What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

1983 308 GTBi Restoration

mbwoy84

Hi guys!

I'm picking up my new restoration project tomorrow, which is a 1983 308 GTBi which is currently in many, many pieces!

I will be updating this thread as I go, but just thought I'd get it started now before I forget!

We need to see the big pile of bits before you start , and yes it will be great to see a good resto thread :grin:

Yes, that’s the car!

I collected it today, along with crates and crates full of parts.

I’ve still got to pick up the engine and gearbox from elsewhere.

I’m posting from my phone at the moment, but I have taken photos from today.

The history file is very impressive. When I say file, it’s a 35 litre container full!

Every new part that the previous owner has bought for or fitted to the car has been highlighted on both the list and exploded diagram on a copy of the corresponding page of the original Ferrari Parts catalogue and cross-referenced to the purchase invoice. It’s the most obsessively/impressively documented history I’ve ever seen, which is fantastic.

Also, the photographic documents show all parts being removed and packed away, so everything should be easy to find. This weekend will be spent opening crates in my garage at home and starting to refurbish the smaller components first as I wasn’t planning to make a start on the body until after Christmas, but that said with 10 minutes of getting the car back I had the passengers door off and started work on getting it straight and smooth as it was annoying me looking at it!

The shell just has thin coat of epoxy primer over it at the moment, which I think was sprayed on by the soda blasters that had the shell. As it happens, after checking the history file it is a blasting company only down the road from me and I know them quite well. There’s plenty of work left to be done to the body, but it’s fairly straight, the welding work is pretty good. There’s just one area that I’d like to give a little further attention to being Uber-picky and the panel gaps are excellent, which is always a good start, so I’m not starting totally from scratch.

I’m pleased so far and it should be a good project.

Yes good luck with it. Im in the process of reassembling my 308 I got back from the body shop after 18 months. I thought I fully documented by photographs with 'parts bins' but I've spent a few hours scratching my head getting her back together. Let me know if you need any pointers.

DSC09357.jpg

Good luck with this and sorting out all the bits. I have done similar to a few cars and I have a theory that striping a car down to the last but and bolts fills 4 times the floor space of the original car. Hope your other half is happy to have random bits of Ferrari in the house !! :laugh:

Yes, that’s the car!

I collected it today, along with crates and crates full of parts.

I’ve still got to pick up the engine and gearbox from elsewhere.

I’m posting from my phone at the moment, but I have taken photos from today.

The history file is very impressive. When I say file, it’s a 35 litre container full!

Every new part that the previous owner has bought for or fitted to the car has been highlighted on both the list and exploded diagram on a copy of the corresponding page of the original Ferrari Parts catalogue and cross-referenced to the purchase invoice. It’s the most obsessively/impressively documented history I’ve ever seen, which is fantastic.

Also, the photographic documents show all parts being removed and packed away, so everything should be easy to find. This weekend will be spent opening crates in my garage at home and starting to refurbish the smaller components first as I wasn’t planning to make a start on the body until after Christmas, but that said with 10 minutes of getting the car back I had the passengers door off and started work on getting it straight and smooth as it was annoying me looking at it!

The shell just has thin coat of epoxy primer over it at the moment, which I think was sprayed on by the soda blasters that had the shell. As it happens, after checking the history file it is a blasting company only down the road from me and I know them quite well. There’s plenty of work left to be done to the body, but it’s fairly straight, the welding work is pretty good. There’s just one area that I’d like to give a little further attention to being Uber-picky and the panel gaps are excellent, which is always a good start, so I’m not starting totally from scratch.

I’m pleased so far and it should be a good project.

Aha! So now I can make the link as to how you saw my car at the auction. Yes, this is my best mates car, and I can confirm the history file is both exacting, detailed and 100% accurate. He is an absolute stickler for details. We had to get this car from his old house before the ex-wife got to it, along with the roller that hadn't moved in god knows how many years. was an interesting day to say the least.
If you need any clarification on anything let me know and I can ask the question for you:thumbsup:
He has just finished an absolutely superb restoration on his 355, and its in fantastic condition. That is going up for sale next spring and will be a fantastic buy for someone, as literally nothing was left untouched, a total rebuild from scratch and its stunning:dude:

Could any of you kind people with 308s please post a close-up photo of the front end, particularly showing where the front wing meets the front end panel?

Just sorting the bodywork out and there's something there that I'm not sure about.

Many Thanks!

That's great, thanks!

Could you just get another one of the exact same area, but head on from the floor so to speak? About in line with the front indicator height-wise.

Thanks again.

Mike

OK, so I wasn't going to be touching the body yet, but a few things were annoying me to look at, so started doing a little bit here and a little bit there, which escalated into many, many hours of bodywork fettling, resulting in what just happened now.....

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

Not the best photos as yet, as it's a bit cramped in the prep/primer bay as it was wheeled in there semi-whimsically while I still had panels for something else I'm building.

In short, it has had quite a heavy coat of primer, which helps show some of the areas which still require work. As we've been working semi-blind so to speak as we didn't know what had been done before and digging backwards as far as I really could, it's actually not too bad. There are a few areas which still need a little work and we've found one small dent, which was not visible previously, but overall I'm pleased. The back panel hasn't been touched as yet as the rotisserie has only just been removed this afternoon, so it still requires a lot of work prior to its first coat of primer and it's actually the worst panel on the car and will take some serious repair work.

The bonnet was also quite badly distorted from the soda blasting, which is partially surprising given how gentle soda is compared to other types of blast media, but it can still happen. It is, however, nearly there now.

We're going to leave the primer for probably around 2 weeks before touching it again now, then it will be blocked, re-work anything that requires it, followed by a very thin final coat of the same to flat. The car will then be painted all over in gloss black as a "test" coat so to speak as gloss black will show up the tiniest of imperfections, then that will all be flatted back prior to being treated to its final colour. I want it to be painted in Glasurit paint as that is what it would have been painted in from the factory. Albeit, we will be using a more modern and improved basecoat and lacquer. It's probably still the most expensive paint on the market and it's a bit of a pig to work with compared to some other paint brands available nowadays, but I'd rather stick with the brand that Ferrari originally used, plus the results should be stunning and the warranty on their product is streets ahead of anything else on the market.

Also, the underside will be treated with a hot zinc gun and Upol Raptor, which is probably the best protection available against corrosion and general road damage currently.

Hope to update again soon and I will be sorting through the 19 crates of parts that currently reside in my garage at home on Tuesday evening. I've made a start, but want a couple of other people around to assist me so as nothing gets mislaid or mixed up.

Last edited:
Thank you, yes that’s perfect!

Whoever had been working on the body before had left some odd lines there, which I was sure shouldn’t be there, but wanted some clarification.