What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

308 respray

sweeni

I bought my 308 GTS QV from Furlongers in mid 2015 2015. When first view the car was in the condition in which they had received it and it was explained to me that areas of the car required attention and the asking price included all work to rectify this. A deal was struck and the attached phots are those taken by Furlongers of the work undertaken.........

Attachments

• 88e3b050d3c4a43327acd4b522cbfbee.jpg
    88e3b050d3c4a43327acd4b522cbfbee.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 698
  • b334034dd46df72266398f1e641f20a8.jpg
    b334034dd46df72266398f1e641f20a8.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 717
  • cbfefff60324fa885622bbb5fc1a84aa.jpg
    cbfefff60324fa885622bbb5fc1a84aa.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 690
  • eb4aaa941df634c6bce572125b03707f.jpg
    eb4aaa941df634c6bce572125b03707f.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 699
  • 61d17c539d4e71b5953d9c8e853ae17f.jpg
    61d17c539d4e71b5953d9c8e853ae17f.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 693
These photos were taken by me just 9 months later.

Attachments

• IMG_1586.jpg
    IMG_1586.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 640
  • IMG_1573.jpg
    IMG_1573.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 649
  • IMG_1589.jpg
    IMG_1589.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 639
  • IMG_1570.jpg
    IMG_1570.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 635
  • IMG_1552.jpg
    IMG_1552.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 648
  • IMG_1551.jpg
    IMG_1551.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 654
  • IMG_1362.jpg
    IMG_1362.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 643
  • IMG_1361.jpg
    IMG_1361.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 654
And these just yesterday prior to the car being taken in for a respray

Attachments

• IMG_0435 (1).jpg
    IMG_0435 (1).jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 636
  • IMG_0437 (1).jpg
    IMG_0437 (1).jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 637
  • IMG_0439 (1).jpg
    IMG_0439 (1).jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 626
  • IMG_0440 (1).jpg
    IMG_0440 (1).jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 633
  • IMG_0444 (1).jpg
    IMG_0444 (1).jpg
    24 KB · Views: 633
  • IMG_0449 (1).jpg
    IMG_0449 (1).jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 661
So yesterday the car was taken into Classic car Lab near Harrogate for a full bare metal bobbie, lets hope this make a better fist of it.
I will keep you up to speed but they advise its going to be a long job.

Attachments

• IMG_2764 (1).jpg
    IMG_2764 (1).jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 640
That does not reflect well at all on Furlongers! I'd be having a word and looking for a decent contribution. Probably get you no where...but! (Not sure why there is grp in those pictures, or masking tap lines if she had a full respray?)

Mine goes in end of next week to have some paint corrections and a dent I put in it sorted. I'm putting it into a local shop that has just setup, Granstand coachworks. They were just completing a bare metal on a 355 (not sure if its anybodys on this forum?) which looked really nice; and they had a few other interesting cars, old Aston / Maserati in with various bits of work being done.

I hope you get a good result and get some miles under her this summer!

A

Last edited:
That does not reflect well at all on Furlongers! I'd be having a word and looking for a decent contribution. Probably get you no where...but! (Not sure why there is grp in those pictures, or masking tap lines if she had a full respray?)

I hope you get a good result and get some miles under her this summer!

A

If I were to put on here the full story of my issues with Furlongers, as I have also had to spend a fortune on the engine as well as the body issues, I would get typewriters cramp and would possibly be removed by the Mods on the basis of getting involved with legal issues. Lets just say I wouldn't let them service my Lawn Mower or paint an Airfix car.
Anyone who would like me to give them a more in-depth explanation send me a PM.

Thanks for the last comment, I will be putting updates on here as they happen.

I have just noticed that there are some typos in my posts above (Spellchecker, grrr) but unable to see how to edit them?
Could someone advise how please, cheers.

It's disappointing the number of cowboys and scammers around, including what on the face of it are long established and reputable companies.

I got done on my PPI, not to the same extant, but numbers that I certainly am not going to be telling the missus anytime soon, if ever 😬. In a similar vane whilst I'd love to stick it to them, sometimes it's just easier and ultimately cheaper to take it on the chin and move on. Frustratingly I also got done on a survey for my boat!!! But that doesn't stop me now thoroughly enjoying her.

Classic Car Lab have asked me to go have a look at the car tomorrow to discuss how far I would like to go........
Gulp!!

You can tell from your pics that there is going to be some nasties in there. Seems like a fair bit of filler and or glass fibre has been used to cover up some areas. The sills especially are often found to have had this treatment and it looks that way for you in places. Hope the news isn't to bad.

If I were to put on here the full story of my issues with Furlongers, as I have also had to spend a fortune on the engine as well as the body issues, I would get typewriters cramp and would possibly be removed by the Mods on the basis of getting involved with legal issues. Lets just say I wouldn't let them service my Lawn Mower or paint an Airfix car.
Anyone who would like me to give them a more in-depth explanation send me a PM.

Thanks for the last comment, I will be putting updates on here as they happen.

I really feel your pain, i do. Been there and got the whole wardrobe of T-shirts to prove it.

I really hope you get the job you deserve, please keep us posted

This is what happens when dealers have a nearly 100% SOR business model (though I don't know if that was the case here).

If they put their own money into stock I'm sure they would do a lot of due diligence in buying and preparation.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

This is what happens when dealers have a nearly 100% SOR business model (though I don't know if that was the case here).

If they put their own money into stock I'm sure they would do a lot of due diligence in buying and preparation.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I think Furlongers were indeed selling SOR (confess Im not certain), but they had serviced it for years so will, or at least should, have been very well aware of any issues. The bodywork issues they were aware of and told me about and it is entirely their fault that the work was shoddily carried out, clearly done just enough to make it look good on the forecourt to sell with no consideration to longevity. :mad:

I think Furlongers were indeed selling SOR (confess Im not certain), but they had serviced it for years so will, or at least should, have been very well aware of any issues. The bodywork issues they were aware of and told me about and it is entirely their fault that the work was shoddily carried out, clearly done just enough to make it look good on the forecourt to sell with no consideration to longevity. :mad:

I remember when I was buying a 308 the huge amount of variation in 'restored' cars. One I saw had apparently had a lot of work done the year before but getting under the car and putting a torch into the wheelarches etc revealed it was all superficial. The car I eventually bought had been restored some 10 years prior but other than a small surface bubble it was solid underneath and clearly had been stripped back and done properly.

One advantage of booming price bubbles is that generally there are some well restored cars around when things settle down again (the 308 I bought had far more money spent on the restoration alone than I eventually bought the car for). If we think back 15 years there were tons of rustbuckets around and a rust-free 308 or Dino was the exception to most.

It will be a painful wait but I'm sure you'll have a real beauty at the end of it. I waited two years for a watch once but it was worth the wait..:thumbsup: