What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

355 alarm pin code

robcarter

Hi

I have just had a conversation with a main Ferrari dealer about getting my pin code from Ferrari, he has been on to the factory they told him that fobs are coded to the car chassis number, therefore you cannot take any 355 UK fob and using your pin program your car to use it. as a result they will not release the pin until you order a set of fobs!
Does anyone know if this is correct - it seems very unlikely to me, sounds more like Ferrari trying to sell a set of fobs to me rather than give out the pin.

thanks
rob

As I understand it the pin is used to disengage the immobiliser

If you need a new fob you can either buy the set (see the recent thread on reprogramming with new fobs) or have Eric355 reprogram an old non-matching fob to one of your existing ones

Just to complement what Jos said:

The PIN code is useful for 2 things:
- to disarm the immobilizer without a remote. For this purpose, and independently of new remotes, Ferrari should give (sell!) you the PIN which was in the car when delivered. It is safe to know the PIN because it allows you to start your car wherever you are and whatever happened to your remote. If the PIN code has been changed between now and the delivery, Ferrari may not know or have kept track of this change. In that case, there is no way to recover the PIN which is in the ECU.

- to set the alarm ECU in the re-program mode to be ready to learn NEW remotes. Even if you have the current PIN and the associated red remote, you wont be able to program the ECU to accept another black remote. You can only do that with a NEW set of remotes (different red remote and different final PIN).

To summarize, if you want extra remotes :
- without the PIN your only choices are to buy a new alarm ECU and a new set of remotes OR to clone one of your remotes.
- with the PIN your only choices are to buy a new set of remotes and apply the programming procedure OR to clone one of your remotes.

thanks eric, i managed to get the pin codes (2 off them) from a dealer, as I have only one black fob plus a spare fob it appears cloning is the only alternative.
I rather hoped that I could of got the ecu to learn a new remote but obviously not :-(

rob

thanks eric, i managed to get the pin codes (2 off them) from a dealer, as I have only one black fob plus a spare fob it appears cloning is the only alternative.
I rather hoped that I could of got the ecu to learn a new remote but obviously not :-(

rob

Why 2 PIN codes, Rob?
Have you checked that at least one is OK by trying to enter it with the key and start the car?

Hi

I got the codes this afternoon, the dealer rang and said ferrari had two in their records; gave me both, I now have the dubious task of trying to enter both to find out which one is the correct one.

I was also told that if I buy a new set of fobs they will be supplied matched to the VIN of the car, personally I am doubtful about this, as these things will be built several 1000 at a time, and as there is no receiver, matching to the car would require disassembly, programming etc, it is more likely that the red fob transmits a special code that instructs the ecu to learn the next set of codes received I would think.

Will try the key pin method tonight and see what happens.

btw when you did your cloning did you find a lot of differences between the eeprom contents on different remotes, or just a few bytes, or is the circuit board different on red / black units?
rob

Hi

I got the codes this afternoon, the dealer rang and said ferrari had two in their records; gave me both, I now have the dubious task of trying to enter both to find out which one is the correct one.

I was also told that if I buy a new set of fobs they will be supplied matched to the VIN of the car, personally I am doubtful about this, as these things will be built several 1000 at a time, and as there is no receiver, matching to the car would require disassembly, programming etc, it is more likely that the red fob transmits a special code that instructs the ecu to learn the next set of codes received I would think.

Will try the key pin method tonight and see what happens.

btw when you did your cloning did you find a lot of differences between the eeprom contents on different remotes, or just a few bytes, or is the circuit board different on red / black units?
rob

You are right. The red fob transmits the new PIN code (which is also delivered to you) to the ECU and instructs it to learn the ID of the 2 blacks. There is no relationship with the VIN of the car.

The circuit boards are the same for red and black remotes. The difference is only in the EEPROM content. Two bits (0 or 1!) are used to discriminate a red from a black.
The contents are very different from one remote to another. The main reason is because most of the place in the EEPROM is used to store a rolling code area which is modified each time you press the remote. Some memory cells are identical in all the Ferrari remotes I had in hands (about 50!) ... but slightly different in Ford remote (thanks Jos). Finally, a few places are also different but I have not (yet !) found why and what they are used for ...