What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

The Supercar Event 7th & 8th July 2018 - Rockingham Motor Speedway

Me and Mrs M are volunteering so please say hi if you see us.

Bald bloke arriving in a green camper.....I think we are in the pit-lane team.

Me and Mrs M are volunteering so please say hi if you see us.

Bald bloke arriving in a green camper.....I think we are in the pit-lane team.

A few years ago, there was a pretty young girl showing people into our cars. This event has gone downhill. :tongue3:

So - preferential parking CAN be available if enough of you want it (not just one or two) and you are prepared to commit to being there pretty much all day. But it needs firm commitment in next couple of days if you want to arrange it.

Otherwise it's parking with the general public.

So sign up here asap if you are interested.
So do we park with the general public?

Who from here is driving and on what day? Care to share any your preparation stories?

I'm driving on the Sunday only.

I've just got my car back from Aldous Voice and in addition to a service, both engine mounts have been changed for challenge versions, rear brakes rebuilt with stainless pistons and new pads at the rear. They're CCM brakes and fronts were rebuilt in 2016 so should be good for another few years before a rebuild.

Worth noting that on one of my rear pads, the brass studs were just starting to become visible, so it was essential the pads were changed. Fortunately mine were not the same height as the pad material so there was no contact with the disc.

Aldous pointed out a much worse example in this recent post.. https://aldousvoice.com/2018/06/14/ferrari-ccm-brake-pads/

We also changed the final 3 ball joints (all uppers) which we hadn't previously renewed.

At some point I'll get a running report posted up!

both engine mounts have been changed for challenge versions

How do you find them for NVH? I had them in my car a couple of years back ad I’m not sure if I should swap them out for standard. They’ve settled down a fair amount but I had quite a bit of cabin buzz when first installed.

Who from here is driving and on what day? Care to share any your preparation stories?

I'm driving on the Sunday only.

I've just got my car back from Aldous Voice and in addition to a service, both engine mounts have been changed for challenge versions, rear brakes rebuilt with stainless pistons and new pads at the rear. They're CCM brakes and fronts were rebuilt in 2016 so should be good for another few years before a rebuild.

Worth noting that on one of my rear pads, the brass studs were just starting to become visible, so it was essential the pads were changed. Fortunately mine were not the same height as the pad material so there was no contact with the disc.

Aldous pointed out a much worse example in this recent post.. https://aldousvoice.com/2018/06/14/ferrari-ccm-brake-pads/

We also changed the final 3 ball joints (all uppers) which we hadn't previously renewed.

At some point I'll get a running report posted up!

Definitely doing the Saturday, might be doing the Sunday (booked the hotel Friday and Saturday night) - Ferrari 360 Modena.

My preparation mostly means washing the car. The one thing I did learn the first year though is that blasting around a track all day does cause my front wheel bolts to work slightly loose. So I always take a wheel nut spanner with me and tighten the wheels at lunchtime and the end of the day.

Obviously check oil etc but mine never drops.

Definitely doing the Saturday, might be doing the Sunday (booked the hotel Friday and Saturday night) - Ferrari 360 Modena.

My preparation mostly means washing the car. The one thing I did learn the first year though is that blasting around a track all day does cause my front wheel bolts to work slightly loose. So I always take a wheel nut spanner with me and tighten the wheels at lunchtime and the end of the day.

Obviously check oil etc but mine never drops.

If you are taking members of the public for rides, I would highly recommend the following before the event:

• Have your wheel nuts torqued to the correct torque setting.
  • Check tyre condition, age and pressures.
  • Have the brake condition visually checked.

How do you find them for NVH? I had them in my car a couple of years back ad I’m not sure if I should swap them out for standard. They’ve settled down a fair amount but I had quite a bit of cabin buzz when first installed.
I find them absolutely fine. I was warned there may be increased vibration but if anything the NVH is actually less than the standard, aged mounts.

Wouldn't hesitate to recommend them over the standard part.

I'm now definitely doing both days. I wasn't sure I wanted to do the Sunday - however, my g/f is now coming with me and will be one of the volunteers, and apparently they are really short of volunteers on the Sunday. Since I was definitely doing the Saturday anyway, we may as well do both.
I've bought an open faced helmet - which doesn't really fit in the car any better than my old full face Arai, but at least obscures my vision a bit less and should be a tad cooler.

Cleaned the car last night and put a coat of wax on - may put another one on tonight, and then it's tucked up in the garage until the 6th. Planning to check the mechanicals tonight as well - oil / water / tyre pressures / wheel bolts. Checked the tread on the tyres last night, and although there is plenty left I suspect I'll need a new set soon after spending two days at Rockingham.

I'm looking forward to it - it looks like a much more interesting track than Dunsfold, and is quite a lot longer. Think it will be a lot of fun for the passengers.

Idle question in case anybody knows :

Got the final instructions last night, and one thing is a bit odd : Why do we have to wear long sleeved shirts?

Idle question in case anybody knows :

Got the final instructions last night, and one thing is a bit odd : Why do we have to wear long sleeved shirts?

generally a requirement in the absence of a race suit, on UK tracks, on non race days, I imagine its an insurance requirement for the circuit and to reduce injury in the event of glass flying

I understand there may be some leniency so come prepared for both.

That would be good....

Brands had the same rule when I went last month, but didn't enforce it due to the temps.

I'm travelling up to Rockingham on the Sunday morning from London (SE)... if anyone wants to meet en-route, shout and we'll try to arrange something. :thumbsup:

We got back earlier from a fantastic weekend.....
We were in the pit lane team unloading passengers as they came back in and had a blast (if a little sun burned). I think Mrs M enjoyed it as much as I did.
A very well organised event and good to meet some of the regulars and put names to a few more faces.

We even managed a few passenger rides (cheers Bruce, Dave and Ed) and the Rockingham track looks excellent. Dave even showed me how to drive a 360 around :thumbsup:

Ralph/Barry, I missed you both but I’m sure I remember seeing your cars.

We will definitely be back again and hopefully next year......I might even drive now I know what it’s all about.

It was a fabulous weekend - good to meet you Mike - and Mrs. Mike. I expect to see your 360 on the track next year, even if it's Mrs Mike driving it. :tongue3:

Rockingham is definitely a more interesting track than Dunsfold - although I definitely wasn't getting the in-field bit right. Maybe I need a track day for practice before next year!

Really enjoyed it, but it was quiet this year, mostly due to football and F1 I guess. Still - I think it's the start of many successful years there. :)