What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

Advice required: 2006 Manual vs 2008 low mileage F430

Well done mate! held your nerve through all that chit-chat!!
What a cracking car. IMHO, you got the right one for a first time Ferrari owner.

Nice looking car that :thumbsup:

Just want to chime in on the 'Low mileage' thing. I rarely drive my '07 F430 F1 and probably do 600-1000 miles a year and most of that is short runs.
I've had a slight whistling noise since about March, which I thought was an intake whistle as it was only really under acceleration.
I also used to get a flashing 4th gear indicator when driving and I was told it could be crap on the release bearing and to drive it more, but nothing was noticed at service time.

Then in November the car went in to neutral whilst driving and EML came on I could still drive it, but it was NOT happy.

So in to the dealer and it turns out the release bearing was sticking and pushing on the clutch.
In March wear was around 76% in November - 600 miles later it was 91% so it had worn the clutch out.
and due to the heat build up I also needed a flywheel. Then when I got home I then had an oil leak and found the crank seal had gone. Luckily they did this FOC as we discussed changing it at the time but the tech said it looked OK. Had I found this 6 months later it would have all been out again!
Main thing I was gutted about was that I always said if I needed a clutch I'd do a launch control, but we reckoned that the way the bearing was and the high wear it may do more damage FFS!
Although I did get a tie rod and ball joint done under warranty at the same time, so a bit of a brucey bonus.

This is the perfect example of why these cars are designed to be driven. Now you have the low mileage, use it as an excuse to not worry about putting a few miles on it.

I also think the thing with suspension bushes and track rod ends etc, will affect these car regardless of miles. I have a track rod end that needs replacing and it's only been on just over 2 years but the rubber boot has perished. Also the rubber on the flamblocks are starting to crack and they were done at the same time. It's just the crap Ferrari use to make the bushes, but I've never seen polybushes for these cars, which would be perfect.

Enjoy the car other than the above, I've not had to spend anything on mine in 2 years aside from servicing, but it bit me in the ar*e with the clutch.

Nice looking car that :thumbsup:

Just want to chime in on the 'Low mileage' thing. I rarely drive my '07 F430 F1 and probably do 600-1000 miles a year and most of that is short runs.
I've had a slight whistling noise since about March, which I thought was an intake whistle as it was only really under acceleration.
I also used to get a flashing 4th gear indicator when driving and I was told it could be crap on the release bearing and to drive it more, but nothing was noticed at service time.

Then in November the car went in to neutral whilst driving and EML came on I could still drive it, but it was NOT happy.

So in to the dealer and it turns out the release bearing was sticking and pushing on the clutch.
In March wear was around 76% in November - 600 miles later it was 91% so it had worn the clutch out.
and due to the heat build up I also needed a flywheel. Then when I got home I then had an oil leak and found the crank seal had gone. Luckily they did this FOC as we discussed changing it at the time but the tech said it looked OK. Had I found this 6 months later it would have all been out again!
Main thing I was gutted about was that I always said if I needed a clutch I'd do a launch control, but we reckoned that the way the bearing was and the high wear it may do more damage FFS!
Although I did get a tie rod and ball joint done under warranty at the same time, so a bit of a brucey bonus.

This is the perfect example of why these cars are designed to be driven. Now you have the low mileage, use it as an excuse to not worry about putting a few miles on it.

I also think the thing with suspension bushes and track rod ends etc, will affect these car regardless of miles. I have a track rod end that needs replacing and it's only been on just over 2 years but the rubber boot has perished. Also the rubber on the flamblocks are starting to crack and they were done at the same time. It's just the crap Ferrari use to make the bushes, but I've never seen polybushes for these cars, which would be perfect.

Enjoy the car other than the above, I've not had to spend anything on mine in 2 years aside from servicing, but it bit me in the ar*e with the clutch.

Sensible post - imagine if you had sold it just prior these events - low mileage full service history exactly the kind of thing prized by collectors and the market.

This was my first ferrari experience and the car in question was driven for 7 months then failed it’s MOT (Suspension Components) and thus presented its associated big bill.

I would suggest that buyers should consider whether they are collectors, posers, or drivers and buy accordingly.

Buy on condition not mileage has always been true in the real world. Trouble is 90% of ‘condition’ is stuff you can’t see unless you have a ramp and time.

Buy on condition not mileage has always been true in the real world. Trouble is 90% of ‘condition’ is stuff you can’t see unless you have a ramp and time.

We agree on something :) :thumbsup:

I’ve seen cars with 20k (recorded) miles with rust, worn interior, perished rubber components, old tyres, chipped paint, the list goes on. And cars with double that on them that look like they just departed the factory (or better in some cases) even when you look underneath. I’d always buy on condition over either milage or even service history. I’d personally prefer a car that’s been well cared for by an enthusiast over one simply with stamps in a book to protect the value. I’ve changed in this opinion over a few years of ownership but certainly with the older cars I think it hold true.

I am sure we agree on loads of stuff...

Good that you have changed your opinion based on evidence and real lived experience. Too much irrational commentary and behaviour these days especially with car / value / mileage / originality etc.

Can’t say too much but my car is stored alongside a spider that is older in years but the same mileage. Looking at the relative wear and condition between the two one has I am 99% certain been clocked in between services and MOT’s.

Either that or the driver wears Sandpaper gloves and trousers and it spends its summer months doing stage rallies...

I am sure we agree on loads of stuff...

Good that you have changed your opinion based on evidence and real lived experience. Too much irrational commentary and behaviour these days especially with car / value / mileage / originality etc.

Can’t say too much but my car is stored alongside a spider that is older in years but the same mileage. Looking at the relative wear and condition between the two one has I am 99% certain been clocked in between services and MOT’s.

Either that or the driver wears Sandpaper gloves and trousers and it spends its summer months doing stage rallies...
I have seen a 575 for sale at a main dealer the same - 7k miles, and sandpaper trousers definitely in play.

My car has 47k on it and the bolster is in better condition

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Sensible post - imagine if you had sold it just prior these events - low mileage full service history exactly the kind of thing prized by collectors and the market.

This was my first ferrari experience and the car in question was driven for 7 months then failed it’s MOT (Suspension Components) and thus presented its associated big bill.

I would suggest that buyers should consider whether they are collectors, posers, or drivers and buy accordingly.

Thanks. The thing is some all cars regardless are designed to be used, or the components will simply perish over time.
It's like you've experienced you may not see anything wrong until you go for a service or mot and you find out what's wrong and get a huge, unexpected bill.
I suppose this can happen with any car, but at this level repairs are not cheap.

As a side note to all concerned had a conversation with parts and service today and F430 and 599 suspension components have undergone a MASSIVE price increase. You are now looking at over £300 for a track rod end.

Once the novelty of having a shiny Ferrari has worn off, and you start getting larger bills you'll start wishing you drove them more to at least get you moneys worth.
I don't understand these super low mileage cars, and it makes me too question the 'actual' history of many of these cars (like the ones you describe) or for the genuine ones was someone too scared to drive it for fear of the bills.

Hill engineering will be rubbing their hands at that news.

It will likely mean that all cars will eventually get stainless ball joints and rod ends

My local dealer will fit customer supplied parts on non-warranty cars.

Hill engineering will be rubbing their hands at that news.

It will likely mean that all cars will eventually get stainless ball joints and rod ends

My local dealer will fit customer supplied parts on non-warranty cars.

Lovetts in Swindon have fitted uprated bits to my car. I guess its easy work for the boy in the garage and it helps to pay for the shiney workshop :laugh:

Also for anyone who is worried about originality, then I bet you will struggle to find any prospective buyer who would worry about seeing Hills stainless suspension bits on a 430/599/etc. They will either be really dim and wont know what a ball joint is, or have done their model research and realised that having the stainless items is a bonus :thumbsup:

Agree - given the lack of longevity for the OEM supplied parts - NOT having Hills items fitted would be a case for considering the car inferior and not as good value...