see what Massimo Bottura has done with the place. It's largely the same as it was structurally but quite a bit smarter inside, and as you'd expect the food is much fancier than it was. Based on previous experiences of both I'd have always told a visitor asking for tips to eat at the Montana, over the Cavallino, but the lunch yesterday was really good. Eat at both in future!

Side comments:
1) I always forget how little there is to do in Maranello without taking up residence in a bar
2) petrol is almost 2EUR/litre at the Eni by the factory :shocked:
3) the area around the factory has changed so much since the infamous forum factory tour in 2005(?); even since I was last there a couple of years ago there seems to have been more expansion of the factory and museum.

I am currently in Italy and was at a loose end yesterday while my girlfriend was doing some WFH so I drove the 3hrs to Maranello for lunch :laugh:

First thing I saw pulling off the main road towards the town? A heavily camouflaged SUV which followed me to the factory where it disappeared... :thumbsdow

I had a mooch around the museum, sat at a nearby cafe drinking coffee and watching some fellow tourists having fun with the various 'test drive' places, then had lunch at the recently revitalised Cavallino to see what Massimo Bottura has done with the place. It's largely the same as it was structurally but quite a bit smarter inside, and as you'd expect the food is much fancier than it was. Based on previous experiences of both I'd have always told a visitor asking for tips to eat at the Montana, over the Cavallino, but the lunch yesterday was really good. Eat at both in future!

Side comments:
1) I always forget how little there is to do in Maranello without taking up residence in a bar
2) petrol is almost 2EUR/litre at the Eni by the factory :shocked:
3) the area around the factory has changed so much since the infamous forum factory tour in 2005(?); even since I was last there a couple of years ago there seems to have been more expansion of the factory and museum.

I find Modena a better place to visit nowadays and the Enzo Ferrari Museum there is much more serious and higher quality than the factory offering IMO

Agreed, and to be expected as Maranello is but a small industrial town. Plenty of good eating, drinking and culture to be had in Modena. Bologna even moreso if one is looking for a base for a few days in the area, but obviously not much Ferrari stuff there.

December launch with 2023 production planned which means UK cars 2024 I guess - presumably prices upwards of £ 250 000