What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

348 Foldable roofs now available

Nosevi

Administrator
Staff member
Right, this is going to start with a bit of a story.

A while ago I bought a 348 foldable roof from another owner. It fit the bill for what I wanted - an emergency top so I could go out with no roof on when I didn't think it would rain but have an option if I had got it wrong. It folded up and fit on the parcel shelf so I could have my seat all the way back, which at my height made driving the car with the roof off far more pleasant. It also meant my colour coded targa didn't get scratched or marked from being behind the seats. It was pretty old having supposedly been made by Ferrari at the tail end of the 348 production run.

Fast forward a year or so and I was looking for a good condition original black targa. I like my car bling'd up but wanted to be able to return it to original if the mood took me. Jeff wanted to get hold of a foldable soft top but had a black targa in good nick. Although I quite wanted the black targa I didn't want to loose the foldable option.

Then, again pretty much out of the blue, Matt dropped me a line saying he had seen something about foldable roofs on a site from over on the continent, sadly the site wouldn't load any more but he was sure it had had something about foldable 348 roofs on it. I spent the next week intermittently trying to get the site to load then all of a sudden one day it loaded up. I got contact details off the site before it stopped working again. No one answered the email or phone so I tried the fax. Eventually I got in touch with a chap called Henk who told me the following story:

Henk is a Ferrari restorer over on the continent, his site backs this up. Both he and a friend also deal in Ferrari parts and memorabilia and on a trip to the factory where they picked up some F1 tool cars (think he said they were called) they came across 5 sealed boxes. They asked what was in them and got a shrug in return so they asked for them to be opened. Inside were 5 foldable roofs marked for use on the Ferrari 348 TS. Now at this point I asked Henk to send me a photo of one of the roofs, I was a tad sceptical. He did and it was absolutely identical to the roof I already owned, and I do mean identical right down to the same catches and same font on the silver speed restriction label - it was exactly the same roof only brand new.

I spoke to Jeff and told him my old foldable roof may be available as a swap for his original black targa, told him the outline of the story, and we swapped. In the meantime I agreed to buy one of the new roofs from Henk for myself as well as 'reserving' the other 4. Another 348 TS owner got in touch with me who had an inkling about what was going on so I upped my initial order to 2 roofs, reserving the other 3. Those 2 roofs arrived this morning.

IMG_2880.JPG
IMG_2882.JPG
IMG_2883.JPG
IMG_2885.JPG
IMG_2886.JPG

The main difference between the new roofs and my old one is the fit, it is perfect on the one I opened for myself. There are no gaps above the window - the roof overlaps the windows all the way to the rear and just 'flicks' the roof edge as you close the door, the parts that should follow the contour of the arch are perfect and the front bits that go in the clamping areas on the 348 fit perfectly:

IMG_2894.JPG
IMG_2895.JPG
IMG_2896.JPG
IMG_2898.JPG
IMG_2900.JPG

Now, can I confirm the above story and say definitively that these are OEM roofs? No, I can only pass on what I have been told - it's all 2nd hand. I can say that these roofs are absolutely identical to the other European foldable roofs out there that claim to be OEM and I do mean absolutely identical not a good copy - if they aren't OEM then none of them are. As far as I'm concerned I don't care a great deal, the one I've got is perfect.

Right there are 3 left, they each cost about £1665 (I say about because you pay in Euros). I'm not interested in making a penny out of this, I'm just passing on the opportunity to get hold of one to other members of the Brotherhood here on CS. If anyone is interested, the first 3 PMs to hit my inbox get one. Unlike my old one (which I'm sure Jeff will mod to rectify this) the one I received really could be used as a total replacement for a hard targa top. Over to you all.

IMG_2892.JPG

Pete

Last edited:
Nice find - must admit I was highly dubious as to whether youd actually receive anything so good result! :)

I'm going to enquire how much mine is to get recovered as its obviously "too small" exposing the window gaps - at least I have a reference point now as to what it should look like :)

Nice find - must admit I was highly dubious as to whether youd actually receive anything so good result! :)

I'm going to enquire how much mine is to get recovered as its obviously "too small" exposing the window gaps - at least I have a reference point now as to what it should look like :)

You're not the only one who had doubts :)

Regarding the reference, obviously not had them side by side but the main difference appears to be that the edge over the window appears to curve more downwards towards the rear. The curvature of the solid piece at the rear that fits over the rear arch is also more flush which will move the edge down a little over the windows as well.

Oh, one other top tip. Mine is so tight that I thought it would benefit from being opened out and left on the car for a few days. As my car is currently in a dusty garage I obviously put my car cover over it - you know, a nice soft one with a fluffy inside. Next thread will be a step by step of how to get red fluff off the whole surface of your soft top. Doh! Doubt it'd happen once it's been water proofed but not done that yet.

Wont it be the same material on a cover for at TS as a Spyder and hence made of material that doesnt shed onto mohair-y type stuff used on either a Spyder cover or your foldy cover ?
Just sayin...

Wont it be the same material on a cover for at TS as a Spyder and hence made of material that doesnt shed onto mohair-y type stuff used on either a Spyder cover or your foldy cover ?
Just sayin...

Cover is just a soft cover bought recently, not a genuine Ferrari cover. Feel free to buy a genuine one. After you've read the price and stopped laughing, get back to me :)

Cover is just a soft cover bought recently, not a genuine Ferrari cover. Feel free to buy a genuine one. After you've read the price and stopped laughing, get back to me :)

Mine's from Eurospares via a very nice man in Wales who listed it as a carpet on a well known auction site... I did indeed laugh at the original price but smiled at the final one.:grin:

Mine's from Eurospares via a very nice man in Wales who listed it as a carpet on a well known auction site... I did indeed laugh at the original price but smiled at the final one.:grin:

I saw one on Eurospares a while back but wasn't an original Ferrari one, just one with a Ferrari emblem on so I passed and got a different type, probably a different one though. The fluffy one I have is fine and will probably be fine even for a soft top once it's been used a bit (in fact bet it will, the guy that sells them has a 360 Spider), but new the soft top picks up a bit of lint, it has to be said. Fairly academic mind you, I doubt I'll store my car like this anyway :)

Its the only down side to gts ferraris... putting the targa behind the seats and restricting driver comfort... shame the design team could not have placed it in the boot area...

There's a mod I saw someone do to a 348 roof. Basically it was cut in half down the centreline of the car with two poles on one side, two holes on the other, the poles slid into the holes and the two halves locked together. The two halves fit in the front boot. I quite like the foldable solution though, works well. Before getting my new one I spoke to a soft top place about getting one made but because it cane off the car it would need to be officially speed tested etc and the cost wasn't worth pursuing.

Roof

Right, this is going to start with a bit of a story.

A while ago I bought a 348 foldable roof from another owner. It fit the bill for what I wanted - an emergency top so I could go out with no roof on when I didn't think it would rain but have an option if I had got it wrong. It folded up and fit on the parcel shelf so I could have my seat all the way back, which at my height made driving the car with the roof off far more pleasant. It also meant my colour coded targa didn't get scratched or marked from being behind the seats. It was pretty old having supposedly been made by Ferrari at the tail end of the 348 production run.

Fast forward a year or so and I was looking for a good condition original black targa. I like my car bling'd up but wanted to be able to return it to original if the mood took me. Jeff wanted to get hold of a foldable soft top but had a black targa in good nick. Although I quite wanted the black targa I didn't want to loose the foldable option.

Then, again pretty much out of the blue, Matt dropped me a line saying he had seen something about foldable roofs on a site from over on the continent, sadly the site wouldn't load any more but he was sure it had had something about foldable 348 roofs on it. I spent the next week intermittently trying to get the site to load then all of a sudden one day it loaded up. I got contact details off the site before it stopped working again. No one answered the email or phone so I tried the fax. Eventually I got in touch with a chap called Henk who told me the following story:

Henk is a Ferrari restorer over on the continent, his site backs this up. Both he and a friend also deal in Ferrari parts and memorabilia and on a trip to the factory where they picked up some F1 tool cars (think he said they were called) they came across 5 sealed boxes. They asked what was in them and got a shrug in return so they asked for them to be opened. Inside were 5 foldable roofs marked for use on the Ferrari 348 TS. Now at this point I asked Henk to send me a photo of one of the roofs, I was a tad sceptical. He did and it was absolutely identical to the roof I already owned, and I do mean identical right down to the same catches and same font on the silver speed restriction label - it was exactly the same roof only brand new.

I spoke to Jeff and told him my old foldable roof may be available as a swap for his original black targa, told him the outline of the story, and we swapped. In the meantime I agreed to buy one of the new roofs from Henk for myself as well as 'reserving' the other 4. Another 348 TS owner got in touch with me who had an inkling about what was going on so I upped my initial order to 2 roofs, reserving the other 3. Those 2 roofs arrived this morning.

View attachment 128744
View attachment 128740
View attachment 128741
View attachment 128742
View attachment 128739

The main difference between the new roofs and my old one is the fit, it is perfect on the one I opened for myself. There are no gaps above the window - the roof overlaps the windows all the way to the rear and just 'flicks' the roof edge as you close the door, the parts that should follow the contour of the arch are perfect and the front bits that go in the clamping areas on the 348 fit perfectly:

View attachment 128734
View attachment 128735
View attachment 128736
View attachment 128737
View attachment 128738

Now, can I confirm the above story and say definitively that these are OEM roofs? No, I can only pass on what I have been told - it's all 2nd hand. I can say that these roofs are absolutely identical to the other European foldable roofs out there that claim to be OEM and I do mean absolutely identical not a good copy - if they aren't OEM then none of them are. As far as I'm concerned I don't care a great deal, the one I've got is perfect.

Right there are 3 left, they each cost about £1665 (I say about because you pay in Euros). I'm not interested in making a penny out of this, I'm just passing on the opportunity to get hold of one to other members of the Brotherhood here on CS. If anyone is interested, the first 3 PMs to hit my inbox get one. Unlike my old one (which I'm sure Jeff will mod to rectify this) the one I received really could be used as a total replacement for a hard targa top. Over to you all.

View attachment 128743

Pete
Please can you tell me if these roofs are still available
Will they fit a 355 gts
Is there a part number
Thanks nick , tel no 07770870156

Well that's it, last of the 5 foldable roofs has gone. Not exactly like hot cakes but hope the other 4 owners gain as much from theirs as I do from mine. They are great bits of kit if you don't want to (or like me can't really) store your targa panel behind the seats. For me it effectively turned my car from a TB most of the time (never risked going out without the targa for more than a quick blast) to the TS I really wanted.

Last roof has gone to a 355 GTS owner - no reason why it won't work fine but if it doesn't I'll post up that one of the roofs is available again.

Pete

Very quick update, the last couple of these didn't in fact go as a couple of people dropped out and Jeff tells me that the last couple of these roofs were available through MCP earlier this year. The part number is 63380800 and is showing as in limited stock if you plug it into their search here https://www.ferrariparts.co.uk/PagesExternal/Search.aspx

Looking on this site it's definitely the same roof as I have, even the printed card that comes with it is spot on https://www.ferrariparts.co.uk/PagesExternal/Search.aspx

So anyway, if any of the new owners fancy a foldable soft top that fits on the parcel shelf so they can leave home without their targa crammed behind the seats there's a chance they can grab one from MCP. Not checked if they still have them but if you want one you could give them a shout.

hi im new here and i'm looking to buy a foldable roof like one of these , anyone who know's where i will find one ?
Thanks,
Dominique..