What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

348 interior mirror triangle trims?????

Hey Guys and Gals, My interior triangle mirror trims (black plastic) on the doors have cracked and snapped into about 3 bits, unfortunately these are now no longer available from Maranello so need to decide what to do, anyone repaired them before once they are in so many pieces, if so how did it go? Or anyone brought the carbon ones - any suggestions welcome.

I will be off to Halfords after work!!! Just worried as mine are actually in 3 bits so might be harder to get a great finish, worth a go though. Need to refurbish my Sill covers too as they are starting to rust again, and the only right 348 carbon ones you can get are £650 so worth getting my OEM ones rubbed down and refinished methinks!! Any tips on that? Your thred looks epic and I will be reading through as I work today!!! :wink3:

If its in a few bits I would be tempted to glue a thinish piece of plastic strip behind te joint to strengthen it. Just remember when putting it back not to overtighten the screws as in my case that's what started the crack :-(

If its in a few bits I would be tempted to glue a thinish piece of plastic strip behind te joint to strengthen it. Just remember when putting it back not to overtighten the screws as in my case that's what started the crack :-(

Will give that a go - now the exterior of my car is mint I need to get the interior up to scratch as you have done!

I will - I need to take pics of the whole car now its back from Bodytechnics after a full respray - looks stunning, so will do lots of pics of all the work from now on!! :)

Will look forward to it mate. Are you sprucing the interior up at all or going for the 'original' look?

Will look forward to it mate. Are you sprucing the interior up at all or going for the 'original' look?

Im torn as I have the hills pedals/gear knob etc but not keen on the other metal bits you can get, also not 100% on Carbon fibre bits either - other than my front splitter :wink3:

Thinking keep most of it original just do the tasteful updates and tidy everything up as i want it to be the best out there - need to find someone good with seats as my passenger one is perfect but the drivers seat base has the usual saggy look and the bolster edge looks a little worn now - so any help with that welcome?

Will post some pics this week of the work so far :grin:

Im torn as I have the hills pedals/gear knob etc but not keen on the other metal bits you can get, also not 100% on Carbon fibre bits either - other than my front splitter :wink3:

Thinking keep most of it original just do the tasteful updates and tidy everything up as i want it to be the best out there - need to find someone good with seats as my passenger one is perfect but the drivers seat base has the usual saggy look and the bolster edge looks a little worn now - so any help with that welcome?

Will post some pics this week of the work so far :grin:

Got to agree mate. I've got the drilled pedals etc but thought the instrument surrounds were a bit much. I didn't go for the drilled metal passenger foot rest either. Went for a few small bits of bling like the door locks (sounds daft but made a difference) but really didn't like the Carbon fibre look. The only major thing I did was to change the steering wheel but to be honest it feels so much better through the bends that I wouldn't change back. Personally I like the look. Floor mats I went for are a little different from the original but again I prefer them, had the option of big ponies, Ferrari or even '348' embroidered in them but to me that was just a little too much. Seat wise I've had mine patched (best way to describe it) and recoloured and the general reaction I still get is that people think they're new (Mat from D2Detail did a great job). That said they are tough to keep clean, although I have a bottle of the colouring he used so they're always perfect, so soon, probably this winter, I'm going for a complete interior retrim. There's a place here locally that does excellent work and has done classic Bentleys etc. Price is pretty good too.

I take it you've seen pics of my interior though mate?

Got to agree mate. I've got the drilled pedals etc but thought the instrument surrounds were a bit much. I didn't go for the drilled metal passenger foot rest either. Went for a few small bits of bling like the door locks (sounds daft but made a difference) but really didn't like the Carbon fibre look. The only major thing I did was to change the steering wheel but to be honest it feels so much better through the bends that I wouldn't change back. Personally I like the look. Floor mats I went for are a little different from the original but again I prefer them, had the option of big ponies, Ferrari or even '348' embroidered in them but to me that was just a little too much. Seat wise I've had mine patched (best way to describe it) and recoloured and the general reaction I still get is that people think they're new (Mat from D2Detail did a great job). That said they are tough to keep clean, although I have a bottle of the colouring he used so they're always perfect, so soon, probably this winter, I'm going for a complete interior retrim. There's a place here locally that does excellent work and has done classic Bentleys etc. Price is pretty good too.

I take it you've seen pics of my interior though mate?

Yes your looks good inside - Im thinking of getting my seats done by someone instead of having a go at it myself, some people on here have done great things but I haven't got the time and also the sagging is beyond my expertise so might as well get the whole lot done at once, want someone that can rub them down and then recolour but also take the sagging out of the base - might see who this Mat is from D2detail :) I agree about the instruments and the passenger foot rest - bit too much for my taste. I want to retrim the door V pieces (If you know the bits I mean) - the black is looking a little marked and there is a couple of nicks out of the passenger side and Im very fussy and like things to be perfect - are they leather do you know or just vinyl?

Not really sure which pieces you mean, mate. Are you talking the black upside down triangular bit just under the window, or the colour coded (crema in mine) sort of tick across the door. Either way I think the answer is leather. Will stand corrected but don't think there's vinyl anywhere on mine?

Not really sure which pieces you mean, mate. Are you talking the black upside down triangular bit just under the window, or the colour coded (crema in mine) sort of tick across the door. Either way I think the answer is leather. Will stand corrected but don't think there's vinyl anywhere on mine?

The trim piece shaped like a V where the handle and window swiches go - also has the grab handle bolted to it - was guessing it would be leather - either way I want mine retrimmed :)

The trim piece shaped like a V where the handle and window swiches go - also has the grab handle bolted to it - was guessing it would be leather - either way I want mine retrimmed :)

Mine has the odd small nick in too but nothing major. Although I haven't tried it yet I got a small leather 'touch up' pen to touch the bits up. Going to get a retrim done anyway so haven't bothered doing it.

Retrim wise, what are you looking at getting done as well as the door bits you've mentioned? For me it's just really the Crema bits that aren't perfect, incuding the seats. Not really sure if I'll get the black done as I'm really not sure if you'll be able to tell, it's in fairly good nick, and will cost a bit to get it all taken out of the car. Some bits of the black would possibly benefit, others you really won't be able to tell. Sort of makes it awkward to mix and match though.

As I said, I'm looking to use a local place here in Lincoln. The guy tends to do more modern interiors but has done some really nice jobs on some classic cars too. The leather he uses is from the same supplier that provides leather to Rolls and Bentley - he refuses to use anything of a lower grade - so it's not cheap but his work looks really good. Just really got to decide how far to go with it. Just the Crema, black that needs it as well and try to match it (not easy) or the whole hog :hmmm:

Mine has the odd small nick in too but nothing major. Although I haven't tried it yet I got a small leather 'touch up' pen to touch the bits up. Going to get a retrim done anyway so haven't bothered doing it.

Retrim wise, what are you looking at getting done as well as the door bits you've mentioned? For me it's just really the Crema bits that aren't perfect, incuding the seats. Not really sure if I'll get the black done as I'm really not sure if you'll be able to tell, it's in fairly good nick, and will cost a bit to get it all taken out of the car. Some bits of the black would possibly benefit, others you really won't be able to tell. Sort of makes it awkward to mix and match though.

As I said, I'm looking to use a local place here in Lincoln. The guy tends to do more modern interiors but has done some really nice jobs on some classic cars too. The leather he uses is from the same supplier that provides leather to Rolls and Bentley - he refuses to use anything of a lower grade - so it's not cheap but his work looks really good. Just really got to decide how far to go with it. Just the Crema, black that needs it as well and try to match it (not easy) or the whole hog :hmmm:

I want to do the 2 bits I mentioned then the drivers seat needs attention. My dash is great condition just needs some tiny crema touch ins, do you know where I can get some touch in for the crema, or will any place want a sample first? PM me if its awkward to recommend a site etc :shocked:

I want to do the 2 bits I mentioned then the drivers seat needs attention. My dash is great condition just needs some tiny crema touch ins, do you know where I can get some touch in for the crema, or will any place want a sample first? PM me if its awkward to recommend a site etc :shocked:

No probs because I think anywhere will want a sample if you're going to want it right. There was a chat a while ago about either tan or Crema in a Ferrari being a standard colour. I said I was unconvinced due to age, useage and, well Ferrari being Ferrari tbh, and for once was right. Someone bought a seat anyway and it wasn't really all that close to the original colour so didn't match the rest of the car. Not sure what happened in the end.....

Anyway, the leather colours do seem to vary so any touch up will have to be mixed unless you get lucky. Some places allow you to buy a colour or a mixture of colours to mix yourself like here which also sells the touchup pens.

http://www.lttsolutions.co.uk/index.php/auto/all-products/leather-easy-colour.html

You can just buy a colour but to get it spot on need to mix a few together and crema isn't the easiest by all accounts. Got to be honest, and hope no one minds, but when mine was done it was just the seats and a few other bits but not the lot. The end result was the second attempt as when it dried it was a very slight shade different to the rest. No one was 100% happy with the result so the lot was stripped and done again. The difficulty in mixing the exact same colour was the reason why I got a fairly big bottle of the colour that was used to touch up in future.

It was all going well until I went to screw them back on and they cracked again straight away - they are too broken and brittle - kinda thinking I need to buy new ones from somewhere or some carbon ones!!! Boooooooooo!!!!!:mad:

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 81
It was all going well until I went to screw them back on and they cracked again straight away - they are too broken and brittle - kinda thinking I need to buy new ones from somewhere or some carbon ones!!! Boooooooooo!!!!!:mad:

Obviously each to their own but the only thing about carbon is that it might, possibly, look a little out of place just getting those bits carbon and nothing else. Personally I'd go for original. Way I kind of thought about bits like this (new wheel centres, new side pinstripe, calipers painted, that sort of thing) is if you get the car looking nice with mew paint and sorted interior then the detail makes a difference. Only thing is that individually they don't cost a great deal but when they all add up it's another matter. Still not actually totalled the price of doing mine. Don't think I will, either.