What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

456GT - Engine ticking noise

jelh86

Hi everyone,

I have recently bought a lovely UK model 1995 456GT manual in Verde Silverstone over beige with green stiching and Verde Foresta carpets. It is a (very?) high mileage car, at just a shade under 100,000 miles. However, I was encouraged by the fact that it has obviously had the maintenance history to get it so far, and it is generally in very good condition for a car that has been driven and enjoyed. It was priced accordingly.

It received its last major belt service last year, and has just had this year's service. It has also just passed its annual MOT (the UK's annual statutory inspection, which is quite strict).

One major issue: when driving the car, at lower revs (upto around 3,000 rpm), there is a noticeable ticking from the engine. The volume varies a bit, but it is generally noticeable at all times, although it is less loud when the clutch is depressed when changing gear. It is far less noticeable when outside the car, even if the bonnet/hood is raised, so it is basically a cabin noise. It takes away from the V12 driving experience somewhat!

Any ideas? I'm wondering if this is just something age related, or it could even be something like noise insulation being worn/tired, which might explain why its most noticeable in the cabin?

Thanks!

Is it perhaps from the clutch area, and not the engine, if it is more noticeable inside? Does it vary with revs, or road speed. Hopefully nothing sinister. Well done on your purchase, it sound a lovely combination.

Is it perhaps from the clutch area, and not the engine, if it is more noticeable inside? Does it vary with revs, or road speed. Hopefully nothing sinister. Well done on your purchase, it sound a lovely combination.
Thank you. It varies with engine speed rather than road speed. At “fun” engine speeds it pretty much disappears