What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

355 toolkit securing belt

robcarter

Hi

My 355 has the leather toolkit but the belt to hold it in place was missing, or rather doesn't ever appear to have been fitted!
I have got one from eurospares, but there are no mounting holes in the carpet in the place where the drawings show it. Does anyone know (before i start drilling) if the holes (with nuts) are already there or did ferrari use self tappers to secure this belt?
thanks in advance
rob

Rob,

Since you got the belt from Eurospares you will know that the "complete belt for tool kit" is part number 63568100 and comprises two lengths of strap and two plates (item 16 on Tav. 112). I have just taken a picture of the strap and it should follow below. As you can see, the strap is fixed behind the plates to the "bulkhead" panel behind the carpet trim by means of pop rivets; the plates (which seem to be brass or at least brass-coloured and non-magnetic and match the colour of the buckle) stop the pop rivets crushing the leather strap. If you need to know the dimensions of the plates you just have to shout.

Ron

Attachments

• Tool kit belt 63568100.jpg
    Tool kit belt 63568100.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 120
The belt is held with blind rivets.

The holes in the carpet will likely be there but closed up.

Remove the trim between the upper and lower carpet which will enable you to get your hand down behind the carpet. You will see the bracket where the rivets attach.

Just a case of aligning the holes and fishing the rivet through before pulling the rivet.

You could of course always use self tappers.

You can see the top hat section in this picture, the old rivets are still hanging out of the two holes.

Attachments

• IMG_0782 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0782 (Medium).JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 118
Hi

Thanks for the excellent advice, the brass plates have 4mm holes so I think I'll try M4 nutserts as this will allow me to get the thing off easily should I need to, I presume the lower carpet lifts out fairly easily?
regards
rob

The "lower carpet" is, in fact, a sort of box (part number 64526900 I think for your model). You will have to remove all the trim above this "box" before you can lift it out - not difficult (held in place with side mouldings, screws etc) but the trim is backed by cardboard and it's easily cracked, particularly during the refitting - probably a lot of people know this because it has to be removed to get at bits like the A/C fill connectors....
IMO, if you anticipate having to remove the belt later, follow Terry's advice and just use self tapping screws (chrome-headed if you like); as he said, by simply removing the mould trim just above, you can poke your hand down there to guide the self tappers into the holes already made for the original fitment of the blind rivets. This would avoid a lot of hassle with lots of bits of trim.

Woops, the part number for the "trunk bottom carpet" is 64883800 - I forgot that your car will be RH drive. In any case, it's item 8 in table 112 if you want to look it up on Eurospares excellent web site. A look at the diagram will show you all the bits and pieces you would have to remove to get the lower "box" out.